IGNORED

Atari 2600 4 switch (PAL) Composite Mod, No Video or Sound.

Redsam121

I recently acquired an Atari 2600, 4 switch Darth Vader PAL model. I installed a composite video mod but my console will not produce any sound or video signal. Sometime it gives a beeping sound with varying pitch, other rare times it gives static on the screen, but most times no video signal and just static. The seller stated that the thing was tested before transport and was well packaged.

Things I've done:

• Replaced the two capacitors with 830pf 50v ceramic ones.
  • Removed all the required components for composite mod.
  • Checked all the traces, including mods, all good.
  • Checked the voltage regulator, all good.
  • Checked the transistors and inductors, all good.
  • Checked the chips for activity, getting a signal.
  • Checked the AV sockets, getting 1V with the video out.

I'm out of things to test and can't come to a diagnosis. Is there anything I've missed?

These are pictures my current progress, still no luck.

20231111_150009.jpg

20231111_150002.jpg

20231111_150038.jpg

20231111_150030.jpg

After further testing, I still don't have an answer, but I'm confident that the composite mod is not where the fault is. Because the audio is not directly connected to the circuit. The fault is somewhere on the main board itself. I've tested all three chips with the multimeter and all pins are showing activity. I haven't got any other Atari unit to test these chips on though, so I hope they're not where the fault is.

If you've got power everywhere it should be and it's correct you really need a scope to fault find from here. You can then probe the TIA's luma and chroma out's and see what's happening. If you've got signal there but not at the output you trace inbetween and find where you're losing it. If it's not coming out of the TIA, you've got a different issue and a lot more probing...

3 hours ago, juansolo said:

If you've got power everywhere it should be and it's correct you really need a scope to fault find from here. You can then probe the TIA's luma and chroma out's and see what's happening. If you've got signal there but not at the output you trace inbetween and find where you're losing it. If it's not coming out of the TIA, you've got a different issue and a lot more probing...

I don't have a scope to probe and don't won't to fork out that much cash just for this. I performed a multimeter test, pins 5,6,7 (Luma) all showed an average of 190mv each while pin 9 (Colour) showed about 5v. But that doesn't matter if I can't get a signal to monitor. I'll have to search for other options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, marauder666 said:

300mA isnt enough to run it,  stock psu was 500mA.

how are you testing the psu output, multimeter needs to have the power pass through it and into console.

it not as simple as measuring voltage.

I had the multimeter set to mA DC and had the cables in COM and 10A Input. I plugged the psu in to the console and tested it through there. That's how I got the results. I understand that it's different from voltage.

2 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Could you take a better picture of the bottom of the AV mod strip board?  There's too much glare and I can't see whether the connections are made correctly or not.  It looks like the video input wire doesn't connect to anything.

I've tested it for any bridges or cold joints, nothing found. Here's the under side.

20231212_210302.jpg

The pair of resistors needs to be connected to the same row as the video input and the transistor base.  It looks to me like they are both connected to the emitter and output instead.

BTW, proper output impedance requires another 68 ohm resistor from emitter to video out.  A 470uF capacitor would also be helpful.  That "futurewas8bit" article that added the 75 ohm resistor for impedance matching did it wrong.

6 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

The pair of resistors needs to be connected to the same row as the video input and the transistor base.  It looks to me like they are both connected to the emitter and output instead.

BTW, proper output impedance requires another 68 ohm resistor from emitter to video out.  A 470uF capacitor would also be helpful.  That "futurewas8bit" article that added the 75 ohm resistor for impedance matching did it wrong.

Can I get a schematic to follow?