IGNORED

Making Bin Files From Source Code (Starpath Betas)

Tempest

On the Stella Gets a New Brain CD there are several source code listings.  I noticed that some of them have never been turned into BIN files as far as I can tell.  Two of them also say that they won't work on current Supercharger hardware (I assume they were made for prototype versions of the hardware or possibly only work on a development system).  Can someone attempt to compile these asm files and see if they can be made to work with Stella?

Supposedly suicide.asm is the final version but it says prototype in the source code listing so I don't know.  I'm also including Frogger and Communist Mutants which are also supposed to be final just in case.

excal48a.asm excal48b.asm suiprot0.asm suiprot5.asm

suicide.asm

commie.asm frogger.asm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is the goal to have files that are compatible with DASM, or to keep them as is and figure out which assembler is necessary for them?

I started working on a disassembly of Frogger a while back...that's partially based on a disassembly that @Nukey Shay had started years and years ago.  It can be assembled into a working BIN file for Stella, but currently, there's not much in the way of comments and symbol naming.  The file you provided here has variable names which is actually useful to have.

My goal was to get these assembled and running on a real 2600 (or Stella).  I'm not picky about the how. :)

Frogger and Suicide Mission are supposedly the final versions, but Suicide Mission says it's a prototype in the source code so I'm not sure about that.  Excalibur 48 is definitely a WIP that I'd like to be able to play through as are those two very early versions of Suicide Mission but those may not be able to run on real hardware (if the notes in the headers are correct).

A precursory search on Google points to Apple ][ Merlin Assembler being the format of the provided source files.  (Comments being marked by an asterisk was the key)

Side note, I start comparing the Frogger source you provided above with the disassembly I mentioned.  So far, I've found that some data tables are in different places... and I've found at least one chunk of data that differs in size.

1 hour ago, splendidnut said:

A precursory search on Google points to Apple ][ Merlin Assembler being the format of the provided source files.  (Comments being marked by an asterisk was the key)

Side note, I start comparing the Frogger source you provided above with the disassembly I mentioned.  So far, I've found that some data tables are in different places... and I've found at least one chunk of data that differs in size.

Wow.  Great detective work!

I wonder if the game is the final but just unoptimized?  I guess we'll find out.  Thanks for looking into this.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was wrong about Frogger.  I was thrown off by the astericks and didn't notice some commented out code and data.  I've gone thru labeled and commented most of the disassembly I have using the source file above for insight into what things are and how they should be named.  So far, everything seems to be lining up.  Because of that, it's probably safe to say that what you shared above is the final version.

Just now, splendidnut said:

I think I was wrong about Frogger.  I was thrown off by the astericks and didn't notice some commented out code and data.  I've gone thru labeled and commented most of the disassembly I have using the source file above for insight into what things are and how they should be named.  So far, everything seems to be lining up.  Because of that, it's probably safe to say that what you shared above is the final version.

Ok.  Good to know.

• 3 months later...