IGNORED

PAL Games displaying with wrong colours

Cripper2

On 11/23/2023 at 3:24 PM, JetmanUK said:

I only have a handful of 7800 carts and I can confirm that Galaga is off the bottom of the screen and Tower Topler is not displaying correctly either. 

Unless Tower Toppler looked different on PAL consoles, the NTSC version of the game is NEVER going to look 'good' through the 2600+. The game relies on and requires the artifacting effect that is only possible through RF and composite output. Anything better and you will get that striped effect look to all of the graphics.

Is this really the first time a lot of folks have seen what TT's graphics actually look like as programmed? 

Those of us with s-video upgrades on our 7800s have known about this issue with Tower Toppler for many years now.

Unless again, there is something else that isn't correct with Tower Toppler I'm now aware of?

Look at the screenshots for the database here at Atariage for this game. These are from an emulator, but the effect is the same. The stripes are there in all of the graphics because the game was programmed to make use of NTSC artifacting in order to present colors on the screen that weren't actually there. I believe a few Atari 8-bit games use the same artifacting as well like many of the pinball games I've seen?

https://atariage.com/screenshot_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=713

1 hour ago, AtariYMás009 said:

use only the first settings I've mentioned, I was wrong about the color settings above, is hue (at least in my tv, named ''matiz'' in spanish) what you have to increase to 75%, sorry

They may work on your make/model TV/monitor, but those settings look terrible on my displays.  It's not really a solution or even a work-around for me - it's too impractical to be changing stuff for the odd game then having to spend time changing the settings back for other games and devices.  I'll wait for Atari/Plaion to fix it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THX-1138 said:

They may work on your make/model TV/monitor, but those settings look terrible on my displays.  It's not really a solution or even a work-around for me - it's too impractical to be changing stuff for the odd game then having to spend time changing the settings back for other games and devices.  I'll wait for Atari/Plaion to fix it.

Yeah @Ben from Plaion announced this in future updates :

2600 PAL colour palette change to z26

I hope it comes soon because I won't be using my Atari 2600+ until this has been fixed. I seriously don't see how changing the image settings every time I switch games, every time I want to watch Netflix, or play PS5 is a solution.

• Like 1

I was just trying to give a more accurate adjustment for the color palette, I have tried the first ones that I mentioned on several screens and they look good like this (in my opinion), but at least we already know from @Ben from Plaion that they plan to change the pallet to z26, a much better solution for pal games, in Dark chambers with standard the palette the floor is indistinguishable from the traps haha

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 11:05 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That doesn't look normal to me. But maybe I am wrong, so let's collect some more PAL-50 Pac-Man pictures from other people. 

When I'm playing PAL 50 Pac-Man on my PAL 2600 I see "swedish" blue and yellow. The ghosts show now color difference - the official manual doesn't even mention pinky & co. The four ghosts are called "Ghost Quartet". They are pink and turn blue after eating a power pill. That's all:

pm_og_pal_pal.thumb.jpg.d196df43a3376f5d156a5737f3ae0bef.jpg

I checked my european Flashback 50 with a PAL-Rom (I think it is PAL) and see slightly different blue and yellow. And I see ghosts in slightly different colors or brightnesses. Regarding the official manual this seems to be no official feature or just wrong. Some ghosts seem to be blue even without power pill.:

pm_fb50.thumb.jpg.44dddbeeadc18b2ea58e72d8a0fd183c.jpg

The shots were taken from the same LCD TV. Old 2600 via RF. Flashback via HDMI.

• Like 1