IGNORED

Homebrews in UK

Microjak

After rediscovering the Atari 2600 thanks to the 2600+ I am considering picking up an original PAL  woody but would  also like to collect some of the newer homebrews.Are they available anywhere in the UK or would I have to import them (carts) with huge postage costs? and would they be available in PAL format?

I would probably consider a harmony cart but would I be able to buy/download new homebrew roms to load onto it? Cheers

Edited by Microjak

If it's homebrew you're after you'll ideally want an NTSC console or a RGB modded PAL one as that essentially makes it multi-standard. Importing is really the only option for physical releases and quite frankly that's now so prohibitively expensive ROMs make way more sense. Champ and Muddyvision sell their games as ROMs, hopefully others will follow. Collecting physicals in the UK will die out soon enough the way things are going.

If you've not already got an existing collection, and you've got a TV that supports it, I'd look to getting an NTSC console. It's the path of least resistance when it comes to compatibility. If you get a 2600 slap a Harmony cart in it, if you get a 7800 Get a GameDrive. The latter also supports 2600 games on the 7800.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Microjak said:

After rediscovering the Atari 2600 thanks to the 2600+ I am considering picking up an original PAL  woody but would  also like to collect some of the newer homebrews.Are they available anywhere in the UK or would I have to import them (carts) with huge postage costs? and would they be available in PAL format?

I would probably consider a harmony cart but would I be able to buy/download new homebrew roms to load onto it? Cheers

Most releases of WIP, demo and public full version of hombrew ROMs are uploaded to the PlusStore which is maintain by @Prizrak. So with a PlusCart you are mostly up to date on the homebrew scene without the hassle of searching the web for new ROMs and fumbling around with SD-Cards.

• Thanks 1