IGNORED

Help to identify this 2600 controller

bcb01

This is essentially a CX-40, but every one I can find online only has 1 button. This one has 2. It is an original and came with a 2600 I have had since childhood. I have been digging around to get more information but I can't even find another image of one with 2 buttons like this. I have 3 controllers identical, there are no other markings/labels on it other than what you see (including on sides/bottom), that might otherwise help identify it. 

Thanks team!

atari-2.jpg

• Like 1

I have never seen anything like this.

Do both fire buttons use the very same trigger?

I realise that the 2600 only uses one button, but this function could be tested on a Genesis (or the case carefully opened and the circuit traced). This may give a clue if it was originally designed for another console.

26 minutes ago, jhd said:

I have never seen anything like this.

Do both fire buttons use the very same trigger?

I realise that the 2600 only uses one button, but this function could be tested on a Genesis (or the case carefully opened and the circuit traced). This may give a clue if it was originally designed for another console.

It's been quite a while since I've booted the 2600 up, but I seem to recall that the second button didn't do anything. Or, possibly it did the same thing as the other button. I wonder if possibly a left / right hand feature if it was indeed designed for the 2600. I agree, it seems like it would have been designed for some other console otherwise, just so close to the style and look of the 2600 joystick. I just was really surprised that, upon doing image searches, I couldn't find a single other similar one. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:08 AM, bcb01 said:

This is essentially a CX-40, but every one I can find online only has 1 button. This one has 2. It is an original and came with a 2600 I have had since childhood. I have been digging around to get more information but I can't even find another image of one with 2 buttons like this. I have 3 controllers identical, there are no other markings/labels on it other than what you see (including on sides/bottom), that might otherwise help identify it. 

Thanks team!

atari-2.jpg

Is that a 3rd button on the top of joystick or just the design of the ball top? I can kinda see what looks like a seam around that top circle like it might be independent of the rest of the molding and able to be pressed?

On 10/3/2023 at 8:08 AM, bcb01 said:

Thanks team!

atari-2.jpg

Two button clone of the CX-40 and quite similar to the Bebek and BP V-8801 joystick.

joystick.jpg

You can find it on Atari Compendium.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 2

I really like that joystick. And I would be very interested in having one just to try it out.

Back in the day, I actually envisioned modding one of my spare 2600 joysticks by “adding” a second identical button on the other side just like that. And even adding a toggle switch so that I could place that second button into 7800 or ColecoVision mode.

Fast forward to present day however (being older and wiser) and when you really process the idea and give it some thought, you soon realize it actually isn’t practical. Reason being there is no comfortable / convenient way of actually pressing a button over there. Granted, in a slow paced game where you only press it every so often, maybe so. But in a fast action game where you need to press it almost as often as the other button, it’s simply in a bad place.

You simply cannot use any of the fingers on your right hand to press any button anywhere on a 2600 stick because you need it to hold the controller itself. Ideally, placing a second button on the front left edge of the controller, where your left hands index finger naturally rests, would be far better.

6 hours ago, Supergun said:

You simply cannot use any of the fingers on your right hand to press any button anywhere on a 2600 stick because you need it to hold the controller itself. Ideally, placing a second button on the front left edge of the controller, where your left hands index finger naturally rests, would be far better.

Or use this:
ee043de6-f6ba-11e5-8455-7756e734630f.thumb.jpg.aa1e6ebbe5236ca0bf5502b03e3dc47d.jpg
My favorite controller.

Micro switches and unbreakable.

8)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Supergun said:

Do I need to patent this before everyone steals my ideas?

The first one is for the 2600, hence the second cable, for playing Stargate and Spy Hunter. The second is for the 7800 so I never have to use a pro-line again. I used Flashback joysticks for these hacks because they have more room inside for the switches and wiring than a real CX-40.

2600 two-button.jpg

7800 two-button.jpg

3 hours ago, tkarner said:

Do I need to patent this before everyone steals my ideas?

The first one is for the 2600, hence the second cable, for playing Stargate and Spy Hunter. The second is for the 7800 so I never have to use a pro-line again. I used Flashback joysticks for these hacks because they have more room inside for the switches and wiring than a real CX-40.

2600 two-button.jpg

7800 two-button.jpg

IMG_1712.gif.8d625d0f8cb3b65fdc88185560172926.gif

OMG! Eureka!

Quite literally exactly what I envisioned!

This one is my NES compatible stick.
It was a chore getting that second button lined up and drilled perfectly to line up with the button it actuates.

The red top on #2 is from a NES controller.
The two little black ones handle the start and pause buttons.
It has a hacked up NES controller board inside of it.

image.thumb.jpeg.a48a9fbc4fd9edbe85081750dc5aea00.jpeg

This one is modded for 7800 dual buttons. I went the easy route and put a complete button in the #2 spot.

IMG_6308.thumb.jpeg.2c5caf6105c60e0519e0f5bc40b25e90.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, the key point here is to take notice how all of these joysticks place the second button on the left hand side near the first button.

Having it on the right side looks great and is more symmetrical, but is impractical. It’s just impossible to reliably push the button as needed during intense gameplay.