IGNORED

1chip/2chip scene slang origin

8 hours ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

Oh?  What page?

Are you specifically curious or being a smart ass?(text intent is a tricky read)  I'm talking about the technical docs, not the ones some nerd put up on gamefaqs.  They got leaked decades ago when someone hacked warioworld.com their US based storage repository of technical schematics, coding docs, press stuff, demo ROMs, etc.  I was in circles of that sort back in the 90s and I browsed their page on a few occasions and read up on the stuff out of curiosity, more so the handheld side as Gameboy/Color was of most interest.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Are you specifically curious or being a smart ass?(text intent is a tricky read)  I'm talking about the technical docs, not the ones some nerd put up on gamefaqs.  They got leaked decades ago when someone hacked warioworld.com their US based storage repository of technical schematics, coding docs, press stuff, demo ROMs, etc.  I was in circles of that sort back in the 90s and I browsed their page on a few occasions and read up on the stuff out of curiosity, more so the handheld side as Gameboy/Color was of most interest.

I searched the official SNES development manual for "1chip" and "2chip" and nothing came up so I'm specifically curious in what technical document you saw them and where.  Just want to make sure I am using these terms correctly so I don't confuse other SNES developers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Like I said, no actual SNES developer that has written code will find that confusing. Only someone that never has will apparently find confusion there when someone is talking about the various SNES hardware revisions using common terminology like 1-chip, 2-chip, SNS-101, etc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

Like I said, no actual SNES developer that has written code will find that confusing. Only someone that never has will apparently find confusion there when someone is talking about the various SNES hardware revisions using common terminology like 1-chip, 2-chip, SNS-101, etc.

I never had to open up my SNES in order to program it, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one.  I think all of those terms deserve a good definition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Look I just had a 16 hour work day, and I'm in no mood to try and go into some circular trap when you're just being kirks simp.  As Atariboy said, it is just that, what it is and a known known community and otherwise.  I don't have those documents anymore, haven't had them in 15 years by now, so I couldn't tell you the explicit file name, nor share it with you to do it, but I read it, recall it, and to me, and that's all that matters for all I care now, is enough.

You're trolling, those terms, if you care to call them terms, are hard fact, hard hardware fact.  They're board/chipset revisions they did over the systems life.  Each change would get added to said document, and any variances in it which people could code for to make sure they don't get random wonk with it.  The down side to that, you do get the rare game that will have some oddball behavior/visual defect on some of said revisions.  SUper GnG and Pocky and Rocky are a couple of knowns to get twitchy on a 1CHIP due to the big redesign caused on that run of the models.

I'm not going to feed into this further, but what I will do, I'm going to put the burden on you, basically I'm going to pull the same try we've done long now on your friend Kirk.  Do the leg work, find that document/code reference it was leaked in the late 90s online from warioworld.com as I said.  Once shit hits the internet, good luck removing it, so it's out there.  FInd it, and your answers will be before you if you take the time to read, maybe do a Ctrl+F to find it in there, but it is there.  Or, you can act like Kirk and just keep arguing, twisting, bucking reality because it's well, convenient.

EDIT: Just going to add this, I own a 1CHIP, it came in all of the line of the Donkey Kong Super Set systems which I have up on the shelf here.  Not that I should, but I could open it up and take pictures, but that revision is well captured and documented in images and more in numerous places online as was already pointed out.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

while I'm flattered that you think of me in such high esteem, I have more in common with the angel who bound Satan in the bottomless pit for a thousand years.

I've no doubt you believe that.

Your comment tells me all I need to know. 🙄

Disagree Dragons Den GIF by CBC

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Haha 2

These terms are also well-known in repair/mod circles for obvious reasons and in the general collecting community for the differences in video encoding quality between most 2chip and 1chip variants, kinda like VA-x Genesis models. Beyond Nintendo's own designation, the use of the number of chips as a differentiator is so intuitive that narrowing it down would be pretty much impossible because that term likely popped up in multiple places at once. All revisions are heavily documented, as well, so even if there were any confusion, it would be cleared up so quickly that I can't see this being anything more than a minor and very temporary annoyance at worst.

That said, if you really want to get into the weeds, in addition to the resources others have linked above, you could take a look at this page, which lists each individual IC on every revision, capacitor values, as well as schematics for not only the main system, but subsystems as well.

https://wiki.console5.com/tw/index.php?title=SNES

Edited by WavyGravy
Typo correction (3chip -> 2chip)
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Wayler said:

So with this information, are we finally able to solve how much is the fish?

I think the answer is so long, thanks for those fish, and 42.

That console5 page is masterful in how they do all that work to sell their cap kits and the rest as it so well breaks things down too so you can buy what you need from their facility.

Console 5 is great! I usually buy broken systems on eBay and the like, and a few bucks worth of parts from them and a quick solder job, I've got a working unit again for pennies on the dollar. Their controller membranes are quite good as well, I've done up quite a few worn out pads with them and they're as good as new.

• Like 1