IGNORED

Amigo Cornhole for the Intellivision

5-11under

Official thread for the Intellivision game: Amigo Cornhole

Amigo Cornhole was initially released at PRGE 2023. It's cornhole! Why play the real thing when you can play the videogame instead. This game was inspired by the halcyon days of the Amico Physical Releases. Knowing that Cornhole was going to be one of the included games for the Amico, I thought it would be fun to make the game for the Intellivision. The game also includes a bonus game: Snake. I didn't realize until later on that Snafoo was also to be an Amico game... I would have named the Snake game Snafoo if I knew about that.

Rev and I wrote the text on the back of the box:

image.thumb.png.9d293e88125bc11af38bc338f69b6197.png

Here's a picture of the complete package:

image.thumb.jpeg.37671c680f256f11d5bdfca59c12c089.jpeg

The box is CNC cut out of 0.050" chipboard, and hand scored and assembled in the style of a Parker Bros box, except slightly thicker. There's a cardboard insert that holds the game in place. The box is pretty hefty. Overlays are made using a thin lamination. The manual is a single sheet, folded. New shells are used.

There are several gameplay modes for one and two players. Either up to 21 points, or play 6 rounds. 1 point for landing on the board, and 3 if it goes in the hole. There's 3 difficulty levels, which only change the maximum wind speed. The snake game has 3 speeds.

The display shows the thrown bag in both side view and zoomed-in top view. When the bag is in motion, it will show in both views, but when it stops, it will either be shown on the board (if it stayed on the board or if it went in the hole), or it will be shown in the side view (if it didn't stay on the board or go in the hole). Depending on wind speed, adjust starting position and release speed (both using disc). Then press a button to release at the desired angle (timed press of button). Watch the bag fly, collect points if applicable, and continue for all bags in the round. I don't see it in any videos, but player one is blue, and player two is yellow.

These explain it fairly well:

The idea is that this would be the first in a series of releases. It'd be nice to have more than one in the series, with matching boxes and such. We'll see, though. It all depends on if I can find a game or two that works for me, and that would have been on the Amico.

The initial release of 36 copies sold out at PRGE. I'm currently making more, and when I've got them ready, I'll let you know how to buy one.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

Must the Intellivision be tainted by Amico games?

The good news is that the Intellivision is still the Intellivision. The brand may or may not be tainted (there's other threads for that discussion), but the original console is doing fine.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

To some part, the origin of this game reminds me of some of the more elaborate crap games on the Speccy, though perhaps the developer wouldn't agree that it belongs in the crap game category.

I'm not familiar with too many games for the Spectrum. For this game, Mike's Gaming Gala did a review (link on first post), which I think captures it quite well. I certainly hope it's not in the crap game category... it's meant to poke fun, but it's also meant to be fun. I wouldn't release it if I didn't think it was at least a fun little game or two (that of course doesn't mean that everyone will think it's fun to play).

Perhaps I'm not understanding you, though... you write about the "origin of the game" reminding you of some Spectrum games. I'm not familiar with these "elaborate crap games". The origin for this release, however, is: I looked for a key game from the Amico that I thought would be fun and that I could code on the Intellivision relatively easily (within my skill set). I already had the "Amigo" name in mind. Cornhole fit the bill, because I could picture how I would make it look and work, and physics is fun. It's not meant to be any sort of port of the Amico game - I just took the title and real-life game as inputs. The Snake game started as a demo that I made for a podcaster (the project fell through), with similar initial goal to poke some fun at the Amico (but in a totally different manner). Early on, the back of the box had the poking-fun bit, but the box was more classic, but with purple background. Rev suggested that the box should be blue, more like the Amico physical releases. I took that advice, melding the Amico physical release boxes with classic Intellivision boxes, keeping in mind what worked well for the box assembly method.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, tcmultimedia said:

Looks great, any update on availability? Don't wanna miss this one, I'm in!

I'll have more ready during or shortly after the weekend. I'll update here when they're ready. I have 8 on the shelf, but I'd like to have more ready at the same time (as well as the RTO).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, 5-11under said:

The good news is that the Intellivision is still the Intellivision. The brand may or may not be tainted (there's other threads for that discussion), but the original console is doing fine.

Exactly. I don't want any of that Amico nonsense infecting it. 😜

4 hours ago, 5-11under said:

I'm not familiar with these "elaborate crap games"

A quick write-up on what crap games are to me:

When looking at the original comp.sys.sinclair Crap Game Compo, the judging criteria tend to differ for each year and host. Some parameters to consider:

Graphics and sound (obviously)

Controls, gameplay and fun factor

Innovation, effort, attainment, demerits

Challenge bonus (for those who make special challenges within the compo)

Theme wise, in the CSSCGC almost anything goes. Of course it shouldn't be derogatory or hurtful, but other than that, usually the ceiling is quite high. Often games are based on a current event or news (there were a handful Covid-19 games which were thought to be borderline what you could make fun about), or a demake of an existing game, a game based on a movie or TV series (in which a bit of IP reuse is unavoidable). For instance if there was a crap game compo this past July, I'm sure the lion on the loose in Berlin would be a candidate for a game, though probably not Russia's invasion on Ukraine unless you can find an interesting, ideally humorous take on that.

Generally you should not spent a lot of time to develop a crap game, perhaps a few evenings. If you worked hard for more than a week, you may have missed your target or are onto a winner in terms of balancing everything perfectly.

Many of the better crap games have playability value, though probably nothing you return to week after week trying to break personal bests. The fact that a game of cornhole was part of the initial lineup for Amico games, and you did a decent but not overworked imagination of how it would be like on the Intellivision, both ticks the demake checkbox and the make innocent fun of a failure launch.

I've got a batch of these available at videogamepcbs.com .

I was hoping to have RTOs available at the same time, but I promised the first batch to PRGE attendees, most of whom already have Amigo Cornhole. So... if you want to save on shipping and get both at the same time, your best bet is to wait until I have more RTOs available, which will hopefully be in 7-10 days, if all goes well. If I run out of Cornhole games in the meantime, I'll prepare more of those, too, so both will be in stock. I'll keep you posted here.

• Like 2