IGNORED

The Swimmer

alfredtdk

The Swimmer

This is an idea I had for a game some time ago. It would be something between the Olympic Games and survival.
This concept is presented and to get an idea of what the game will be like if my idea goes forward.
You would control a swimmer who needs to reach the finish line on the other side of the pool, this finish line would be represented by a flag. The longer it takes you to get to the flag, the less points you will earn.
The situation would be reversed in the new round, the finish line with the flag would be located to your left where the game started, so you would need to swim all over again and so on successively from left to right, right to left.
As you progress in the game, the pool will naturally increase in length, which will take even longer to reach the finish line,the playing field initially consisted of a single screen, later it would be screen by screen (Pitfall!) to accompany the increase in the length of the pool  .
To further hinder this sport, obstacles would arise in your path that would cost you lives or perhaps reduce your energy bar, you would end up losing your breath little by little, taking fewer and fewer strokes, with your bar at zero you would inevitably sink into the pool. End of the game.

P.S.

I think of this game as a middle ground between Decathlon and Frostbite.

Captura de tela em 2023-10-31 23-35-35.png

TheSwimmer.bas TheSwimmer.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 4

On 11/2/2023 at 7:50 AM, LatchKeyKid said:

Congrats on starting to make your first full game!   I know you were learning bB   What do the playfield blocks in the above signify for the swimmer?

Thanks. The blocks above that you refer to symbolize the future flag.
Everything is still in a raw state, there is not even water in the pool. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Thanks. The blocks above that you refer to symbolize the future flag.
Everything is still in a raw state, there is not even water in the pool. 

Ah, thanks.  I wasn't sure if they were forts or sand castles on either end of the water.   Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.  I haven't been brave enough to try bB yet myself.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:00 AM, guppy said:

I haven't tried playing it yet, but the screen shots make me think of a 2D side scrolling sequel to Adventure.  I see the Square Knight on the left tower, and the Bat flying at him... 

And an interesting idea. It may become a sequel to The Swimmer in the future. Point and click style.

Captura de tela em 2023-11-11 15-16-39.png

PointandClickthe Swimmer.bas.bin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Swimmer - Missile Test

It will not be a shooting game in the end, just testing the possibility if the swimmer had some equipment that could shoot at targets, like professional divers who may have spearfishing weapons for protection, such as a harpoon launcher.

There is still no elaborate story for this game, the objective is to reach the other side of the pool, with a flag that will mark your victory, if you are not prevented by aquatic creatures. It will be a continuous cycle, getting more difficult with each new round, in the style of classic Atari games, Sequest, Keystone Kapers, Megamania.
 The difficulty will gradually increase.

The pool now has water and the flag is now made up of a missile and a ball. To improve the look of the background scene I added houses from your neighborhood. I hope you are enjoying the changes.

Captura de tela em 2023-11-29 19-30-14.png

The Swimmer_Missile Test.bas.bin

Captura de tela em 2023-12-31 12-54-01.png

The Swimmer_Missile_Test PAL60.bas.bin

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...