IGNORED

StoneAge (WIP)

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing StoneAge on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us in the chat!

Games:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

she looks positively glowing - no wonder she is popping out those eggs all the time.

cyan - almost, no?

Or is it just a bad picture?

In the first games she was blue with a little bit green, with the PAL update she is green with blue

Ok, the pic is not perfect, my phonecam is a pice of sh*t. I can make better pics this weekend.

Update: This is a little earlier than i normally would release to the public. There was a game breaking bug which i hope is now resolved. I have tested since fixing and cannot break the game. So hopefully it's all good now

Build_20231209

• graphics  - egg stash sprites revised (KG)
  • graphics  - caveman with egg sprites revised (KG)
  • hardware - moved to bankset scheme (AQ)
  • bugfix      - player could knock out t-rex at the same time as triggering the t-rex eating routine (AQ)

As for the bankset ROM's these are in preparation for further expansion of the game. I have tested the ROM in A7800 and all is fine on my end however i don't own an 7800GD flash cart. So obviously have no idea if it runs as it should on real hardware. As far as i know Concerto and Drangonfly carts do not support the bankset scheme either.

Either way both standard and bankset contain the same content for now. If anyone does have a 7800GD flash cart and would like to test, i would love to know if it's running correctly. Thankyou 👍

Standard: StoneAge 20231209.a78 StoneAge 20231209.bin

Bankset: StoneAge_bankset 20231209.a78 StoneAge_bankset 20231209.bin

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Either way both standard and bankset contain the same content for now. If anyone does have a 7800GD flash cart and would like to test, i would love to know if it's running correctly.

Bankset images are working perfectly under 7800GD with Firmware 23.12.0639 installed:

image.png.234066ce1081ac9ec52bb36a73d433d5.png

image.png.afb18fc065e433beb432c4153bbf6fb7.png

Don't mind the quickly captured and ugly CRT images, it looks beautiful live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Bankset images are working perfectly under 7800GD with Firmware 23.12.0639 installed:

Don't mind the quickly captured and ugly CRT images, it looks beautiful live.

Thanks mate!

More than happy to see the bankset ROM working correctly on real hardware 😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Update: This is a little earlier than i normally would release to the public. There was a game breaking bug which i hope is now resolved. I have tested since fixing and cannot break the game. So hopefully it's all good now

Build_20231209

• graphics  - egg stash sprites revised (KG)
  • graphics  - caveman with egg sprites revised (KG)
  • hardware - moved to bankset scheme (AQ)
  • bugfix      - player could knock out t-rex at the same time as triggering the t-rex eating routine (AQ)

As for the bankset ROM's these are in preparation for further expansion of the game. I have tested the ROM in A7800 and all is fine on my end however i don't own an 7800GD flash cart. So obviously have no idea if it runs as it should on real hardware. As far as i know Concerto and Drangonfly carts do not support the bankset scheme either.

Either way both standard and bankset contain the same content for now. If anyone does have a 7800GD flash cart and would like to test, i would love to know if it's running correctly. Thankyou 👍

Standard: StoneAge 20231209.a78 StoneAge 20231209.bin

Bankset: StoneAge_bankset 20231209.a78 StoneAge_bankset 20231209.bin

Um.... DF FW update 1.09 adds in corrected banksets? Has that not been tested yet? I've updated quite a few DF carts sent into me for the 1.09FW update. Unless this is a newer implementation of the banksets setup that RJ just needs to know about to see if he can implement it?

Update* yeah...this is a no go. The 7800 acts like it doesn't even see a game in the console when trying the banksets version of the game. So this must be another variant for banksets that the DF isn't programmed for? I know there are 2 banksets methods the DF is able to do currently. So yeah, has anyone brought this up with @rj1307 yet to see if it can be implemented into DF FW? Hopefully it can be done with a simple FW update and not require a full update of the DF itself having to use the JTAG header?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TwentySixHundred

There is an odd graphical glitch that occurs across and entire pixel line vertically around the first 1/3 of the screen from the left. I only noticed it when the caveman was walking and when he passes by that spot it shows up as small broken dots that aren't visible unless a sprite object is along that line. The two shots below show an entire screen view so you know where it is happening, and the second shot shows it a bit more in detail. This is from my actual 7800 via 7800GD with latest FW as I just updated it shortly before loading this up.

20231209_132314.thumb.jpg.bd211d92a6d6a2c3a621d9707e49f3f0.jpg

20231209_132322.thumb.jpg.d992cf6a9562a4061f3273e95a553418.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Um.... DF FW update 1.09 adds in corrected banksets? Has that not been tested yet? I've updated quite a few DF carts sent into me for the 1.09FW update. Unless this is a newer implementation of the banksets setup that RJ just needs to know about to see if he can implement it?

Update* yeah...this is a no go. The 7800 acts like it doesn't even see a game in the console when trying the banksets version of the game. So this must be another variant for banksets that the DF isn't programmed for? I know there are 2 banksets methods the DF is able to do currently. So yeah, has anyone brought this up with @rj1307 yet to see if it can be implemented into DF FW? Hopefully it can be done with a simple FW update and not require a full update of the DF itself having to use the JTAG header?

Thanks,

My best guess without being a bankset guru would be, as this is a 48k ROM bankset (96k) maybe the DF doesn't fully support that ROM size. But that is just a stab in the dark and i guess @rj1307@RevEng@batari would have more of an idea.

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@TwentySixHundred

There is an odd graphical glitch that occurs across and entire pixel line vertically around the first 1/3 of the screen from the left. I only noticed it when the caveman was walking and when he passes by that spot it shows up as small broken dots that aren't visible unless a sprite object is along that line. The two shots below show an entire screen view so you know where it is happening, and the second shot shows it a bit more in detail. This is from my actual 7800 via 7800GD with latest FW as I just updated it shortly before loading this up.

That is an interesting glitch not present in emulation nor can i see it on James's ZPH stream from the other night. Makes me wonder if it's a 7800GD only glitch or on real hardware in general. Is there a difference with the standard ROM vs bankset ROM or is it present all the time?

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks,

My best guess without being a bankset guru would be, as this is a 48k ROM bankset (96k) maybe the DF doesn't fully support that ROM size. But that is just a stab in the dark and i guess @rj1307@RevEng@batari would have more of an idea.

That is an interesting glitch not present in emulation nor can i see it on James's ZPH stream from the other night. Makes me wonder if it's a 7800GD only glitch or on real hardware in general. Is there a difference with the standard ROM vs bankset ROM or is it present all the time?

That is the Bankset ROM on my 7800GD through my consoles actual AV output and not from the 7800GD's AV output. But I can see about loading up the standard version to play from my DF cart and see if that along with the 7800GD output looks any different.

Okay... I figured out what is was. It is the Break being enabled will cause this although sometimes when pause the game using the Break menu and then returning back to the game it will go away for a bit. Disabling Break for the game, the graphical issue never crops up. 

Didn't test the standard ROM so not sure if it would do it on that version as well, but yeah, the break option seems to be the culprit.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I checked my conversations with Rafal just now, and yes, DragonFly only supports the "2x128k+RAM+Pokey" banksets mapper.

• Thanks 1

Update! Today was pterodactyl day as TIX sent these fresh frames though couple of days ago.

Build_20231214

• graphics - pterodactyl sprites revised (KG)
  • graphics - small changes to background (AQ)
  • engine    - pterodactyl fly/intelligence routine revised (AQ)
  • engine    - pterodactyl death routine revised (AQ)
  • bugfix     - volcano rock tracking issue fixed (AQ)

Note: This is a bankset only build so you will need an 7800GD for real hardware or use A7800

Latest Build: StoneAge_bankset_20231214.a78 StoneAge_bankset_20231214.bin

• Like 7

Update

Build_20231219

• graphics - pterodactyl sprites revised (KG)
  • graphics - caveman death sprites (KG)
  • engine    - caveman death animation (AQ)
  • engine    - mama T-Rex continues movement during intermision screens (AQ)
  • engine    - volcano continues animation during intermision screens (AQ)
  • engine    - pterodactyl will fly away with stolen egg (AQ)

Latest Build: StoneAge_bankset_20231219.a78 StoneAge_bankset_20231219.bin

• Like 5

On 10/3/2023 at 12:07 AM, fdr4prez said:

I've not played your game, but i've watched your video a few times.

Back then, i should have explained deeper that I've never played any 7800 game :( 

I am more of an Intellivision and 2600 guy, but I am interested in your game since I loved the original game so much as a kid.

I just installed a7800 and played the latest posted version.  So this is my very first 7800 game that i've ever played :) 

Three things that i noticed:

#1 = As we know, the 7800 has two separate fire buttons on the controller, but at the title screen it says to press the fire button to start the game and only one fire is detected and the other fire button does not start the game.  Also when you throw your axe, it is the other fire button that would throw it and the fire button that was used to start the game is ignored.  Can the game utilize both fire buttons to start the game and utilize both fire buttons to throw?  basically make the game controller universal.  I don't have an original 7800 controller to use with my 2600-dapter, so I am using the keyboard right now, but if I did have an original 7800 controller, then I'd hold the controller in my left hand and i'd be using my left thumb for the fire button.  Is that the current throwing button?

#2 = the volcano actually aims for you.  When the volcano launches lava balls, it targets your current position.  This means that you can't simply stand still for very long, since the volcano always targets your current location.  Maybe in amateur mode (or at least in the first few levels) the volcano would be random lava balls and pro mode would remain targeted lava ball throws.

#3 = as you hold the egg, then the dino will never lay another egg.  Not sure if there is any good reason to do this.  Why would she stop laying eggs since you are simply carrying around the last egg?  If you are taking your time carrying around the first egg, then if the dino continues her egg laying timing pattern then there is a good chance that the next egg that is laid would be hatched before you get back to it. 

• Like 3