IGNORED

Playing Game Select Games

cvga

Had a retrogaming friend visit for the weekend. I had purchased all 6 Game Select games and waited for his visit to try them out. Here is our ranking and initial thoughts...

1. Food Ninja - We were wondering how they would port a game where you use your finger to cut fruit in half but they did a great job. It had good graphics was fast paced and the cutting worked extremely well. We had a great time with it. Highly recommended.

2. H.E.R.O. 2 - This was certainly well thought out. We loved the back story in the instructions (that was true for nearly all of the games) and it plays like, well, H.E.R.O. It was nice to have some new levels, graphics and foes. At the end of the day it felt just like H.E.R.O. which is a good thing right? If you love H.E.R.O. and want some new levels this is highly recommended.

3. Asteroids Attack - A horizontal shooter that had some really interesting features (for example you can only see the enemy spaceship fire in the first 3 waves but once you hit wave 4 you can see the enemy saucers). Each wave plays a different tune during gameplay. We thought that was cool although some tunes were better than others and all of them could probably get annoying over time. Luckily you can turn the music on or off during the game. As a shooter, it was pretty good with lots of different enemies, often with their own characteristics. Recommended

4. Space Pacman - A weird game that really isn't Pacman but uses his character to fight ghosts that came from a space invaders mothership. Avoid the ghosts, eat and eventually turn the tables and eat them. They combine to create a giant ghost monster. This game reminds me a bit of a cross between Shark! Shark! and Kool-Aid Man (2600 version). It's fun but I'm not sure it would hold my interest for an extended period of time. If you're looking for something a little different and love the Pacman characters then I'd recommend it. Overall Neutral.

5. Spiders & Flies - Probably one of their first games given the larger blockier graphics. You control a fly and you spit (vomit) at the baby spiders who attack in waves. Eventually the mother spider drops far enough that you can attack her. Finish her off and get a new wave with a more difficult attack pattern. I think you'd get something like this if you asked Apollo to create a new version of Crackpots. If you're like me and buy nearly everything then you'll buy it anyhow. Otherwise, I'd pass.

6. Pac Zuma Trilogy - I'm not even sure why it's called a trilogy since there are four games. Doesn't matter, you'll be bored with all of them. The first three are the 2600 version of Pacman with tweaks. What's more annoying than 2600 Pacman? Playing it with an invisible maze! The fourth game is different. It's more like a boring Disc of Tron with a Pac-man theme. Not recommended.

Have you played any of these games? What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

I bought Asteroids Attack and Space Pac-Man, and I love both of them. 

While it's not easy to beat, Asteroids Attack is very newbie-friendly since you start out with all of those lives, so it makes it a lot easier to get the hang of the game without getting too frustrated. I love how each ship (life) has a different color, and each level has its own level tune. All In all, it's a lot of fun, and definitely has its own niche in terms of space shooters.

Space Pac-Man I love because they took a bizarre concept (Pac-Man in space with no maze), yet still managed to make it feel somewhat Pac-Manish and still fun. I do have a fondness for unusual game mash-ups, those, so that may be part of my fondness. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Karl G said:

I bought Asteroids Attack and Space Pac-Man, and I love both of them. 

While it's not easy to beat, Asteroids Attack is very newbie-friendly since you start out with all of those lives, so it makes it a lot easier to get the hang of the game without getting too frustrated. I love how each ship (life) has a different color, and each level has its own level tune. All In all, it's a lot of fun, and definitely has its own niche in terms of space shooters.

Space Pac-Man I love because they took a bizarre concept (Pac-Man in space with no maze), yet still managed to make it feel somewhat Pac-Manish and still fun. I do have a fondness for unusual game mash-ups, those, so that may be part of my fondness. 

Good write-up. I like the bizarreness of the Space Pacman concept also. I do think it would get a bit repetitive though so I gave it a neutral unless you're really into Pacman (or bizarre games). 

Anyone else?