IGNORED

Newbie 7800 to modern TV question

BrewCrewFan77

Well, after getting some advice; I'm going to take the plunge and get a 7800.  Now, what is the best way to hook it up to a modern TV?  I have an old CRT in the basement but I'm not sure if it still works.  Plus I may want to have it upstairs to play when my nephews come over. (Show them what uncle had when he was their age.)

Welcome, and here's the more-or-less-boilerplate-by-now response :D

The 7800 only outputs RF.  If connected to the antenna jack of a modern TV, it may be able to be tuned in on analogue channels 2, 3, or 4.  However, not all modern TVs are capable of tuning analogue channels; they're digital-only.  The only reliable ways to find out if you TV supports analogue tuning is either by checking the owners' manual (though not all manuals will list if the capability is there or not), or by connecting the 7800 to the TV and seeing if it can pick up the machine's signal.

For the connection to the TV, you'll want a Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter.  This will convert the RCA-type plug on the 7800's RF cable to the screw-type terminal that the TV will most likely use.

There are options for both S-Video and Composite video output from the console (the UAV being one such option; the version with the Ivory Tower Collections 7800 UAV Mount & Maria fix is recommended), but those will require modifying the unit.  Direct digital output such as HDMI doesn't have an upgrade option at the moment, so would have to be handled by an external converter.