IGNORED

Atari 7800 controllers

maxdrive

20 hours ago, maxdrive said:

With the 2600+ being announced. Atari is making new 2600 and paddle controllers. Do you think Atari will make new 7800 joysticks or joy pads as well for the 7800 games?

Looks like they gonna release a new controller👍

I use now a unijoysticle2 in the C64 version on my Atari7800 and expect it to work on the 2600+ as well. On the original hw you need to supply external power but then it runs fine supporting A and B buttons.

The C64GS joystick uses the same pins for 2nd and 3rd button, so it works.

With this device you can connect any controller via bluetooth. 

For some games I use a Dualsense to have a jump button (up) but mostly an 8bitdo Arcade stick with Seimitsu and Sanwa parts which gives me the perfect arcade feeling playing Commando🤙

https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/unijoysticle2/-/blob/main/docs/user_guide.md

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Only with the Mega7800 adapter

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1295

To be tested on the 2600+...

Ah ok.. I just tested the pictured wireless retrobit on my 2600 and it works fine, I wonder what the reason is that the 2600+ can't use it without an adapter? Is it because its emulation it can't recognise the receiver?

2 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

Ah ok.. I just tested the pictured wireless retrobit on my 2600 and it works fine, I wonder what the reason is that the 2600+ can't use it without an adapter? Is it because its emulation it can't recognise the receiver?

I would expect it to work on the 2600+ as well but it should be tested. The adapter needs power from the port. I don't expect the 2600+ will deliver less than the original 2600 but who knows. I have a Unijoysticle2 connected to my 2600 and 7800 but need to feed external power. Hope it will work on the 2600+ as well, as you can connect almost any controller via bluetooth to it :)

Wireless on 2600+ (or just 2600) can be cool because there is no cable for kids etc to fall over but when playing plus cart (+) you still need to get up press the reset button to go back to menus. If using original carts then unless you plan a long stint you still need to get up to change carts. I need to think positively.. I can play Atari without wires and still get my steps in!

WIN WIN 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

Wireless on 2600+ (or just 2600) can be cool because there is no cable for kids etc to fall over but when playing plus cart (+) you still need to get up press the reset button to go back to menus. If using original carts then unless you plan a long stint you still need to get up to change carts. I need to think positively.. I can play Atari without wires and still get my steps in!

WIN WIN 😂

Yes, even with long cables, I had to get up to select reset on some games...

BTW, if you want to use A and B button on some 7800 games, I still expect you need that adapter to have both buttons working on your Genesis pad.

The Unijoysticle2 only accept bluetooth, your receiver works with 2.4 GHz, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 1:08 AM, ace2184 said:

Not to thread hijack, but do we think third party controllers will work with the 2600+? I'd love to know my Edladdin controller will work with it.

Just ordered an Edladdin 7800 controller so I got my fingers crossed that this 2600+ will accept it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, DEANJIMMY said:

Looks like they gonna release a new controller👍

I use now a unijoysticle2 in the C64 version on my Atari7800 and expect it to work on the 2600+ as well. On the original hw you need to supply external power but then it runs fine supporting A and B buttons.

The C64GS joystick uses the same pins for 2nd and 3rd button, so it works.

With this device you can connect any controller via bluetooth. 

For some games I use a Dualsense to have a jump button (up) but mostly an 8bitdo Arcade stick with Seimitsu and Sanwa parts which gives me the perfect arcade feeling playing Commando🤙

https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/unijoysticle2/-/blob/main/docs/user_guide.md

The unijoysticle2 C64 even with external power does not work correctly on the 2600+.

Sticks seem to work but you get very strange behaviour like continues autofire and other strange stuff.

I would not recommend to use it all!!!

It works on the original 2600 and 7800 consoles, even not designed for them but on the 2600+ you get such strange results... better not connect it!

With external power(!) it did not harm the console but I would not use it at all to be on the safe side...

BTW there seem to be issues with the Mega7800 on the 2600+ too (only one button works).

On 11/17/2023 at 11:37 PM, DEANJIMMY said:

The unijoysticle2 C64 even with external power does not work correctly on the 2600+.

Sticks seem to work but you get very strange behaviour like continues autofire and other strange stuff.

I would not recommend to use it all!!!

It works on the original 2600 and 7800 consoles, even not designed for them but on the 2600+ you get such strange results... better not connect it!

With external power(!) it did not harm the console but I would not use it at all to be on the safe side...

BTW there seem to be issues with the Mega7800 on the 2600+ too (only one button works).

Well, I found that my extension cables did not connect properly to my 2600+ as I had issues with paddles, too.

Fixed it and tested the standard unijoysticle2 (not the C64 version).

It supports only one button but can combine the two ports on one pad, too.

I just played Robotron 2084 twinstick with a dualsense which was good fun👍

But it needs external USB power, never connect it to the 2600+ without!!!

Now I would need to test the C64 version on the 2600+ if A B buttons work on 7800 games...😬

But most of the PAL 7800 carts with two button games fail on the 2600+...

On a real 7800 the unijoysticle2 C64 works fine but never miss the external power!

20231119_160248.jpg

4 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Well, I found that my extension cables did not connect properly to my 2600+ as I had issues with paddles, too.

Fixed it and tested the standard unijoysticle2 (not the C64 version).

It supports only one button but can combine the two ports on one pad, too.

I just played Robotron 2084 twinstick with a dualsense which was good fun👍

But it needs external USB power, never connect it to the 2600+ without!!!

Now I would need to test the C64 version on the 2600+ if A B buttons work on 7800 games...😬

But most of the PAL 7800 carts with two button games fail on the 2600+...

On a real 7800 the unijoysticle2 C64 works fine but never miss the external power!

20231119_160248.jpg

Unijoysticle2 C64 does not work on 2600+!

Only the standard version can be used but then only one button will work in 7800 games.

Does anybody knows if the Mega7800 works on the 2600+ ?

14 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

We announced on Friday that we are making a 7800 two-button controller, an extension cable, and a paddle pack that ships without the 4-in-1 game cart for those who don't want it (or want a second set of paddles).

Haven't confirmed dates yet but I know they are pushing for as soon as possible. 

Thanks for hat!

I will get a bunch of extension cables🤗

The new ones you can buy at ebay often give you trouble using paddles or 7800 pads with A/B buttons on the 2600+

My old ones from the 80s are still good.

It is a question of wires and shielding quality.

Hopefuly the Atari cables get tested with a two button controller, paddles and appropriate games.

With bad cables, one button randomly triggers the other or the paddle drifts.

In Ikari Warriors you sometimes throw a grenade with the shoot button if you use a low quality cable.

Edited by DEANJIMMY

Just now, tradyblix said:

I can't believe the Sega Genesis controllers don't work right

I'm waiting to see if the retro bit wireless genesis controllers work. They work flawlessly on the OG 2600, no additional power required, just plug the receiver in to the controller port and away we go. 

• Like 3