IGNORED

Atari 2600 4 switch Vader - Secam - Questions

Daedalux

Hey there!

I got my hands on a secam Vader model, it isn't giving image or sound on any of my PAL CRTs / other TVs.

Could it be for being SECAM? It's not modded, so, it's plugged via RF.

All that I can see is static and behind that static I can see some lines that are the game most likely, as the static changes when I turn it on.

Looking for advice!

Thank you so much!

11 minutes ago, fluxit said:

Is that through a switch box, or directly connected?

Did you have the TV do a channel scan?

Directly to the TV, its the only one with SECAM, PAL tv's dont pick it up and neither did this, via channel scan.

What I did was stop the scan where it seemed like the game was playing.

I'm kind of lost honestly. :(

The fact that you can get a picture, no matter how bad, and the game appears to be running means that the console is likely ok. Honestly we've seen RF pictures that broken on quite a few consoles. We don't normally try to fix the RF side of things when they're like that, instead pulling the modulator and going straight to a S-Video/Composite mod.

Edited by juansolo

9 hours ago, juansolo said:

The fact that you can get a picture, no matter how bad, and the game appears to be running means that the console is likely ok. Honestly we've seen RF pictures that broken on quite a few consoles. We don't normally try to fix the RF side of things when they're like that, instead pulling the modulator and going straight to a S-Video/Composite mod.

Yeah, both games worked, Centipede and Berzerk. 

What's the easiest mod I can do? This board is the same as mine:

Atari2600 (SECAM) doesn't work "properly". - Page 3 - Atari 2600 - AtariAge  Forums

Where in the world are you? If you're in the UK I'd be happy to mod it for you with ours (it's not something we sell as a DIY mod). Otherwise there's the UAV from The Brewing Academy and a new one on the block called the ClearComp. I've no experience with the latter, but the former is a good mod but can be expensive to get here. There are threads on this forum for both, I suspect either would be fine for you.

13 minutes ago, juansolo said:

Where in the world are you? If you're in the UK I'd be happy to mod it for you with ours (it's not something we sell as a DIY mod). Otherwise there's the UAV from The Brewing Academy and a new one on the block called the ClearComp. I've no experience with the latter, but the former is a good mod but can be expensive to get here. There are threads on this forum for both, I suspect either would be fine for you.

Portugal :( a bit far! But thank you so much anyways!

Any of those I can get around Euroland? Even clearcomp would get me into some custom troubles. :D 

You might be able to manually tune it in, but you probably won't get colour and the pic might be bad. You usually have less issue with a composite signal but the TV still needs to be able to decode SECAM or it'll be B&W.

Basically the same issues we have with the one TV we have we can manually tune at a granular level to test NTSC RF. The picture is usually bad and never any colour, but we can tell if a machine works before we mod it for composite/s-video. Most of our sets handle NTSC over composite/s but none of them do over RF.

Edited by juansolo

7 minutes ago, juansolo said:

You might be able to manually tune it in, but you probably won't get colour and the pic might be bad. You usually have less issue with a composite signal but the TV still needs to be able to decode SECAM or it'll be B&W.

Basically the same issues we have with the one TV we have we can manually tune at a granular level to test NTSC RF. The picture is usually bad and never any colour, but we can tell if a machine works before we mod it for composite/s-video. Most of our sets handle NTSC over composite/s but none of them do over RF.

I think I will be getting another PAL Atari and put this one into my collection. :)

Saw some JR for a good price nearby, is there a noticeable difference between the Vaders and the JR, quality wise?

Not really, PQ is variable across all the different models. We've had juniors with stunning pictures and others with bad ones. Juniors can be had super cheap, it's horrible to say it but we pick them up as parts machines because it's often cheaper to buy one of those than to buy a TIA on it's own for example.

Also, for what it's worth, the pic you get out of your SECAM machine via RF is not much worse than the one we get from an NTSC machine in a PAL TV looking at it again ;)

Edited by juansolo

1 minute ago, juansolo said:

Not really PQ is variable across all the different models. We've had juniors with stunning pictures and others with bad ones. Juniors can be had super cheap, it's horrible to say it but we pick them up as parts machines because it's often cheaper to buy one of those than to buy a TIA on it's own for example.

Would love to have a heavy sixer one day, but for now I think the JR will suffice, but here in Portugal all the Atari models are normally very expensive, don't really know why. 

2 minutes ago, juansolo said:

Likewise on the heavy sixer. Importing a Sears one sometimes looks like it might be an option that doable as they seem to be the cheapest. But a PAL or NTSC Atari heavy sixer is big money here too.

Now that I repaired my Speccy 128k +2A and with an Atari to boot I'm going to have a banging time! :)

Worth doing this on a +2.

SpeccyPlus2Tape.thumb.jpg.6bc4f336ae42fc06625a1f2baa7e35fb.jpg

Buffers the audio between the tape deck and the speccy, and also gives a line in you can use with an iPod to play the games in for.

Yeah the RGB is a must. There are a host of mods you can do to make the picutre better also as Amstrad really messed up. Worth a read: https://retrorepairsandrefurbs.com/2021/07/07/sinclair-zx-spectrum-128k2-grey-restoration/

• Like 1

That Speccy of mine is actually a period 80's mechanical keyboard for a rubber key 48k Spectrum. There's nothing online about them, though I can find adverts for the company, nothing for the keyboard. Inside it is a Zaxxon Just Speccy 128K replacement motherboard. Essentially a new spectrum with a DivIDE, Kempston Interface and RGB on board. It's a surprisingly cool thing.

5 minutes ago, juansolo said:

That Speccy of mine is actually a period 80's mechanical keyboard for a rubber key 48k Spectrum. There's nothing online about them, though I can find adverts for the company, nothing for the keyboard. Inside it is a Zaxxon Just Speccy 128K replacement motherboard. Essentially a new spectrum with a DivIDE, Kempston Interface and RGB on board. It's a surprisingly cool thing.

Such an awesome thing! Gonna check that sound mod out aswell! Thanks a lot :D

It makes the audio from the tape deck to the spectrum a little more consistent. But it's most useful as it allows for a line in. Using an old iPod to load games is the way to go. Saves wear on what are now getting to be very old and fragile tapes. Modded a couple of +2's and a few other speccy's. Fun machines. Would love to bag a +3 and swap out the floppy drive for a Gotek as that's a super neat solution.