IGNORED

Christmas 2023

Natsume

Despite nearly being 50. I’ve never owned a Colecovision.

Over the last 5 years or so I’ve been watching episodes of starcade, in some of the shows, the name the game bit, the special prize was a colecovision. The more I read and watched about Coleco and Colecovision. The more I just had to have one.

and finally, my mother bought me a boxed unit two weeks ago. A cbs colecovision as I’m in the uk.

I had already picked up a few games in anticipation of this.

it’s my Xmas present and I am so excited, I was given grace to test it for 4 hours.

Wow, I’ve been daydreaming of playing it again ever since.

these are the games I have.

also I’m waiting on one NOS game, the blackjack poker game, which leads to my only question, did overlays come with games, or separate.

I’ve seen the repros on eBay, just wondering as my NOS game is one I want a overlay for and not sure if any come with new games.

88AB5E11-C728-4462-AF02-135E6A8F4574.jpeg

8C310665-8B3E-4AC0-B607-B4D066597423.jpeg

• Like 1

Are you referring to Ken Uston blackjack/poker?  If so, I believe it came with overlays.

I share your enthusiasm for the Colecovision.  Back in the early 80s (1982/83), just about everyone we knew -- to include my own family -- had an Atari 2600 (or VCS as it was referred to at the time) or the rebranded Sears version.  One or two had an Intellivision, which we viewed as a slight upgrade, but it offered a fairly limited library (not many arcade game ports, which was most kids' primary interest at the time).  And then one day, one of our neighbors invited us over to play their new Colecovision, which was viewed as the premiere state-of-the-art system at the time (and quite expensive as I recall -- close to $200, which was a small fortune in the 80s).  Our minds were completely blown!  I can't explain how amazing an experience it was -- it was the first time we saw a system that actually came close to arcade-quality graphics.  I recall Donkey Kong was the "pack in" game, and it was far superior to any other version on the market.  They also had a copy of Donkey Kong Jr. (my absolute favorite at the time).  Of course, we all immediately wanted a Colecovision; but back then, you would be hard pressed to convince your parents to buy a new system when the one they already forked out over $100 for (a LOT of money back then) was still working perfectly fine.  So I made a lot of excuses to visit that neighbor over the next year or so!

To this day, I have never owned a Colecovision, but I still have very fond memories of the system.  Hope you enjoy it!

Jim 

Edited by JamesIves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JamesIves said:

Are you referring to Ken Uston blackjack/poker?  If so, I believe it came with overlays.

I share your enthusiasm for the Colecovision.  Back in the early 80s (1982/83), just about everyone we knew -- to include my own family -- had an Atari 2600 (or VCS as it was referred to at the time) or the rebranded Sears version.  One or two had an Intellivision, which we viewed as a slight upgrade, but it offered a fairly limited library (not many arcade game ports, which was most kids' primary interest at the time).  And then one day, one of our neighbors invited us over to play their new Colecovision, which was viewed as the premiere state-of-the-art system at the time (and quite expensive as I recall -- close to $200, which was a small fortune in the 80s).  Our minds were completely blown!  I can't explain how amazing an experience it was -- it was the first time we saw a system that actually came close to arcade-quality graphics.  I recall Donkey Kong was the "pack in" game, and it was far superior to any other version on the market.  They also had a copy of Donkey Kong Jr. (my absolute favorite at the time).  Of course, we all immediately wanted a Colecovision; but back then, you would be hard pressed to convince your parents to buy a new system when the one they already forked out over $100 for (a LOT of money back then) was still working perfectly fine.  So I made a lot of excuses to visit that neighbor over the next year or so!

To this day, I have never owned a Colecovision, but I still have very fond memories of the system.  Hope you enjoy it!

Jim 

I Love this, Jim.

thank you for sharing :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m getting better with the systems controller. 

this really is bringing the arcade experience in the home.

if I’m this amazed 40 years later, I probably would of died with this as child

my first Christmas console was a nes and before nes I had a Tandy trs-80.

i wanted a acorn but the computer was bought from a friend of the family.

F7DC6DB1-C049-487F-B428-D675B74F1536.jpeg

1C4FDE1B-67A2-4B7B-B4C1-38370B03379D.jpeg

124551F9-E032-4D9E-B6FB-F428CFBE0763.jpeg

Edited by Natsume
  • Like 2

It just gets better.

im a big Famicom fan. I wasn’t sure I’d like colecovision dk jr.

I tested this game a month back and it felt different  to famicom (which I have played lots of)

just gave it more of a chance and I freakin’ love it.

I try take my mind back to the 80s as there was a pub which had this on table top. (10p insert coin)

Colecovision for its time is nothing short of amazing.

still working on getting grips with the controller.

Edited by Natsume

1 hour ago, Natsume said:

This on eBay in America, I’m in the uk.

it’s over a £100.

as you know, I’m new to colecovision!

is this a good price?

Thank you 

04F847F1-2BAB-4F7B-933A-9A70EEE63C67.png

I will be honest with you.  If you really want to experience a lot of games you should just take that $100 and buy an Atarimax  SD multi cart.  $130 used is about 100 Euro 

https://www.atarimax.com/colecosd/documentation/

Edited by rietveld
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rietveld said:

I will be honest with you.  If you really want to experience a lot of games you should just take that $100 and buy an Atarimax  SD multi cart.  

thank you. 

I don’t know how I didn’t know about colecovision as a child.

I was 8 in 83 but I knew Atari was before that age.

I’ll learn more as I read here.

very grateful for your input and everyone’s to be honest.

just had a friend over for Ken ustons bj.

we were playing the dealer but our real bet for cash was, start with 1000 and first to 3000.

the sound effects in the game are awesome!

Edited by Natsume