IGNORED

UAV S-video Color/Saturation Adjustment(s)

Lamprey

Hi,

I've been messing around with some different video mods for the 2600: CleanComp and the UAV.

The Clean Comp has really nice colors (and I think they are adjustable with a resistor placed on the TIA) but the s-video isn't great (good though). The UAV on the otherhand had super sharp s-video output but the colors are off. I've seen other mention of the color "issue" with UAV as it was designed to be used with Atari 8 bit computers. I.E. Pitfall tree trunks are almost black instead of brown.

The UVA I've installed in a light sixer so pin 6 on the TIA is lifed. So, it doesn't seem that chaging the resistors between pins 6 and 9 will have any affect on the color/saturation. So, I was wondering if there is a way make any sort of color adjustment that would have a similar affect on the UAV like changing the reistor value between TIA pin 6 and 9?

Another thought, I've installed the UAV on top of the 4050 so, would wiring it direectly to the TIA have the desired affect?

Thanks!

The 800ish Ω resistor for the color saturation on pins 6 and 9 has to be removed for UAV installs as the colors are all off kilter on their hues. To really answer your question...

The only way to correct for the colors 100% on the UAV would require changing some of the resistor values on the UAV itself. This is because the UAV uses its own set of resistor values to use the different signals. But doing this would then effect all other consoles it can be used with. So the compromise is what it is. To have the UAV present those colors more properly would require a different UAV board specific to the 2600 in this case. But the design of the UAV is pretty much set in stone and not likely to be changed until current stock of UAVs are sold out making way for such a new design.

Installing on top of the 4050 doesn't make any difference as you are still taking in the signals the same way, just from the 4050 directly vs the pins off the TIA directly. Although there have been some instances where the input voltage to the 4050 can be lower than it should be for the UAV to work, so one thing I do advise is to take +5 from somewhere else and run that directly to the UAV if you use the 4050 install method.

• Like 1

Thanks. I was hoping there might be something that could be done to the signal before the UAV, but that makes sense.

Don't suppose anyone knows which resistors on the UAV affect the color/saturation levels? :)

If it was just a couple resistors I'd be happy to try swapping some and seeing what the result is, but I've no clue onw which ones to touch.

Guess I can reach out TBA and see.