IGNORED

2600 Heavy Video Problem

shawnmcvic

I plugged in my backup 2600 today and after cleaning the power switch it finally gave me video. However there’s a weird red band migrating from the bottom of the screen to the top. I’m reading 8.55 volts at the switch and the voltage regulator. Otherwise everything is working great. My other 2600 looks fine on the same TV. Any ideas? (The diagonal line in the video is due to the iPhone camera, not actually on the TV screen)

I think the issue is the input voltage is a tad too low. While the power supplies are rated for 9v output. That is what it is expected to provide with a load placed on it. The actual 2600 PSUs put out about 13 - 14v without a load and then average around 10v on the input side of the voltage regulator.

So it could be the switch is still a little dirty or the power supply isn't quite up to the task on this 2600 while on another it might and I've found that voltages below 9 will start to introduce some oddness like this on the color output. 7.5v will give you some good rainbow bright puke goodness on games.