IGNORED

Problem with Hyper-XF in xf551: Help!

I have two xf551s and I have tried Hyper-XF-A (5.25" version) and cannot successfully format a DSDD disk. SSSD, SSED both format successfully. The DSDD gets to the end of the format/verify (done in a single pass) and fails with error 173, apparently as soon as it moves to the last track.

I have tried two different xf551 using multiple drive mechanisms (Mitsumi [original], chinon [original], tandon, fuji, teac, alps, panasonic). I have tried many different floppy disks, new and used. I have downloaded and burned the Hyper-XF-A from multiple sites. I have used multiple computers. Lastly, all of the aforementioned items work perfectly with the original, or a burned copy,of the Atari PROM version 7, which formats DSDD in multiple passes (not the single pass of Hyper-XF).

So is there something I am missing? I like the features of the Hyper-XF especially the promise of auto-density selection working (I find the v7 density "stubbornness" intolerable).

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Note: DSDD or 360k will only work in the Hyper-XF  modes X and S, not in modes AB(CD), unsure about modes M and F.

Some DOS versions will not format 360k when using hyperspeed or ultraspeed (back then ultraspeed was max. 180k, some DOS versions will recognize ultraspeed and then limit themselves to 180k). MyDOS should work however with 360k, but without ultraspeed.

Format MyDOS 360k:

- use option "P" to set the drive to double density

- use option "O" to configure the drive:

- drive number or Return? 1 (or 2,3,4)

[Return will configure the DOS, not the drive]

- remove drive? N

- is drive double sided? Y

- tracks? 40

- steprate? 0 or 1 (I always forget the correct steprate value)

- type "A" for Atari enhanced density, "Y" to format drive? Y

And if I did not forget anything, then MyDOS should format 360k.

I once patched TurboDOS 2.1XF by Reitershan for hyperspeed/ultraspeed (instead of XF highspeed), but alas, the DOS did not work with 360k anymore. But in the end I avoided the 360k format whenever possible...

• Like 1

Thanks @manterola and @CharlieChaplin

I was using DOS XE in my initial post. I tried MyDos and the 360k format worked perfectly (following the steps above). Thank you!

I will experiment with different features and try out a few of the DOS alternatives and ensure Hyper-XF is what I want.

@manterola, I did try the Bob Woolley (5.25) code/OS but it did not switch densities when using DOS XE. Maybe it will work with another DOS. Now that I understand the HXF issue, I'll go back and retry things to eliminate any mistakes I may have made.

Again, thank you both for your replies; great help!