IGNORED

X Vs. O

atari2600land

Hi all. While I was away I started work on a new Odyssey 2 game called X Vs. O. So far there are two games I've done: a two-player tic-tac-toe and another minigame, which is kind of like Carnival now

that I think about it, where you shoot Os in the sky. I am going to make a third game which is like whac-a-mole only instead of moles, you hit the Os and avoid hitting the Xs.

Instead of pressing 1 2 3 4, you would press X, O, multiply, and 0. But multiply and 0 don't work since I haven't gotten that far programming yet.

This morning I worked on putting the complete Cedar Games intro in, which made the game be 8k instead of just 4k. I am wondering if I should just use bank 1 for just the intro and put the whac-a-mole in bank 0 or if I should make a fourth game that I have no idea what it would be.

How am I doing so far?

xvso25.bin

• Like 1

Hi Chris

I like what you have done so far!  I know you mentioned that there is not enough room to program a single player version of tic-tac-toe.  I think it would be more fun to play against the computer CPU rather than a 2nd person. However, I understand that this would be much harder to code.

So for the mini-games you have:

1. tic-tac-toe

2. shooting game similar to Carnival

3. game similar to whack a mole

4. ?

I had a thought: Could you program a scaled-down mini-game sort of based on ZOOKEEPER?  Instead of animals, it would be 0's and / or  X's that the little Odyssey2 man would be trying to contain

Here is a video of ZOOKEEPER by Champ Games for the ATARI 2600:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l83mJtcyAIs

thanks,

Tim

Oh, I think you could make a basic, scaled-down version. It could be called O-KEEPER.  One wall. So it just a grid "box" that is containing the wandering O's.  Occasionally the O's break a hole in the wall and get loose. The little Odyssey2 man must catch and return the loose O to the pen. I believe you can do it. I believe in you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Returned to work. I'm busy adding a new minigame. The goal of this is to rescue the Ps and avoid the Os. Once I put it in the main ROM, it will go back to the title screen, but it doesn't now. If you miss a P to rescue or run into an O, the game automatically restarts. Thoughts?

xvso39.png.7a9b196df9437b89499cc2db1c71413c.png

xvsobankzero39.bin

• 4 weeks later...

I need to test this to make sure it works okay. Here is version 41 (and hopefully the final) version of X vs. O.

On the title screen...

1.  press 1 for a two-player tic-tac-toe
  2.  press 2 for a minigame where x shoots flying os
  3.  press 3 for a whack-an-o game (but don't whack the Xs)
  4.  press 4 for the most recent game I was working on.

xvso41b.bin