IGNORED

Sega Genesis Controllers with Atari 2600

Don 2600 and 5200

My apologies if this has been answered before, but I've searched the forum and I haven't found the exact answer I'm looking for.

I've seen and read online that some gamers are using the original Sega Genesis 6-button controllers with their Atari 7800 systems.

My two questions are:

1.  Will the original Sega Genesis 6-button controllers work with the light sixer version of the 2600, and if so, will they work with all games from all manufacturers?

2.  Will the newer Sega Genesis 6-button controllers made by Retro-Bit work with the light sixer version of the 2600, and if so, will they work with all games from all manufacturers?

Any other info or experience you may have on this topic would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance for your time and expertise!

10 minutes ago, Don 2600 and 5200 said:

Does your response include the newer Retro-Bit controllers?

I've not tested this myself but a standard 3 button Genesis controller can be used with I think Button C acting as the fire button. But on 7800 games it doesn't work quire right if memory serves.

What you have seen referenced on the 7800 side, is that it is possible to use a Genesis 3 or 6 button controller on the 7800 if you use an adapter like the Ed Laddin Seagull 78 or the Mega78. That said, the Mega78 or at least the first revision of the Mega78 like I have, treats the retro-bit 6 button controller as a 3 button controller. Newer versions of the Mega78 recognize the Retro-bit 6button as a proper 6 button genesis controller.

14 minutes ago, Don 2600 and 5200 said:

Does your response include the newer Retro-Bit controllers?

I can confirm they work on all my 2600 machines (6, 4 switch an jr). The retro-bit controllers are a bit smaller than the original genesis Controllers - i like them very much. I own 2 black and 2 in blue.

Yes, Genesis controllers will work on an Atari.

• B = Atari firebutton
  • C = secondary firebutton

All the original games only recognize B.

If you have a flash cart, such as the Harmony, a number of games have been hacked to support C.  A number of homebrews also support it, you can find more info here:

• Thanks 3

On 10/5/2023 at 12:36 PM, Absalon said:

I can confirm they work on all my 2600 machines (6, 4 switch an jr). The retro-bit controllers are a bit smaller than the original genesis Controllers - i like them very much. I own 2 black and 2 in blue.

Thanks very much for this information, Absalon!

On 10/5/2023 at 12:36 PM, Absalon said:

I have to use the seagull 78s in my 2600 jr to get the 8bitdo receivers to work.  Not sure about retrobit.  Never used them.

On 10/5/2023 at 4:29 PM, SpiceWare said:

Yes, Genesis controllers will work on an Atari.

• B = Atari firebutton
  • C = secondary firebutton

All the original games only recognize B.

If you have a flash cart, such as the Harmony, a number of games have been hacked to support C.  A number of homebrews also support it, you can find more info here:

Thanks so much for this Darrell!!

I must have forgotten all about this thread!

• Like 1