IGNORED

Swordquest Earthworld Jr

grimlick

I've always though that the Swordquest games were ridiculously hard to figure out, if not impossible without a step-by-step guide.  So I decided to make a version that can be figured out within the game itself and not reliant on any outside clues like a manual or walk-through guide.

The basic game is the same.  Items must be found and placed in certain rooms. However, this has process has been organized and streamlined so that it's not as random as it was.

The graphics have been changed to make the item-to-room matching easier.

The clues, the items belonging to a particular room, and the number of items needed for each room has been changed to create a more logical progression to the placements.

The clues no longer point to the comic book, but instead show what the next room/item is.

The challenges are a bit easier (maybe too easy?).  The difficulty level in the original was way beyond my ability without slowing the emulator down, so this helps immensely.

I would love to see other variations of this game if anyone is open to re-hacking this hack or going back to the original and starting from there.

If interested, I can post the notes that I have that will help in easily hacking the game.

Special thanks to Asaki for posting the Earthworld source code deconstruction. That was invaluable in figuring out what does what in the code.

Check out his Swordquest Earthworld "tournament" hack in the hacks section (it is what inspired this whole thing here.)

SwordquestEarthworldJr.thumb.png.aea80d41f41778257148b0d5db04d1c3.png

SwordquestEarthworldJr_1.thumb.png.c7db7d7c8dea59fb93af39aa9e94f18a.png

SwordquestEarthworldJr_2.thumb.png.cf578b2b8a532f640a85fa5ead75e638.png

Swordquest Earthworld Jr.bin

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

Great idea - maybe you can make a PAL version for this? 

It is do-able.  However the PAL game layout is a bit different from the NTSC, as far as rooms and clues and the like, so it might have to be a different version, somewhat.

I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

I think this is brilliant.  You thinking of doing this for the other Swordquest games?

Yes, I've been working on some ideas for the other two.  I've actually started on the Fireworld Jr hack, but the Fireworld game itself is so buggy that I'm having a difficult time making it do what I want it to do. 

As a bit of a preview, I'm trying to incorporate the 'food' and 'dagger' clue that was given in Earthworld, but never followed up on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It took a lot longer than it probably should have, but her is the PAL version of the Swordquest Jr hack.

It is as close to the NTSC version as I could get it, but the PAL clue system is weirdly different and I couldn't quite figure out the number system.

(If anyone has some tips to fix that, I would greatly appreciate it.)

SwordquestEarthworldJr(PAL)(v1).thumb.png.ff4d454bbe02dfaef8d9b7eeb39e46b2.png

SwordquestEarthworldJr(PAL)(v1)_2.thumb.png.3295c1e34d6a435f5630871018e3cadd.png

SwordquestEarthworldJr(PAL)(v1)_4.thumb.png.258e1387a5c0a1bb82471cb06edcb2c2.png

Swordquest Earthworld Jr (PAL)(v1).bin

Well, onwards to the Fireworld hack, should be a lot of fun figuring that one out!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

The idea of making an easier SwordQuest game is excellent, and the symbols that you drawn work very well.

The challenges are a bit easier (maybe too easy?)

I would say that the challenges are a LOT easier !

And to me, they are not too easy, they are just fine. The original game was so hard that it is a real pleasure with your new version to solve the clues in less than a week (in fact in about one hour).

Did you give a name to the rooms and items ? I would like to have the names of this four symbols, I am not sure what they are :

SwordQuestJrEarthworld-Whatsthat-.png.3e3736f7d7cec468f18bf6da980bed8c.png

(I see a Christmas tree, a firework, the waves of the sea and a kind of svastika or a little character ?)

SwordQuest was one of my favourite game,

Swordquest Jr will be one of my friend's !

Great job.

On 4/18/2024 at 12:18 AM, Zeelay said:

Did you give a name to the rooms and items ? I would like to have the names of this four symbols, I am not sure what they are :

SwordQuestJrEarthworld-Whatsthat-.png.3e3736f7d7cec468f18bf6da980bed8c.png

(I see a Christmas tree, a firework, the waves of the sea and a kind of svastika or a little character ?)

Those were my attempts at the four elements: earth (tree) fire (firework) water (waves) and a air (supposed to be a cloud).

I'm glad you enjoyed the Jr version.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...