IGNORED

Uzebox - open source 8 bit console - kits now available!

danm

Yes, it arrived and yesterday I tried it.

My Uzebox worked the same way as with 644P. I mean - the same wrong way :)

So I checked everything again and it turned out that one pin of AD725 was not soldered correctly. It was very surprising, as it was the first part I soldered and I triple checked it before.

After I corrected AD725 my Uzebox works almost fine, I played a bit of Megatris, pads are working, the sound is ok, but the picture is black-and-white :) No matter if I use composite or S-Video output.

The friend who gave me the Uzebox's PCB suggests me to try different cristal, which I'll do (I hope soon). I also ordered a few AD725's, just in case.

12 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Yes, it arrived and yesterday I tried it.

My Uzebox worked the same way as with 644P. I mean - the same wrong way :)

So I checked everything again and it turned out that one pin of AD725 was not soldered correctly. It was very surprising, as it was the first part I soldered and I triple checked it before.

After I corrected AD725 my Uzebox works almost fine, I played a bit of Megatris, pads are working, the sound is ok, but the picture is black-and-white :) No matter if I use composite or S-Video output.

The friend who gave me the Uzebox's PCB suggests me to try different cristal, which I'll do (I hope soon). I also ordered a few AD725's, just in case.

It could be crystal. Did you not order the exact one listed on the Uzebox BOM?

If you DM me your address I'll send you a Uzebox Omega PCB. The Omega doesn't require a AD725 chip and removes the need for the composite video components.

20 minutes ago, danm said:

It could be crystal. Did you not order the exact one listed on the Uzebox BOM?

I've used the crystal with proper value (28.63636MHz) in "low profile" case.

The friend says that from his experience these crystals are unstable and he had better results with "high profile" crystal.

23 minutes ago, danm said:

If you DM me your address I'll send you a Uzebox Omega PCB. The Omega doesn't require a AD725 chip and removes the need for the composite video components.

Thanks! For sure I'll try it :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dalton said:

I've used the crystal with proper value (28.63636MHz) in "low profile" case.

The friend says that from his experience these crystals are unstable and he had better results with "high profile" crystal.

Thanks! For sure I'll try it :)

For the crystal you can use either the crystal on the official Uzebox BOM from Digikey or its equivalent from the Omega BOM from Farnell, both are known to work properly.

The Omega PCB has been posted.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Dalton has pretty much finished building his Uzebox Omega, he's just waiting on the AV cable to arrive now so that he can test it.

I have put my most recent Uzebox Omega build up for auction on ebay:

Included in this bid:

* A fully assembled and tested Uzebox Omega v1.1 console with 3D printed silk silver copper case.
* A Uzebox compatible Adafruit SNES / Uzebox controller.
* A "universal" power supply adapter.
* A 16 GB Uzebox compatible SD card (the Uzebox can only use the first 2 GB)
* An unshielded Mega Drive 2 SCART cable.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335365807709

Uzebox-Omega-and-accessories.jpg

Edited by danm

He's not quite finished building it yet but I was very happy to hear Dalton has got his Uzebox Omega working. He sent me this pic to prove it.

You don't know how much fun and how rewarding it is to build your own console from scratch until you've done it yourself.

Slawomirs-Omega.jpg

Edited by danm