IGNORED

Playing my favorite game on a (new to me) 1040STF: Next need HDD!

There are several options. Personally, I'd go with an Ultrasatan from Lotharek.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=48

It's solid, performs great, gives 2 SD card slots so that when formatted correctly

you can copy files easily between your ST, Win box, or Linux computer. It also

works with most all HD software, including the defacto standard, HDDriver.

It also offers a real time clock for your ST.

HTH's.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

There are several options. Personally, I'd go with an Ultrasatan from Lotharek.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=48

It's solid, performs great, gives 2 SD card slots so that when formatted correctly

you can copy files easily between your ST, Win box, or Linux computer. It also

works with most all HD software, including the defacto standard, HDDriver.

It also offers a real time clock for your ST.

HTH's.  :)

I’ll give the Ultrasatan a try. I like the idea of a real time clock too!

4 hours ago, CommodoreDecker said:

I recall reading that SD4ST requires 1.04 ROMs or higher, is UltraSatan the same?  (my SD4ST arrived but am waiting to finish up the PSU swap or recap before hooking it up)

Having TOS 1.04 or higher with any mass storage is just a smart idea.

• Like 2

Totally agree with TOS v1.4. Offers a ton of new features and much improved performance for mass storage devices.

Oh, backing up a bit, just wanted to explain something. I stated above that HDDriver is the "de facto" standard for

HD software for the ST line. That was an assumption. I just assumed that it is in use more than the now defunct

Atari AHDI and older ICD HD Utilities. I know P.Pera's hard drive software is still offered and supported as well. I

wasn't implying that any of the choices were *better* than the others. I've seen a lot of posts that seem to indicate

there's particular situations for individuals that one seems to work better than another. Just clarifying a bit...  :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Totally agree with TOS v1.4. Offers a ton of new features and much improved performance for mass storage devices.

Oh, backing up a bit, just wanted to explain something. I stated above that HDDriver is the "de facto" standard for

HD software for the ST line. That was an assumption. I just assumed that it is in use more than the now defunct

Atari AHDI and older ICD HD Utilities. I know P.Pera's hard drive software is still offered and supported as well. I

wasn't implying that any of the choices were *better* than the others. I've seen a lot of posts that seem to indicate

there's particular situations for individuals that one seems to work better than another. Just clarifying a bit...  :)

So I will say it instead.  HDDriver is great.  It's a far more professional package, with great support.  The author won't call you "stoopid" for asking questions.  Uwe is a great asset to the community.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Jfcatari said:

HDDriver is great as well.  

Though the good old ICD is fine too, but you don't have all of the partition compatibility that HDDriver has.

And just to add... a really great manual (it now comes with the PDF, or you can buy a printed one) helps with many of the questions you might have over some of the options.

There is also a mobile app that will help you keep track of updates and news!

• Like 1