IGNORED

2600+ Update Procedure?

MittyOz

So I've got my console here.  Plugged into a computer via USB.  What is the process/procedure to update it?  It's not recognised by the PC at all (nothing happens when I plug it into a USB Port.)  Logic dictates that you'll need to have switches in a particular position etc to put the console in a mode that it will receive an update?  Or do you have to insert a USB-C Memory stick with an update file on it?

Obviously there is no update available yet but presumably they will arrive sooner or later.

4 hours ago, MittyOz said:

So I've got my console here.  Plugged into a computer via USB.  What is the process/procedure to update it?  It's not recognised by the PC at all (nothing happens when I plug it into a USB Port.)  Logic dictates that you'll need to have switches in a particular position etc to put the console in a mode that it will receive an update?  Or do you have to insert a USB-C Memory stick with an update file on it?

The obvious way to update the device would be to connect it to your PC via USB and then to hold down the GAME RESET switch while turning on the 2600+. If I do that on Windows, I then hear a notification sound to indicate a device was connected. However it's listed as "Unknown Device". We'll have to wait for Atari/Plaion to release an updater app.

Edited by Dionoid

^Thanks, that's what I was after.  At the very least this kind of thing should be documented maybe in a support section on the Atari Website, and publicly available, even if there is no update available (yet).  We've been told that yes updates will come, but it would be nice to know exactly how that's going to work.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MittyOz said:

^Thanks, that's what I was after.  At the very least this kind of thing should be documented maybe in a support section on the Atari Website, and publicly available, even if there is no update available (yet).  We've been told that yes updates will come, but it would be nice to know exactly how that's going to work.  

Imagine if the updates come on 2600 carts complete with packaging etc sold on Amazon 🙈

10 hours ago, MittyOz said:

Well there's space for one but there's no actual slot.  Unless some versions actually have one?  Not sure it's the kind of thing somebody could solder on...

I've gotten a lot better with soldering after I basically replaced all the caps on a Wells Gardner monitor, and assembled a SC131 CP/M board kit... it's definitely hard because the pads are so small... but you could definitely do it. The question is... what happens when you put a Micro SD card in it? Can you boot with it?

There's also the additional USB port on there as well... would be interesting. But for me, I'm just happy I have something I can play my old Atari 2600 carts on!

On 11/17/2023 at 11:10 AM, Dionoid said:

it's listed as "Unknown Device". We'll have to wait for Atari/Plaion to release an updater app.

A quick search for the vendor and device ID let to the rockchip usb device (rockusb device). Driver can be found as part of the Rockchip driver Assistant and the tool Rockchip Batch tool.

Here's a zip file with the driver files and tools without the bloatware:

rockchip-driver-and-tool.zip

To install the driver, right click the unknown device in device manager > choose update driver  > browse computer > browse to the driver folder and select the folder for your Windows OS version.

Now we just need a firmware update ::D

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 10:10 AM, Dionoid said:

The obvious way to update the device would be to connect it to your PC via USB and then to hold down the GAME RESET switch while turning on the 2600+. If I do that on Windows, I then hear a notification sound to indicate a device was connected. However it's listed as "Unknown Device". We'll have to wait for Atari/Plaion to release an updater app.

It sounds like your put it into FEL Mode, so the game reset button is the FEL Mode button, Flash Mode where you flash firmware from the PC to it so you can flash or dump its nand or eMMC to from the PC, but to dump the nand or eMMC you will need to copy it somewhere so will need a USB Stick connected to it using maybe a OTG cable so you can connect the power data cable and the USB Stick to it, you might be able to use the dd command to make a image of the nand or eMMC to the USB Stick to make a copy of its firmware.

Edited by Spanner

21 minutes ago, Spanner said:

you might be able to use the dd command

Can you get some kind of shell access to it over the USB? There should be plenty of RAM to dump the firmware there and then stream it back. But the question is why?

I could use a tool for updating the prosystem.dat file over USB just to test my own games on it.

2 hours ago, karri said:

Can you get some kind of shell access to it over the USB? There should be plenty of RAM to dump the firmware there and then stream it back. But the question is why?

I could use a tool for updating the prosystem.dat file over USB just to test my own games on it.

I was just saying thats all, I did it on THEA500 Mini.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:05 AM, Hawkangel said:

Jumping the gun a little aren’t we? 😜 I assume there will be a windows exe file to download  from the Atari website or some similar that will recognise the 2600+. 

Well, at least it's not the situation of Rogue Firmware coming out that's leagues better. As a developer I would hate if that happened, especially if I got shown up

Edited by tradyblix