IGNORED

Which do you play more? Original Releases or Recent Releases?

cvga

Which do you play more? Original Releases or Recent Releases?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. I mostly play...

• Original Releases
    • Recent Releases (defined as pretty much anything that was released after Acid Drop in 1992)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

As a (usually) 5200 guy when it comes to 2600 titles that depends on the particular title, for instance I sometimes fire up 2600-exclusive titles like Phoenix, Yars’ Revenge or even one of the “black” background hacks of games like Kangaroo or Ms. Pac-Man or Vanguard (PM me for those ROMs if you want them) or even the original 1981 version of Asteroids and sometimes I’ll fire up @DINTAR816’s brilliant final version of Pac-Man Arcade or @splendidnut’s Chaotic Grill, @Silvio Mogno’s great ruby*Q or @RaymanC’s Lucky Chase.

And lest we not forget those ARM-based titles from @johnnywc John Champeau and Champ Games like Gorf Arcade, Galagon, and Scramble too, to name just 3 of them.

Indeed as much as the quality of 2600 releases has drastically improved over the past 5 decades sometimes the classics from the 70s and 80s will always have a place in my lineup on my Harmony Encore lists.

• Like 1

Original.

A big reason I got into classic gaming in the first place (as it was in the '90s) was to see what gaming was like "before my time," and what the systems were like in their time and place has always been what's interested me about them. Homebrews don't really fit into that. I do have a few, though, and there are some coming up that I'll have to grab at some point as well. 😁 

• Like 1

I play a mixture of both, I play the old stuff for nostalgia but the new stuff because I love to play stuff that's current. I love the new stuff because I feel like our input etc helps shape the outcome in development, and we have tools available that can make games that they only dreamed of creating back then