IGNORED

Space Rescue TI Basic game

TI_Ken

Hi all,

I've recently started programming games on the TI-99/4a again having cut my teeth on it and the Timex/Sinclair computer in the 80s. Attached is the wav file of my first game since restarting. It is a rescue type game where you maneuver your space pod around asteroids to pick up astronauts. Return the astronauts to the mother ship.

I'm using the JS99er website so I'm not sure how the wave files work from it with other emulators or such. I've also attached the text file of the program.

SR.txt

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

This is a great game a good challenge.  I like how the ship's character changes to show it's occupied.  I'll feature a video of it soon on my Retrospect's Game Corner and youtube.  Very nice

Thanks!

There are a couple of errors that I have to correct, but I should have that done in a day or two.

Ken

• Like 3

@TI_Ken Great work! I love the sounds and visuals. The gameplay is a little tricky to get to grips with, especially choosing which direction to send the player. I end up crashing almost every time, though that has the dubious benefit of clearing the offending asteroid. If only I had unlimited astronauts.

9 hours ago, dasch said:

@TI_Ken Great work! I love the sounds and visuals. The gameplay is a little tricky to get to grips with, especially choosing which direction to send the player. I end up crashing almost every time, though that has the dubious benefit of clearing the offending asteroid. If only I had unlimited astronauts.

dasch,

The good news is that for every 15 astronauts you save you earn a new rescue pod.

For the controls, I think you just have to play it a few times to get the hang of it. 

Also because of the angular player movement the rescue pod is unable to hit some of the asteroids. However, the play field is set up for the player to be able to get every astronaut and fuel tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bandit said:

Was getting error on run, 2080 invalid , left my EB cart in. working now. looks great also !

running on real ti.

I don't know why that line number would be invalid:

2080 CALL CHAR(122,"10C0EE2E0772F8F0")

Maybe the JS99er recording? But I reloaded the program and it works.

The way I am programming is writing the program in a text editor (on a Chromebook). Then I copy it and paste in the JS99er website. Programming goes a lot quicker with modern text editing capabilities.

Ken

• Like 1

@TI_Ken thanks for making the game available! I haven't been doing anything with my TI for the past 4 months or so, but this TIBASIC game made me want to see if my StrangeCart can run it. And it could not, I had not implemented the RANDOMIZE keyword - this turned out to be the first game or other program I have tested to use it. So needed to add that. I had to refresh my memory about where I was with the code, I have been doing refactoring of my Basic interpreter. There appears to also be a graphics bug with my basic, the black background did not initialise properly. After looking into the code, I see that the background character 112 is initialised like this:   2010 CALL  CHAR (112,"0")

I guess when the hex string is just one nibble, I have an off by one error in defaulting the character init to zero. Well, these are just my StrangeCart Basic bugs, after fixing the Randomise thing the game runs so fast that it's totally unplayable, so need to insert some CALL VSYNC calls into the code.

At any rate, great to see an interesting new Basic game! Great job!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bandit said:

Like I said, left my extended basic cart in works fine without getting old..

2080 CALL CHAR(144,"3C7E9999FF9999A5") mine is different ??

I uploaded a new text file and wav file this morning. I think the difference in the line 2080 is between the version I uploaded to day and older version from the original attachments. I tried to remove the earlier attachment but couldn't.

Space Rescue.txt and Space Rescue.wav are the final versions. 

Thanks for playing it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Hi @TI_Ken I just tried the latest version, and found that after I ran out of fuel whilst carrying an astronaut, obviously the rescue pod was back in the mothership but there was no new astronaut on the screen.  

Retrospect,

Not sure how that slipped by. I'll get it fixed. The rescue pod is supposed to self destruct and kick the astronaut out.

BTW how do you get the username to show up in the blue oval?

edited: I found the error. I write my programs in a text file then copy and paste them into the JS99er website. On my last revision I renumbered everything manually and forgot to renumber the GOSUB line number for the fuel going to zero. 

I also found an error where if you had an astronaut and docked with the mothership and also ran out of fuel at the same time and GOSUB error will result. I corrected that too.

I tried every permutation of the docking sequence and believe I have eliminated all possible errors. 

I'll reload and save the program tomorrow morning and upload it again. Hopefully that will be the final revision.

Edited by TI_Ken
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, TI_Ken said:

Retrospect,

Not sure how that slipped by. I'll get it fixed. The rescue pod is supposed to self destruct and kick the astronaut out.

BTW how do you get the username to show up in the blue oval?

edited: I found the error. I write my programs in a text file then copy and paste them into the JS99er website. On my last revision I renumbered everything manually and forgot to renumber the GOSUB line number for the fuel going to zero. 

I also found an error where if you had an astronaut and docked with the mothership and also ran out of fuel at the same time and GOSUB error will result. I corrected that too.

I tried every permutation of the docking sequence and believe I have eliminated all possible errors. 

I'll reload and save the program tomorrow morning and upload it again. Hopefully that will be the final revision.

Like this: Type a "@" and start typing a username. For instance, @TI_

There should be a menu of usernames matching what you've typed so far. select who you want and it should make it look like this: @TI_Ken

Screenshot_20231013_080629_Chrome.thumb.png.9978f075780d728d9757ca3d5a89d33d.png

I think even if the user you tagged in the @oval is not subscribed to that thread, they get a notification that they've been tagged in that thread.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Retrospectnice video, thank you for the kind review.

The controls do take a few practice games to get the hang of the operation.

Just a note, in order to conserve fuel, you should only press the directional keys when you need to change direction, otherwise you will use fuel for no reason. 

Edited by TI_Ken
  • Like 3