IGNORED

Serial number list?

Snogpitch

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if the Amazon shipped units maybe had a certain serial number range compared to the ones shipped from Atari. My Amazon order is 30-thousand-something, my newly-arrived Atari order is in the 27-thousand range. 

My serial number in the 32,000 range I ordered in early November, before  shipping started.

28 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if the Amazon shipped units maybe had a certain serial number range compared to the ones shipped from Atari. My Amazon order is 30-thousand-something, my newly-arrived Atari order is in the 27-thousand range. 

There must have been batches sent to Amazon in different countries, and also to retailers in different countries. The serial numbers are probably not going to tell you too much, other than maybe give some indication of how many have been made, although even that will depend on what number they started at (and whether the numbers are even consecutive).

My serial number (already posted above) is 39766, but that was from a retailer in New Zealand, sent via the Australian distributor. I'm guessing that it was a relatively small batch sent here.

15 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

There must have been batches sent to Amazon in different countries, and also to retailers in different countries. The serial numbers are probably not going to tell you too much, other than maybe give some indication of how many have been made, although even that will depend on what number they started at (and whether the numbers are even consecutive).

My serial number (already posted above) is 39766, but that was from a retailer in New Zealand, sent via the Australian distributor. I'm guessing that it was a relatively small batch sent here.

I think my main question and I get it's speculation is whether maybe Atari saved the first, say, 30K for themselves then shipped 30k-50k or whatever to Amazon.

4 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I think my main question and I get it's speculation is whether maybe Atari saved the first, say, 30K for themselves then shipped 30k-50k or whatever to Amazon.

People would need to post where they purchased from (and specify their country) alongside their serial number, and then maybe it would be possible to work that out to some extent. However, Amazon have many distribution centres in many different countries, so unfortunately it's probably not so straightforward.

My 2600 wasn't purchased from Atari or Amazon. There are some countries that don't have either of those options, but where there are local retailers stocking it. It's still available for immediate purchase off the shelf in the retailer in my local town.

• Like 1