IGNORED

My 5200 has fallen and can't get up!!!!

johnnywc

Hello all,

About 8 years ago I purchased an Atari 5200 (2-port) with a multicart from Shawn Kelly. At the time, it worked very well, except for some minor maintenance on the controllers (standard for any 5200 controller).

Well, a marriage, 2 kids and a house later I dug out the ol' 5200 to play some games and I'm having some problems I was hoping a 5200 expert could help me with:

- system powers on fine and I get a very nice looking picture (in this case, Missile Command)

- with the game on, there is a constant "white noise" being generated

- controllers don't seem to do anything, no matter what buttons I press

- I have tried this on Channel 2 and 3 with the same results. I have also tried different games, also with same results.

My question is: does anybody know how to fix this thing? More specifically, is there a service out there where I can send this 5200 for a tune up? I've heard about "gold plated contacts", refurbished controllers, etc. - can anyone lead me in the right direction to get this thing up and running? It's been a long 8 years and I can't wait to play these games again... :)

Thank you all for any help.

Welcome!

Let's see, for the sound problem it could be a couple of things. First, the TV switchbox are a common problem, you may want to consider replacing it with a RCA to F-Jack convertor as detailed here. It also could be an internal problem with the 5200 but hopefully it's just the switchbox.

Your controllers probably just need a good cleaning but if you're interested in the gold plated contacts Best Electronics is the place that sells them.

Good Luck.

Mitch

If you still are having trouble with it, send me a Private Message. I have an extra 5200 we could try swapping some of the chips with (if they are in sockets.) Plus if you didn't catch the other post, Best Electronics is going to make an announcement about a new and improved part for the controllers on Thursday (tomorrow).

Allan

Thank you all for your help. As for the TV/Switch box, I'm not using one (I'm using the RF/Coax adapter). I opened up the system and cleaned all the dust off but no luck. The picture is very clean and clear - the sound is just awful though. And I'm suprised that both of the sticks don't work at all, but with all the horror stories of these controllers I guess I shouldn't be.

What kind of announcement is being made by BE?

Thank you all for your help.  As for the TV/Switch box, I'm not using one (I'm using the RF/Coax adapter).  I opened up the system and cleaned all the dust off but no luck.  The picture is very clean and clear - the sound is just awful though.  And I'm suprised that both of the sticks don't work at all, but with all the horror stories of these controllers I guess I shouldn't be.

What kind of announcement is being made by BE?

This is the copy of the second email I got after re-inquiring about the announcement

"Thank you for your E-Mail dated 10-9-03 Jeff.

I had a last minute extended business trip come up Jeff. I will make

the formal announcement on Thursday next week. By the way all of the

parts in now in the US ready to go!

Regards,

Bradley Koda"

And this is the previous email reply to the 5200 controllers :D

"Thank you for your E-Mail dated 9-21-03 Jeff.

Q. I am interested in buying some and wondering if you still have them in stock?

A. Yes all in stock Jeff. But you might want to hold off ordering any Atari CX52 replacement parts Jeff. We have had a major Atari CX52 parts upgrade project in the works for the last 5 - 6 months. In about a week to week in a half, you will see a Major announcement at the Best Web site. It is one of those type announcements that if you did not wait for, you would kick yourself after you see it.

Regards,

Bradley Koda

"

Johnny,

The sticks will literally go bad from just sitting of non use too. So just because they were working when you packed up the Super System some time ago, doesn't mean those sticks are still gonna work later. This is probably the main reason people move to the gold contacts is to prevent this exact problem with the sticks failing from non use.

My fire buttons crap out after about a week of non-use.

I've gotten good at opening the sticks up.

Have you rebuilt your controllers lately with new parts, or do you just keep on trying to clean you old circuit and buttons? If the controller was rebuilt, this should not happen.

Keep cleaning.

I'm using stock controllers that, as far as I know, came with the systems(both decks are second-hand).

Sure buying new flex circuits would make life easier, but that costs money.

'Sides, I only need to keep one stick working. Don't do much multi-player, and all I need for Space Dungeon is the pots.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I finally got around to cleaning the joysticks and found the docs for Sean Kelly's multicart (hadn't seen it in about 8 years!!!). Good news is that I can now play games on the 5200 - controllers work great (for now), picture is decent (considering it's RF), but the sound is still just white noise. Even tried games with voice (Berzerk, Baseball) but nothing.

As for the controllers - I'd love to get those Best Electronics gold replacements. Any feedback on those from anyone? Are they worth it? How difficult is it to install them? I feel comfortable opening up the 5200 sticks (I cleaned them ok) and putting them back together - should I be all set to do this upgrade?

As for the RF video, it's ok but I've been spoiled with the composite out on my XEGS and a video mod on my 2600 so it's not going to cut it. Does anybody have info on the video upgrade for the 5200? Is it easy to do? Is it composite or S-video?

It certainly is an exciting time to be involved with the 5200. I'm glad I got on board when I did!! :)

Thanks everyone for all their help!!

As for the controllers - I'd love to get those Best Electronics gold replacements.  Any feedback on those from anyone?  Are they worth it?  How difficult is it to install them?  I feel comfortable opening up the 5200 sticks (I cleaned them ok) and putting them back together - should I be all set to do this upgrade?

I think best eletronics replacement parts were well worth it. I got them as soon as the gold plated ones were released and have been very pleased with them. The Atari 5200 was my first Atari console but untill I got the parts I could never use it...not even cleaning helped.

As for the RF video, it's ok but I've been spoiled with the composite out on my XEGS and a video mod on my 2600 so it's not going to cut it.  Does anybody have info on the video upgrade for the 5200?  Is it easy to do?  Is it composite or S-video?  

There is a fairly recent one available... it's pretty much plug and play..have to hook up a few things.... It has both composite and Chroma/Luma(S-video).. there is no soldering required. I got it a couple weeks ago and am fairly impressed with it. If you look a few threads down in this forum you can find more about it. It can be purchased from www.8bitdomain.com

Update:

I finally got around to cleaning the joysticks and found the docs for Sean Kelly's multicart (hadn't seen it in about 8 years!!!).  Good news is that I can now play games on the 5200 - controllers work great (for now), picture is decent (considering it's RF), but the sound is still just white noise.  Even tried games with voice (Berzerk, Baseball) but nothing.

As for the controllers - I'd love to get those Best Electronics gold replacements.  Any feedback on those from anyone?  Are they worth it?  How difficult is it to install them?  I feel comfortable opening up the 5200 sticks (I cleaned them ok) and putting them back together - should I be all set to do this upgrade?

As for the RF video, it's ok but I've been spoiled with the composite out on my XEGS and a video mod on my 2600 so it's not going to cut it.  Does anybody have info on the video upgrade for the 5200?  Is it easy to do?  Is it composite or S-video?  

It certainly is an exciting time to be involved with the 5200.  I'm glad I got on board when I did!!  :)

Thanks everyone for all their help!!

Dude,the gold parts are a MUST BUY!!I love them :) Had no probs on my 5200.If you feel queasy about installing them,Best will do it for you.The only touchy thing to replace is the rev 9 flex circuit.Be careful how you bend it to fit in the controller. :ponder:

• 1 month later...
How exactly do you clean the joysticks?  I have a pile of them that I would like to get working properly!

Thanks,

Laura

You take them appart(be sure to start by removing the bezel holding the auxilary buttons first..otherwise you'll damage the flex circuit when you open the joystick) and clean the flex circuits and buttons inside with rubbing alcohol... but it's hardlly worth the effort....with every controller I tried it on the controllers worked fine for a day and then went back to being non-functional the next time I tried them... thats why I got the replacement parts.

with every controller I tried it on the controllers worked fine for a day and then went back to being non-functional the next time I tried them... thats why I got the replacement parts.

That's what I was afraid of but at $27 a controller for the gold-plated replacement parts, it adds up! I was hoping to avoid cost that but it looks like I might not be able to.....thanks for the help. :)

I've had pretty good luck cleaning non-functioning 5200 controllers. I rub the contacts lightly with an eraser to clean them. I've got a controller I cleaned this way last year, and it's still responsive. That being said, I usually go ahead and replace the circuit in a non-responsive controller with a new rev 9 circuit from MrRetroGamer.