IGNORED

1088xel question

chevymad

Which slot is the dominant pokey?  I know i've used my pokey one as the stereo pokey before, but I shorted it against the keyboard in my 800xl. Now I don't think it works completely. I'm trying to use it in the xel again because there's lots of room.  The computer goes to basic when pokeyone is put in U5 with barely any response to the keyboard. Sometimes the keyboard lights flash, sometimes reset works. It will go to the loader if it's put in U6, no response at all from the keyboard. But it will load and play games via joystick. I've ordered another real pokey, pretty sure that will fix it.  But I'm just curious. 

My xel's been down for awhile. I had worked up an internal fujinet card, but space for cabling made it a bit flakey. So i've removed that. I also had a flaky(abused) vbxe, so I ordered a new one. The new adapter won't work with the xel's precision socket however. Computer only worked when pressing down on the vbxe just right. Switched back to the old adapter and it works, even though the pins are shorter. 

Lol, reading this I sound like a disaster.. shorts and flakiness everywhere. Oh well.. 

Thinking more about it this morning. I think it's more likely my real Pokey has developed an issue then the pokeyone. I know I also have a pokey/pokeyone combo in my xld working fine. If I get a wild hair, I may swap a real pokey out of my 800xl to see if it works.. though I oughta just wait for the new pokey to arrive. 

17 hours ago, chevymad said:

Which slot is the dominant pokey?

Hmm let's see...

We know that the dominant Pokey needs to minimally talk to SIO and Communicate with the Keyboard so looking at the schematics which one do you think is dominant?

I'm not trying to make fun of you, but I do encourage people to use the schematics that I provide to try to figure this stuff out on their own first.

image.thumb.png.03d6766e95b207dea3a5e14a664530a1.png

image.thumb.png.3563d555bed389867adaaa4ee4cb8dda.png

Edit: I accidentally left an image that gives it completely away. And although I erased it, since you're tagged you will have seen it :)

• Like 1

Confirms I had it right to begin with. Looks like i've got a failing original pokey.  Not sure why, but just seems a lower numbered chip would have been the main one. Thanks for throwing those diagrams up. and ya... could have looked for those myself. Should even be on this machine somewhere, though I recently moved all my data from an old pc.. so your website would have been easier. I was even on your site.. looking at pictures of the boards, funny how the mind works or sometimes doesn't. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chevymad said:

Confirms I had it right to begin with. Looks like i've got a failing original pokey.  Not sure why, but just seems a lower numbered chip would have been the main one. Thanks for throwing those diagrams up. and ya... could have looked for those myself. Should even be on this machine somewhere, though I recently moved all my data from an old pc.. so your website would have been easier. I was even on your site.. looking at pictures of the boards, funny how the mind works or sometimes doesn't. 

Glad you got it all figured out :)

As for the mind... mine often feels like it's running an early version of ChatGPT.

• Haha 1