IGNORED

Hooking up multiple game systems using a Radio Shack box

AtariDude

Hi everyone.

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but I need some advice on which Radio Shack part number I might need. Basically I have a PS2 hooked up to my TV through the cable ready connection of the PS2 RF box. Anytime that I want to hook up my Atari 7800, Sega Genesis, or my new Intellivision II system (got it today :) ), I have to unhook the part that hooks up to the coaxial connector of my TV and using a RCA to Coaxial adapter, I hook up the particular system that I plan to use.

What I would like to do is find out what Radio Shack part number I need that would hook up all those systems into the Radio Shack Box and allow me to choose which system is active by hitting a button (ex. button 1 is the PS2, button 2 is the 7800, button 3 is the Genesis, button 4 is the Intellivision 2).

Could anyone help me with this? I will order it online rather than going to an actual Radio Shack store since we all know how knowledgeable their sales people are. :P

Thanks for your help. 8)

I used this one-

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=15%2D1218

The buttons are real cheap and you have to press them a few times to make your selection. I'm glad I have composite video on everything now... well besides the Intellivision that is. I also had the A/B switch which worked a lot better, but then again you only have your choice of 2 sources to select from. I would suggest getting the A/B switch and a few adaptors. With the switch readily accessable you can just switch them out real quick.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=15%2D1217

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...&products_id=42

If you have S-video capability on the back of your TV, you can buy an S-video plug in for your Playstation and a TV/Game box for your other systems.

I kinda have a side question about this. My TV's audio is pretty cheap, so I connected the audio to those speakers insted of the TV. The TV has an S-Video on the back, and that would be a better quality picture, right? If so, is there anyway I can make the Audio (Red and White) come out of the TV and into the other speakers? I'll try and explain my setup a little bit better. The Video cord is plugged into the port on the TV, but I put the Audio ones on a big set of speakers, I have the extenders to make it reach the speakers. If I get one of the S-Video plugs, is there any way I can get the sound from the TV into the speakers, other then using a Reciver? I hope you get what im talking about =P

I use what I guess is an old version of the ABC switch from Radio Shack. More or less the same thing but boxier. The buttons don't feel cheap but you have to press them a bit hard since they're mechanical.

Thing is, especially for the 7800's weak video signal, I find it works better than the old A/B switch boxes. Of course I also have the RCA to Coax adapter for the old systems.

Also of course, to make matters worse, I have the 5200 auto-switch box plugged into one, basically to get two inputs on one button, and a Genesis switchbox on another. There are so many wires now I just avoid going behind the TV altogether.

Eric

i use a couple mid 90s era RS video selector boxes, they were made with VCR dubbing in mind but work perfectly for selecting between 5 RF/coaxial sources. you probably can get one for nothing on ebay, in fact heres one, they just rebranded it as archer, trust me, this is exactly what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=39803

i use a couple mid 90s era RS video selector boxes, they were made with VCR dubbing in mind but work perfectly for selecting between 5 RF/coaxial sources. you probably can get one for nothing on ebay, in fact heres one, they just rebranded it as archer, trust me, this is exactly what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3052205386&category=39803

Thanks for finding an example, Christian. I stayed off of this thread because I couldn’t find an example of what I use. This is very much it. I currently have 9 systems hooked up to my bedroom TV. A few are daisy chained through the RF box and the modern systems run through a newer Pelican system selector that runs into the TV’s direct imput.

Here's my hookups in my gameroom.

GC, DC, N64,- RCA connector Switch box 1

TG16, NES + 2 unused RCA connector Switch box 2 (out goes to port 4 on the Box 1) Goes to the TV's RCA in jacks.

2600, 5200, CV, C64 - F Connectors from AA all hooked to a 5 way splitter. Usually those spilitters are 1 in - 5 out but I just switched it. The one in is now my out to an A/B switch and the original outs are my in for the systems. This works great because they are all hooked up and the whichevr system I turn on is what appears on screen.

SMS, Genny (CD&32X), SNES, Jaguar, Pong - daisy chained RF boxes. The SNES and Genny are going to be on the RCA boxes when I get around to getting new AV cables for them. This is the other half of the A/B switch. This out goes to the TVs coaxial cable hook up.

Here's some pics

Bivotar got to see my pies-de-resistance not too long ago: a 13" TV with five consoles hooked up to it:

* Atari 5200

* ColecoVision

* Sega Dreamcast

* Super Famicom

* Turbo-Grafx 16

The best part is I left three of the consoles on a roll cart so I can push them to the side when I'm using the other two or they're not plugged in. ;)