IGNORED

Verified Atari 2600+ FAQ - WIP

Electric-Dreams

I race cars. Burn a ton of hydrocarbons but it’s only 1/4 mile at a time. And I have a Tesla for my daily. Not at all anything to do with “verified and confirmed facts and features about the ATARI 2600+”Probably worthy of a thread all of its own but not in this forum 😂

But I love this 2600+ takes me back to my childhood 😉 Congrats to the developers great achievement and timely for those in their 50’s that couldn’t afford all these games when they were new 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tested the Track & Field controller yet with the 2600+?  I know it's just using Left, Right and Fire from the joystick controller, but I want to explicitly verify that it works, and I don't have one handy at the moment to test. 

Thank you!

..Al

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Albert said:

Has anyone tested the Track & Field controller yet with the 2600+?  I know it's just using Left, Right and Fire from the joystick controller, but I want to explicitly verify that it works, and I don't have one handy at the moment to test. 

Thank you!

..Al

Had a quick run and they work on both ports🤙

Tested only one event...

20240220_204925.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, swiller said:

Does Stagate work on 2600+? Listed as U (untested). Interested in picking up the PAL version. That may be another issue.

Yes, the NTSC version of Stargate works fine on the original firmware. I have verified this myself. 

..Al

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, swiller said:

Does Stagate work on 2600+? Listed as U (untested). Interested in picking up the PAL version. That may be another issue.

My PAL version works fine since V1.0.

Not sure if different PCB exists but mine works fine😊

20240323_184600.jpg

20240323_184618.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 4:17 PM, LS650 said:

When most folks think 'Atari' they think of a wood-grain console.  I think trying to roll out any other format would be a mistake.

Not necessarily. I think you are correct about the form factor. People recognize the shape of an Atari 2600, but a slightly modified Vader style system might work. Maybe not the red text (I was playing with a splash of color so it wasn't so B&W looking) but, I think you guys get the idea. I was trying to add in the brushed metal look, but it's hard to show in a still image.

NewVaderAtari2600.thumb.jpg.c436fad03c92a2d9f8379ba2534e902a.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, pboland said:

Not necessarily. I think you are correct about the form factor. People recognize the shape of an Atari 2600, but a slightly modified Vader style system might work. Maybe not the red text (I was playing with a splash of color so it wasn't so B&W looking) but, I think you guys get the idea. I was trying to add in the brushed metal look, but it's hard to show in a still image.

NewVaderAtari2600.thumb.jpg.c436fad03c92a2d9f8379ba2534e902a.jpg

Looks good also. Recognisable as the Atari VCS/2600.

22 hours ago, NicodemusLegend said:

Anecdotally, I think it’s just that the wood grain is so iconic. People who know the 2600 at all are more likely to immediately think of that version than any other.

This might be true, but if a new significant revision is ever released, making it look exactly like the current version is a very bad idea. It will create confusion with consumers and they will not understand why they should purchase a newer console that looks like the one they already own ("I think I already own that").

I know, some are going to say "make a six switch model". That might be possible but, new molds would need to be made and making new or modifying molds is really expensive. It would be a better option to just reuse the molds they already have. This means only small cosmetic changes can be made that have nothing to do with the molds and that is where the Vader style console idea comes in.

BTW, don't under estimate the physical shape of the 2600 console itself. I would bet that the shape is just as recognizable as the wood grain. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am sure this question is answered, but i do have a few about the full firmware updates once it goes public.

Afaik once public i know it will work with Linux which is great. But as far as that goes, is there a suggested release window for the first update? What will we expect from it? And will it be far easier to update the system than it is now?

Thank you, i love 2600+!

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 4:31 PM, pboland said:

This might be true, but if a new significant revision is ever released, making it look exactly like the current version is a very bad idea. It will create confusion with consumers and they will not understand why they should purchase a newer console that looks like the one they already own ("I think I already own that").

I know, some are going to say "make a six switch model". That might be possible but, new molds would need to be made and making new or modifying molds is really expensive. It would be a better option to just reuse the molds they already have. This means only small cosmetic changes can be made that have nothing to do with the molds and that is where the Vader style console idea comes in.

BTW, don't under estimate the physical shape of the 2600 console itself. I would bet that the shape is just as recognizable as the wood grain. ;)

Oooo nice a possible Vader!

I am a bit partial to the six switcher but i do understand those logistics.

However a bit of a far-fetched future idea would be if eventually the tech could be refined over time and such, what if there was a 2600+ Junior? Something very different but seemingly a good way to, in the future. Possibly give late era 2600 fans a bit of a throwback of sorts or maybe if its not far fetched be a really interesting budget option in the far future and i would kill to be able to go to some local grocery store's toys and games aisle and see the cutest little rainbow console on the shelf!

But then again, that kind of thinking is a bit overkill :D

Edited by Maztr_0n
dorky gushing

1 hour ago, Maztr_0n said:

I am sure this question is answered, but i do have a few about the full firmware updates once it goes public.

Afaik once public i know it will work with Linux which is great. But as far as that goes, is there a suggested release window for the first update? What will we expect from it? And will it be far easier to update the system than it is now?

Thank you, i love 2600+!

No definitive suggested release window for the first update has been provided.  What has actually been stated is in this post on Wednesday, May 15:

...Recently I've got someone looking at the re-writing the whole update process from scratch with the view to make it a more seamless, more professional branded process including Windows, Linux and MAC platforms. He says its all theoretically possible and has looked through everything, reported back deep feedback and made progress in compiling, but till I go through it and do it myself its all theory and ideas.

If only I could just wave a magic wand and have these things resolved I would. I always think about what the hell I can do to make things better as quickly as possible...then I realise the guys Albert kindly introduced me to... Chris, Mike and Fred, these guys have no peers in their fields, have improved everything they have touched with the 2600+ and I just need to encourage further co-operation.

Kind of the same story with the factory that makes the hardware and the guy looking at the update.

While Ben and the team remain hard at work, it is only a disservice to read or add more into what has been provided. 

Absolutely, the best and easiest upgrade solution is ideal, and all parties are working towards what is feasible to accomplish in the very near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Trebor said:

No definitive suggested release window for the first update has been provided.  What has actually been stated is in this post on Wednesday, May 15:

While Ben and the team remain hard at work, it is only a disservice to read or add more into what has been provided. 

Absolutely, the best and easiest upgrade solution is ideal, and all parties are working towards what is feasible to accomplish in the very near future.

Love to hear it, if it helps, i have Linux Mint and i dont think it recognizes the 2600+ when plugged in, hopefully that is something that hasnt been said too many times over and is helpful to further efforts

Love the work here, thanks for A'ing my Q's. :D

Any update on the CX21 Video Touchpad for the 2600+?

Any update on Pitfall II working after a firmware update or upcoming firmware update?

Sorry there are so many threads It's hard to figure where to post this.