IGNORED

Bruce Lee Graphics Mode

Could anyone tell me what graphics modes Bruce Lee is designed in?

I'm quite new to the Atari range and have used this table so see the graphics modes.

Looking at the Bruce Lee screen there seems to be the blue sky, white, two shades of grey, and the plum colour (five colours).  I appreciate the PMGs can be different colours (which I assume is Bruce and his adversaries), but looking that the above table the maximum number of colours in BASIC modes 3 - 8 is 4.

I'm looking only at using BASIC at the moment.  I know a bit of Z80 Assembly language, but have not ventured into 6502 yet.

Thanks

Peter

39 minutes ago, jonesypeter said:

Could anyone tell me what graphics modes Bruce Lee is designed in?

I'm quite new to the Atari range and have used this table so see the graphics modes.

Looking at the Bruce Lee screen there seems to be the blue sky, white, two shades of grey, and the plum colour (five colours).  I appreciate the PMGs can be different colours (which I assume is Bruce and his adversaries), but looking that the above table the maximum number of colours in BASIC modes 3 - 8 is 4.

I'm looking only at using BASIC at the moment.  I know a bit of Z80 Assembly language, but have not ventured into 6502 yet.

Thanks

Peter

Is in basic charmode GR.13 or Antic mode 5 that is in 2:2 ratio so are the 5colours:

-> BAK, PF0 and PF1 common on all chars;

-> PF2 or PF3 unique per char / 4th colour (the two cannot be on the same char);

Bruce uses two Players and Yamo the other two while Ninja uses the 5th Player (the 4Missiles 8pixels wide combined so PF3 is always black on the chars gfxs).
👍

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonesypeter said:

Thanks José,

So PMGs can be used in the Character modes?

Sorry, what's PF?

Thanks

PMGs can be used in any mode just changing its using in some modes/priorities.

PFs are the pixels gfxs so in the char modes 2:1 and 2:2 ratio:

BAK: border and paper (a ZX basic one 😉😄) colour can be on all chars;

PF0 and PF1: the other two common on all chars;

PF2 or PF3: the 4th colour on a char (can only be one or the other on a char);

(it works similar to C64 but this one has 8 unique per char instead of only two on A8)

Ps.- down the screen can be used DLIs, that is changing colours on different scanlines like sky blue to a wall gray and a this to a dark one near the floor,...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Thanks 1

@jonesypeter just for info, just in case you weren't aware, the Atari can display any number(all) of graphics

modes in a screen, the display is created by a separate processor which has it's own instruction set.

Have a look at Display List topics and as @José Pereira has said, this same processor can change colours on

the fly, so you're not limited to just the few colours in any particular mode.

However you will need to venture into 6502 Assembly though to use this.

@jonesypeter 

Hi,

I've attached source code for the first screen that you can compile with MADS.

You could experiment with colors by altering the color table, and also where the dli's are happening by changing the display list. You should get a better handle on how DLI's and Colors work.

Even better if you are able to trace through it with the Altirra debugger.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

LEESCRN1.png

GraphicModes.xex GraphicModes.asm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2