IGNORED

5200 Adventure II Chronicles and DLC

Cafeman

I've been organizing homebrewing folders and found some interesting old ROM's for 5200 Adventure II as it was being developed in the early 2000's.   I will use this thread to attach any runnable 5200 ROMs to this first post, in case anybody would like to try them out.   All ROM's at the end of Post #1.     The expo pictures are from AtariAge.com's Features on said events. 

2002 - the first runnable Adventure II Demo - AdvII_Demo_03-2002 -- this demo basically uses the new screen-loading engine that was built by Alan D. This shows 2 nice screens by Raccoon Lad that were later modified or removed, and a couple ugly early attempts at maze screens.  

ADV2_2002_Early_Screens.png.f4cdf1506a8b1eb17aab144985465baf.png

09/2003 - a demo for the Oklahoma Video Game Expo OKGE - AdvII_Demo_OKGE_2003.   

OKGE2003AdvII.thumb.jpg.3be503f98b56344c36fd1b7c1c8e3f7b.jpg

Some notes:

• There is no title screen, but you can let the game alone a moment and it will cycle through various screens. Press button/START to begin gameplay. There are a few early sounds. 
  • You only get 1 life but you *CAN*  win the game. It gives you a new multi-screen slide-show as a reward.  Try to win a round! 
  • You can't use Fire Button 2 yet, thus you can't switch around the sword or bridge in this demo.  But you can use the Vertical bridge in creative ways to reach stuff like a sword behind logs. 
  • There is no magnet.    To get to the Gold Key on the Island, you must cut wood planks from logs with the sword, and drag them to the screen. 
  • Troll lives on his Troll Bridge screen , he does not roam around, and he is too fast to escape from. You must appease Troll with an unwanted item before returning to the prior screen and trying to carry a desired item (like the Green Key) across the Troll Bridge. Early on I had the idea of finding Gold to appease a Troll on his bridge, incidentally.  Troll hides items in the Green Hedge kingdom or castle if he steals them. 
  • This demo features early versions of Kingdom 1 and Kingdom 2 mazes.  Raccoon Lad later built a much more complex Kingdom 2 hedge maze for the game.  This demo's hedge maze was built by me, using Raccoon's KEY screen and character set as a base.   

5200 Adventure II Game Demo ROMs: 

AdvII_Demo_03-2002.bin

AdvII_Demo_OKGE_2003.bin

AdvII_Demo_PC5_2004.bin

AdvII_Demo_OVGE_2005.bin

5200 Adventure II Final Version Demo's.  Note that you can enter "1980" on the Title Screen to unlock Alternate Icons , and "1982" for "Fat Creatures" mode. 

adv2-alt-icons.png.1f4485fda1d13a0d271abd4061b3216c.png

2007 Demo - Easy and Intermediate levels from the final ROM: 

adv2a.bin

2007 Demo - Advanced and Special levels from the final ROM: 

adv2b.bin

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2004 - a demo for the Philly Classic 5 in 2004 - AdvII_Demo_PC5_2004.bin. 

PhillyClassic5AdvIIkioskAA.thumb.jpg.eae3f943f01c89f1eee006bec8acf591.jpg

Some notes: 

• This is a year later from the prior OKGE demo.   There is now a Title Screen and 2 selectable variations. You can beat both.  The Dragon will kill you but not swallow you, but press #5 key to revive when she kills you.     
  • This demo is too hard and often unfair!  Troll is too active, and you can't use Fire Button 2's Item shifting yet, But you can beat it with a little extra patience,  and you'll be rewarded with some new screen images when you win.   You need to use all the tools available to you, such as stuffing unwanted items onto Troll to get a Speed powerup.  
  • The Troll is now roaming around all screens,  but he is too active.  He doesn't actively aim for an item yet, he just blindly runs across the screen and may stumble upon items. 
  • The Kingdom1 and Kingdom2 mazes have been revised by Raccoon Lad since last year's demo.  Still, the Hedge and Dark Kingdom mazes are  not the same as the final version, with more cramped maze paths and some identical screens used in different places.   The Ice Kingdom has the blindingly bright white color scheme which was softened with DLI-blues later on. 

AdvII_Demo_PC5_2004.bin

• Like 1

06/2005 - a demo for the Oklahoma Video Game Expo OVGE 2005 named Adv2_Demo_OVGE_2005.bin. 

Some Notes: 

• All 3 Dragons exist now, but I noticed you cannot pass a Dragon Corpse yet. Revive yourself with #5 if you kill a Dragon and block the path you need to progress. 
  • Troll has been tweaked, he will now no longer steal the Bridge if it is just sitting there un-held by you.  This makes the gameplay a lot more fair.  
  • Minotaur now exists. 
  • Sir Square still cannot walk over the green hedge maze "grass", making paths more narrow than the final game. 
  • Even in this 2005 demo, only the water waves animation is active.    The plants, fountains, and Fire Castle fire do not animate yet. 
  • It appears the Ice Castle is not locked. Get the Red Key inside it. All of the Ice Castle's interior screens are a blue color - harder to navigate than later versions which introduced various distinct colors to each room.  The rampart screens don't exist yet in the Green Castle paths leading to Kingdom4 or Kingdom3. 

AdvII_Demo_OVGE_2005.bin

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

I've been organizing homebrewing folders and found some interesting old ROM's for 5200 Adventure II as it was being developed in the early 2000's.   I will use this thread to attach any runnable 5200 ROMs to this first post, in case anybody would like to try them out.   

2002 - the first runnable Adventure II Demo - AdvII_Demo_03-2002 -- this demo basically uses the new screen-loading engine that was built by Dan Boris. This shows 2 nice screens by Raccoon Lad that were later modified or removed, and a couple ugly early attempts at maze screens.  

ADV2_2002_Early_Screens.png.f4cdf1506a8b1eb17aab144985465baf.png

AdvII_Demo_03-2002.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

09/2003 - a demo for the Oklahoma Video Game Expo OKGE - AdvII_Demo_OKGE_2003.   

OKGE2003AdvII.thumb.jpg.3be503f98b56344c36fd1b7c1c8e3f7b.jpg

Some notes:

• There is no title screen, but you can let the game alone a moment and it will cycle through various screens. Press button/START to begin gameplay. There are a few early sounds. 
  • You only get 1 life but you *CAN*  win the game. It gives you a new multi-screen slide-show as a reward.  Try to win a round! 
  • You can't use Fire Button 2 yet, thus you can't switch around the sword or bridge in this demo.  But you can use the Vertical bridge in creative ways to reach stuff like a sword behind logs. 
  • There is no magnet.    To get to the Gold Key on the Island, you must cut wood planks from logs with the sword, and drag them to the screen. 
  • Troll lives on his Troll Bridge screen , he does not roam around, and he is too fast to escape from. You must appease Troll with an unwanted item before returning to the prior screen and trying to carry a desired item (like the Green Key) across the Troll Bridge. Early on I had the idea of finding Gold to appease a Troll on his bridge, incidentally.  Troll hides items in the Green Hedge kingdom or castle if he steals them. 
  • This demo features early versions of Kingdom 1 and Kingdom 2 mazes.  Raccoon Lad later built a much more complex Kingdom 2 hedge maze for the game.  This demo's hedge maze was built by me, using Raccoon's KEY screen and character set as a base.   

AdvII_Demo_OKGE_2003.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

I remember all of that quite well! It was the first OKGE and was held in a very tiny space at the local Hilton here. The second year was a much larger and much nice space that we used for a number of years until it was moved again to a new venue where it was hosted for most of its existence. That demo and the AA booth was right next to where I had some of my stuff on display and for play.

• Like 2