IGNORED

Mario Bros.

Nintendo Penguin

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that the NES version of Mario Bros. has the 7800 version beat all across the board and by a healthy margin. It looks better, sounds better and plays better. Mario's jumps aren't as fluid as they should be and it kind of throws the game play off in the 7800 version. The 5200 version did a better job with game play than the 7800 version.

Game play is excellent on the NES, very similar to the arcade. Graphics are also quite close to the arcade. Sounds...well, sounds have never been the NES's strong point but they are well enough done in this game. The arcade will always beat the old consoles in terms of sound and not just by a little bit either.

Here are some screen shots:

mario.jpg

Speaking of Mario Bros for the 7800, has anyone else notice that there is a small bug in the game. When you play 2 players, there is no sound effect when the "bugs" come out of the top pipes. Just something I noticed one day when I was messing around with the game.

I sort of prefer the 7800 version. Mario looks more like his usual "I must sign up for Jenny Craig" self than he does in the 5200 version.

Been so long since I played the 8bit version I'll have to dig it out and see if I have the XL or XE version. Didn't know there was a difference until I read it here.

Mendon

Been so long since I played the 8bit version I'll have to dig it out and see if I have the XL or XE version. Didn't know there was a difference until I read it here.

Big difference. It's actually a completely different game not an update (I realized that last night). It's very very good, however I find that Mario runs a bit slower than he should.

Tempest

I agree about the XE Mario. A great version. I only noticed a little slowdown in the higher levels when the screen gets really crowded. An unknown gem possibly because of the late release date.

I recall having a copy of Mario Bros. on disk in the mid 80's (1984 ???) for my XL. Would this have likely been the same game that was released on cart for the XE or was the game updated for the later release? I do remember the music being pretty atrocious.

No, that was the 16k version. New XEGS version by Sculptured Software. Can't remember whether its a 48 or 64K game.

Damn! Now I really DO want to find one!

BTW - you wouldn't have a file of it that I could try out on an emulator do you? :roll:

I agree about the XE Mario. A great version. I only noticed a little slowdown in the higher levels when the screen gets really crowded. An unknown gem possibly because of the late release date.

I recall having a copy of Mario Bros. on disk in the mid 80's (1984 ???) for my XL. Would this have likely been the same game that was released on cart for the XE or was the game updated for the later release? I do remember the music being pretty atrocious.

The sound was fine on original 400's/800's, but you needed to run the translator for it to sound right on the XL/XE series.

The sound was fine on original 400's/800's, but you needed to run the translator for it to sound right on the XL/XE series.

Ah ha! Never thought of that since the thing (seamingly) loaded correctly! :dunce: I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I found the XE version here: http://www.atari8bit-software.de/index_e.htm. Looks great on Atari800WinPlus. Have been trying to get a cartridge off ebay at a decent price for a long while just to see what it looked like.

The older Mario Brothers I have mostly seen around is a 5200 conversion and it doesn't reset Pokey completely after the disk io (same for Gremlins, and Moon Patrol I have seen). I don't know the the 400/800 OS does something different on a load, or if the translator does? I have version around somewhere I had fixed.

I found the XE version here: http://www.atari8bit-software.de/index_e.htm.  Looks great on Atari800WinPlus.  Have been trying to get a cartridge off ebay at a decent price for a long while just to see what it looked like.  

The older Mario Brothers I have mostly seen around is a 5200 conversion and it doesn't reset Pokey completely after the disk io (same for Gremlins, and Moon Patrol I have seen).  I don't know the the 400/800 OS does something different on a load, or if the translator does?  I have version around somewhere I had fixed.

If you can find those, that'd be great. Three less games that I'd have to worry loading the translator disk. And three great ones at that...

Didn't the 5200 version of berzerk (the talking berzerk) have the same problem? I forget..