IGNORED

Paddle controllers

On 9/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, Lucos said:

Does anyone know if original paddle controllers are compatible with any of the Flashback consoles? I have a Flashback 8 and 9 and wanted to pick up paddles but I keep reading mixed results on paddle compatibility. 

Except in a select few cases, original paddles and AtGames paddles are cross-compatible. Unfortunately, paddle performance is not the best on the Flashback consoles due to how the hardware polls the controller ports. Some people don't mind, and they're certainly usable, but not ideal like if you were using perfect paddles on an original console on a CRT.

• 2 weeks later...

Paddles basically don't function on the Flashback 9, at least the HDMI versions, as far as I know.  There is a theoretical way to mod them to work but hard to source the right parts.

Paddles do work on AFB 8, including original paddles, but not wonderfully.  They also work on the Flashback X and 50th anniversary editions as well.  AFB50 had a firmware update to address and improve paddle performance.

None of them come close to the smooth feel of Stella with something like a 2600daptor, much less real hardware.

• Like 1