IGNORED

What type of controller do you most use for joystick games when you play on the VCS/2600?

LatchKeyKid

What type of controller do you use for joystick games?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What type of controller do you use most for joystick games?

• Classic CX10/40 style joystick
    • Later multibutton style joystick (whether flight sim style or Pro-Line)
    • Multibutton controller (like the Genesis)
    • Keyboard and/or mouse
    • Modern Xbox/Playstation style controller
    • Other (hand signs, smoke signals, the Force, harsh language, etc)... Please elaborate! :)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm curious what people actually use as a controller when playing 2600 joystick games whether official classic release or modern homebrew.   Obviously I'm not referring to games with gameplay that revolves around non-joystick controllers like those you see with paddle or even light gun games but rather those where the expectation is/was for a joystick.  This includes pretty much any method you use to play whether purely OG hardware, pure emulation, or more modern combo consoles that use a mix of both.

I've been thinking about gameplay mechanics and controller types recently and was wondering how accepted it is to use less common methods like the second controller in a single player game or even the console switches for gameplay effects.  I think I remember seeing a space game that used the console switches for map functions (and if correct I have no doubt someone will refresh my memory below with the actual name!).  Is having to play right by the console itself annoying?  Even as an adult on my xbox 360 back in the day, I frequently preferred to play on the floor just like I did when I was a kid with my NES when the cord length made anything else impossible.  In the current day, I either use the keyboard when I'm lazy or a modern controller when I'm not (both with Stella emulation) for trying out 2600 homebrew so mapping extra buttons/functions is super easy (barely an inconvienence!) but I was curious if that usage style is even close to the most common with the 2600 retro scene.  Would someone mapping additional functions to the console switches and/or the second controller be a deal breaker for those who play on original hardware?   What proportion of people here actually do that out of curiosity?  Thanks in advance for the replies and feel free obviously to elaborate below.

Edited by LatchKeyKid
  • Like 2

I use the Hyperkin Ranger. The paddle it has sufficed until I got a proper set of paddles. It has a more modern form factor, but my thumb doesn't get tired after a longer session like it does with a d-pad. Unfortunately, it feels pretty cheaply made. The stick clicks down for no discernible reason and it feels like there's a weird seam in the movement of the stick. It'll always center either ever so slightly right or left, and doesn't move smoothly between those halves. The little cable holder that keeps it coming out the top of the controller seems to be wearing away at one part of the cable, soon I'll prob need to tape it up so it doesn't become exposed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had Edladdin make me this:

CustomColecoController.thumb.jpg.efccbcea49e352ad35caabe8dd388b47.jpg

It works for ATARI 2600/7800, ColecoVision, and ColecoVision Flashback.  I usually put it on a stack of milk crates making it just the right height in front of my love seat.

It also functions as an adapter to allow the use of Atari, Coleco, Coleco Flashback, or SEGA Genesis controllers to control ATARI 2600/7800, ColecoVision, or Coleco Flashback.   It's pretty spiffy, right? ;)

Of course,  with that said,  I often mix it up and use other controllers too.  Hyperkin Green Sega Genesis controllers are pretty neato, an Arcade stick for PS2 (with adapter),  A regular NES pad converted for 2600 use, a different black, aftermarket NES pad converted for 7800 use, a Euro pad, a CX40, a Flashback joystick, and if I really want my hands to SUFFER, a ProLine or stock ColecoVision controller.

Only click here if you're serious about The BEST!

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 3

I use an Edladdin Twin Super 78 or a CX40 Gold from Best Electronics.  They are the 2 best controllers I've ever used for 2600 games.  I play exclusively in emulation on stella these days with Ataridaptors.  I got tired of modding consoles for that crisp RGB.  I am going to purchase one of the new Atari 2600 consoles, because I still have a tidy 2600 cartridge collection.

• Like 2

Classic-style CX40 type joysticks still get used sometimes but these days my aging hands struggle to deal with that for very long.  Strongly prefer the comfort of arcade-style controls that are ergonomically mounted (i.e., sturdy and at comfortable height). 

My setup here connects to multiple consoles (ranging from 2600 to PS3), hence the number of buttons. 

1021760365_fullsys.thumb.PNG.cb7785142ab775aedfb267d4a9e10071.png.1746e0dd82a21f2c83e5bba4b193d8dd.png

• Like 4

The classic CX style one button Atari joystick seems to easily be the most popular choice.  For those who selected that one, would you find it overly annoying if a homebrew game mandated the use of other button presses whether via console switches, "b" button hacks, or using the second controller occasionally?

On 10/10/2023 at 8:52 PM, GoldLeader said:

I had Edladdin make me this:

CustomColecoController.thumb.jpg.efccbcea49e352ad35caabe8dd388b47.jpg

This may seem like a silly question but, with all those buttons, does that plug into one or both of the 2600 joystick ports?  I was curious if in two player alternating games if a second person just uses the same stick but the buttons on the other side if you're doing couch two player.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 11:46 PM, GeekDragon said:

I use the Colleco Gemini controller alot.  My family had(I have it now) the Gemini system back in the early/mid 80's, so that was the controller I grew up with.  I almost prefer this system to the VCS, even though I have a Jr. hooked up now.

With that controller, does the paddle function as a second button in games that support it?   IIRC the second button functionality hijacks one of the paddle pins and I was curious if that works.

4 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

This may seem like a silly question but, with all those buttons, does that plug into one or both of the 2600 joystick ports?  I was curious if in two player alternating games if a second person just uses the same stick but the buttons on the other side if you're doing couch two player.

It's just one port,  one player.  It has 3 possible outputs that I just plug an extension cable into.  Most often I have it set to Atari or ColecoVision (Phoenix),  but it also has Coleco FB (ColecoVision Flashback) which has a different pin-out.  I haven't even tried it out for Coleco Flashback yet :)

I rarely ever play 2 player...

Oh,  thought of another controller I like!  Slik Stiks!

Slik Stik Suncom Joy Sticks Pair of 2 Controllers AS IS - Etsy

PS:  For 2 Player,  I just use Hyperkin Genesis gamepads.  That way both players have the same controls,  and you can buy a couple for $30 or so...

• Like 2

Depends on which console I use. I'm a purist (and probably borderline obsessive-compulsive) so I like to use the original controllers that "match" the console. Heavies = CX10 or ringed CX40, Woodies = ringed CX40, Vader and Junior = All-black CX40, Gemini = Gemini Controller, Video Arcade II = Video Arcade II controller, Columbia Home Arcade = Columbia Controller, 7800 = ProLine. I voted for CX10/40, though, since I usually play on an Atari VCS/2600 or Sears Video Arcade console.

I collect peripherals and third-party controllers, so I like to mix it up with those once in a while. Even if some of the more bizarre designs aren't particularly conducive to gameplay (looking at you, Faster Blaster and LeStick)!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

Depends on which console I use. I'm a purist (and probably borderline obsessive-compulsive) so I like to use the original controllers that "match" the console. Heavies = CX10 or ringed CX40, Woodies = ringed CX40, Vader and Junior = All-black CX40, Gemini = Gemini Controller, Video Arcade II = Video Arcade II controller, Columbia Home Arcade = Columbia Controller, 7800 = ProLine. I voted for CX10/40, though, since I usually play on an Atari VCS/2600 or Sears Video Arcade console.

I collect peripherals and third-party controllers, so I like to mix it up with those once in a while. Even if some of the more bizarre designs aren't particularly conducive to gameplay (looking at you, Faster Blaster and LeStick)!

Well,  There is a certain Nostalgia associated with doing it the old way...

1 minute ago, Bomberman94 said:

I am often too lazy to connect this joystick. But this one is the best I've ever had: custom made with original arcade elements and grippy wood on the sides.

IMG_0158.jpeg

That controller is really Badass!  Plus it looks like a best of both worlds approach.  It looks like it'd work either as a hand held or tabletop.

• Like 2

I'll say again though for the Edladdin/Arcade stick approach,...

If you use the old stuff;  Let's say specifically here Stock ColecoVision controllers, WICOs, and Painline errr Pro Line 7800 sticks...The Fatigue factor is off the charts!  And it seems to get worse as you get older...I'd play for hours on my ColecoVision back in the day,  although back then I think I had Carpal Tunnel anyway due to rolling newspapers every day for my paper route, and maybe my Tae Kwon Do classes, etc.  But I don't remember my hands/wrists hurting due to controllers.  However,  when I got my CollectorVision Phoenix;  For a short bit I tried a Brand New bone stock Coleco controller and was surprised at how much I just had to manhandle the controller to make it work.  Now for short bursts,  say you're gonna play a quick game for 10 minutes before bed or something;  You might not notice....

On the other hand,  you can play All Night on an Edladdin or any arcade controller with Sanwa sticks, iLs, Happ parts etc. (Something with MicroSwitches)...And the whole experience is just smooth as butter.  You will be worrying about the game and your hand will not get tired at all...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I'll say again though for the Edladdin/Arcade stick approach,...

If you use the old stuff;  Let's say specifically here Stock ColecoVision controllers, WICOs, and Painline errr Pro Line 7800 sticks...The Fatigue factor is off the charts!  And it seems to get worse as you get older...I'd play for hours on my ColecoVision back in the day,  although back then I think I had Carpal Tunnel anyway due to rolling newspapers every day for my paper route, and maybe my Tae Kwon Do classes, etc.  But I don't remember my hands/wrists hurting due to controllers.  However,  when I got my CollectorVision Phoenix;  For a short bit I tried a Brand New bone stock Coleco controller and was surprised at how much I just had to manhandle the controller to make it work.  Now for short bursts,  say you're gonna play a quick game for 10 minutes before bed or something;  You might not notice....

On the other hand,  you can play All Night on an Edladdin or any arcade controller with Sanwa sticks, iLs, Happ parts etc. (Something with MicroSwitches)...And the whole experience is just smooth as butter.  You will be worrying about the game and your hand will not get tired at all...

100%

I really do love the OG Atari VCS/2600 joysticks but, IMO, one of the inherent "flaws" of hand-held joysticks - from a comfort perspective, at least - is you're constantly playing your hands against each other.  Push the joystick in one direction and your other hand has to offset that force to keep the controller planted in your hands and usable.  This is fatiguing and just not very comfortable for extended play sessions.  

Later d-pad controllers made big improvements in this area.  By removing the joystick you remove the "lever" and therefore vastly reduce the amount of effort needed to hold the controller in your hands.  Modern "dual shock" style controllers improve ergonomics even more and, as far as I'm concerned, are pretty much the pinnacle of comfort for hand-held controllers.  The problem - for me, at least - is I don't like d-pads or analog nubs for the types of games I enjoy (basically, arcade-style score attack stuff) because I find them sloppy and imprecise.

That's why, for me, a control panel with arcade controls is the optimal solution.  I get the precision of a quality joystick for the types of twitchy action games I dig the most, while not having to use my other hand to hold the controller steady because it's mounted firmly in front of me and not sliding around. 

Edit to add: I know the photo I posted earlier shows a barstool in front of the control pedestal but that's only there for guests, I never sit down when I'm playing.  Stand-up gaming FTW.  I sit enough for my job so it's nice to be on my feet.  

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 2

It Depends.

I generally use my 7800 two button modded, well worn CX40, But I have a homebuilt Asteroids controller and in the process of building a two-cable multi-controller that has all the buttons for Stargate, Asteroids, a full joystick, and pinball buttons on the side like the Video Pinball console.

IMG_6308.thumb.jpeg.2c5caf6105c60e0519e0f5bc40b25e90.jpeggallery_3653_1328_592118.pngScreenShot2023-07-23at8_14_08AM.thumb.png.eb6625cf3299386fb66ff11da674c2d1.png

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Ramses said:

I got the 7800 ProSystem joystick back in 2016 and I still use it today for 2600 games. I also have an Edladdin twin stick controller, but I generally only use it for 7800 Robotron and a few other games that use two controllers.

J7800_1920_1080.jpg

I use a custom built controller and it looks a lot like this.

• Like 1

I have to say I'm surprised more folks don't use xbox/playstation style controllers with emulation (whether laptop based or emulation console).   Do folks posting here that you use the deluxe multibutton arcade style controllers (whether custom built or bought) use xbox/playstation style controllers for other non-retro gaming like on PC or modern consoles?

5 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

I have to say I'm surprised more folks don't use xbox/playstation style controllers with emulation (whether laptop based or emulation console).   Do folks posting here that you use the deluxe multibutton arcade style controllers (whether custom built or bought) use xbox/playstation style controllers for other non-retro gaming like on PC or modern consoles?

I'm in my 50's. Gamepads just never felt right in my hands. I even have a CX40 modded for my NES.

• Like 3

I utilize the Flashback CX40 joysticks for almost all of my gaming on not just the 2600 but all 4 of my Atari systems. They have more throw (meaning more "play" in them) than the OG CX40 sticks plus the fact that they have removable sticks in which screw on and screw off for better storage, they make it my #1 choice. For the 5200 I use my 2600 Edition of Redemption with it and the CX52 or Retro Game Boyz or Wico Command Control 5200 keypad, the latter two have touch-tone telephone-quality keypads while my CX52 has Best-modded gold flex circuitry. Now all I need is an adapter that'll allow me to use 2600 sticks with my 7800 so I don't have to use either the CX24 ProLine stick or CX78 Europad instead while playing certain 7800 titles.