IGNORED

New game: Robin Hood

Retrospect

ROBINHOOD.zip <<< Cassette image and Disk image here.  For disk loading, OLD DSK1.ROBIN

Robin Hood is a TI Basic (not XB) game that has the player as Robin , attempting to rescue Maid Marian from Nottingham Castle at night time.

In pure tradition of TI Basic games it's like wading through treacle, but the graphics are pleasant and it functions.  

Note:  Arrows and Fireballs will kill you if they are a character in front of you.

The last screen is good - there's a moving ledge , over a deep drop, and you have to jump on the ledge, and keep walking with the ledge and time your jump to the other side!
To rescue maiden simply walk to the edge of the screen and robin shall appear next to her on the tower ledge.

Play with keyboard .... Keys are S = backwards, D = forwards, E = jump upwards, R = jump forwards.

If anyone wants to compile the game for the FG99 thingy , feel free.  If no one does it I might. If I can be bothered.

Also, when you die and fall off the castle, the player characters do not disrupt the graphics at all.  It's like a sprite but not a sprite.  :)

js99er-20231005123236.png.c8be195af9041a642e37256e1e2beaed.pngjs99er-20231005123152.png.86c5f9fb491e2a4ac3272ab34f8b0cea.pngjs99er-20231005123142.png.889523f95f01345eb143ef94e413e1a3.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Here's a video of the game running on a TI-99/8 (emulator)  ... it's a bit peppier for speed but since it was written in plain TI Basic for the 4A it is not in any way optimized for the 99/8.

I am now tempted to try making this game natively on the 99/8 taking advantage of the extra speed and memory.  

• Like 15

31 minutes ago, dasch said:

Hi Retrospect!

The game looks great, especially the 99/8 version. I'm trying to run from the disk image via TIPI but I'm getting "MEMORY FULL IN 1001". Any hot tips?

Not to worry, I got it loaded by turning off the PEB and loading the WAV file.

Yes, it's like wading through treacle. But you have to love the 80's pop music references. Great job!!

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 4:36 AM, Retrospect said:

Here's a video of the game running on a TI-99/8 (emulator)  ... it's a bit peppier for speed but since it was written in plain TI Basic for the 4A it is not in any way optimized for the 99/8.

I am now tempted to try making this game natively on the 99/8 taking advantage of the extra speed and memory.  

Hi Joe, if you run it with RXB2022 you get the same speed increase as using a 99/8 but unfortunately for some reason the game character falls to his death as soon as you move, a simple fix maybe? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OX. said:

Hi Joe, if you run it with RXB2022 you get the same speed increase as using a 99/8 but unfortunately for some reason the game character falls to his death as soon as you move, a simple fix maybe? 

if that's not happening in normal TI Basic, and not happening on the 99/8, and only occurring in RXB then i'd ask Rich about that because I can't think why that would happen there and not with the others?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrospect said:

if that's not happening in normal TI Basic, and not happening on the 99/8, and only occurring in RXB then i'd ask Rich about that because I can't think why that would happen there and not with the others?

@RXB I noticed there is also a problem when trying to run "In The Dark" using RXB 2022 - "Subprogram not found in 1160", is this related Rich or something else?

1 hour ago, OX. said:

@RXB I noticed there is also a problem when trying to run "In The Dark" using RXB 2022 - "Subprogram not found in 1160", is this related Rich or something else?

Yea I did not update IN THE DARK for 2022 it will run in RXB 2020 version fine.

As for  "Subprogram not found in 1160" can you send me the TI Basic source code so I can find the problem?

I don't know about 2022 rxb but i tried robin hood with the latest 2023.   

One of the issues is this, if we have PRINT :::  in ti basic, it doesn't translate very well to any XB.  It does this PRINT :: : (with a space)
The other issue I got was the game causes a lock-up (which can't be broken out of ) after you die.

In either case Robin Hood was only intended for TI Basic.  It was meant to push TI Basic to it's limits.  Had I intended it for other BASICs I would have ignored TI Basic and written it for Extended Basic.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

I don't know about 2022 rxb but i tried robin hood with the latest 2023.   

One of the issues is this, if we have PRINT :::  in ti basic, it doesn't translate very well to any XB.  It does this PRINT :: : (with a space)
The other issue I got was the game causes a lock-up (which can't be broken out of ) after you die.

In either case Robin Hood was only intended for TI Basic.  It was meant to push TI Basic to it's limits.  Had I intended it for other BASICs I would have ignored TI Basic and written it for Extended Basic.  

If using XB and RXB 2022 both work the same way with PRINT ::: it does not work same as TI Basic, so like XB you need to do a PRINT :: : in RXB 2022

As what is the line at 1160 could you please show me that line?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Retrospect said:

That's not for my game, i don't have a line 1160, that's for In the Dark.  @OX.

Oh sorry thought the problem was in a TI Basic problem.

RXB 2024 will include a new version of IN THE DARK that works again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

How do you run the disk version without getting MEMORY FULL IN 1001?

Ok here is a zip file of RXB 2020 and it has that working version of IN THE DARK included.

This will work with FINALGROM or Classic99 and some other emulators.

Just to make a point that IN THE DARK only works if you have a SAMS card or SAMS memory expansion with at least 512K MEG of RAM.

RXB 2020E.zip

• Like 2