IGNORED

The Paddles

MittyOz

Hi, new here.  Just wanted to see if I summed this up correctly.  

I got a 2600+ with paddles, and tried to play several games on the new 2600+ with the new paddles (Breakout, Circus Atari, Kaboom) and all of the experiences I had were not great.   The paddle is jittery and jumpy.  

Summary, it seems like a lot of people are having the same experience, but not much we can do about it?  Looking like people are hoping for some sort of software update in the future?  If there is anything I can do now to make this experience better, can someone let me know?   (Trying game mode, but I dont think its latency, more just something with the paddle itself?)  Thanks in advance!

Has anyone else noticed jitter in Kaboom? I have the new CX30+ paddles and even when not touching them in Kaboom the bucket jumps back & forth. I watched the comparision video posted in this thread and I didn't see any jitter in the video. Is it just me?

Well simply holding the controller could add jitter, as flexible machines, humans constantly move, and readjust to hold (what we precieve as) steady. Get close enough to trip between paddle movements and potentially the controller could register slight movements you do, like your pulse.

Let us know how you like that controller living room arcade. I've thought about it and just never bought one. I may be buying their range (or whatever the stick is called) as Atari can't seem to get them in stock, and s bulk of Atari games prefer two players.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:24 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

I dont think so as Breakout moves much smoother then the video above showing Super Breakout.

I don't have a video to show but my own experience playing breakout on the 2600+ looks exactly the same as the video above of super breakout. Ie. not smoother

On 1/14/2024 at 3:47 PM, Living Room Arcade said:

Got tired of waiting for Atari to un-bundle their paddles

IMG1_203x240.jpg.cd0fe534acaad6f2488ebff3dc7ab434.jpg

so I ordered the Hyperkin Ranger.

https://hyperkinstore.com/ranger-premium-wired-gamepad-for-atari-2600-retron-77-hyperkin/

IMG2_240x240.jpg.247e05233a1eea76502a9037a3bf3c3e.jpg

The original Atari paddles were two to a plug. With these hyperkins, say you wanted to play warlords, would you need to buy four? And are there two into one adaptors?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

The original Atari paddles were two to a plug. With these hyperkins, say you wanted to play warlords, would you need to buy four? And are there two into one adaptors?

@danny_galaga  You're right.  Yes, you would need to buy four.  Let me take you to the Retron 77 product page at Hyperkin here.  You'll see the Trooper joystick, the Ranger gamepad and a multi-paddle Ranger adapter.  

image.jpeg.a096b473114c29705fe0368208906aea.jpeg

That's the two-into-one adapter you're looking for so you can plug two Rangers into one controller port just like OEM Atari CX-30 paddles.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

Hi everyone / First time posting / Longtime reader though

I have dusted out my retro consoles recently (Coleco/NES/SNES). I am about to finish the process with my favorite console, the 2600.

I have many units / paddles / joysticks & cartridges. For all consoles, I have hundreds of cartridges and Harmony / Powerpack ones for ease of use and transportation. 

I was tempted by the HDMI 2600+ until I read the downsides to it, and for me, there are too many. Sooo, I will stick with my original ones.

MY QUESTION: Since my paddles & joysticks (many) all have little issues (including my driving controllers), I would like to consider buying the new CX 30+ paddles to use on my original systems. Reading the thread, I couldn't find a definitive answer on INDY 500's compatibility with these paddles on old systems. 

Anyone has a complete answer on this matter ? Thank you in advance. 

INDY 500 comes with special driving controllers which are dramatically different than paddle controllers (though they look similar).  The paddles have two controllers per cord and a potentiometer inside with a hard left and right stop.  The driving controllers are dedicated spinning knobs without stops and have a single controller per cord.  Their signals are closer to the joystick than the paddle.  Unfortunately driving controllers aren't supported on the 2600+, but it's still a great platform for the vast majority of carts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kjames_s_2000 said:

INDY 500 comes with special driving controllers which are dramatically different than paddle controllers (though they look similar).  The paddles have two controllers per cord and a potentiometer inside with a hard left and right stop.  The driving controllers are dedicated spinning knobs without stops and have a single controller per cord.  Their signals are closer to the joystick than the paddle.  Unfortunately driving controllers aren't supported on the 2600+, but it's still a great platform for the vast majority of carts.

Indy 500 uses the driving controller, not the paddles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akator said:

Indy 500 uses the driving controller, not the paddles.

The original Indy 500 NTSC works on the 2600+, as Stella supports Joystick controls but would play much better with driving controller support. Indy 500 XE from AA does not work, as it needs a driving controller (no fallback to joystick by Stella).

8 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

The original Indy 500 NTSC works on the 2600+, as Stella supports Joystick controls but would play much better with driving controller support. Indy 500 XE from AA does not work, as it needs a driving controller (no fallback to joystick by Stella).

The driving controller has no auto detection. For the original game, Stella has built-in properties (which seem to be used). But there are no properties for most hacks. There are just too many.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:44 PM, yorxs said:

Has anyone else noticed jitter in Kaboom? I have the new CX30+ paddles and even when not touching them in Kaboom the bucket jumps back & forth. I watched the comparision video posted in this thread and I didn't see any jitter in the video. Is it just me?

KaBoom has more jitter no matter what system you play it on. I tested it on Atari 2600+, an original Atari, and on the Stella emulator on my computer... Kaboom has more jitter than other paddle games. Although on Stella on the computer you can turn down the paddle sensitivity and the jitter then mostly goes away. (However, I would say that I don't get the jitter if I'm not touching the paddles at all. Only if I do touch them.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glorkbot said:

Does the Hyperkin Ranger work as a 2-button controller for Atari 7800 games?

image.jpeg.be82d46a9da0f989441c1536c2a6fd29.jpeg

@Glorkbot  Okay, you know now.  So, for anyone else who might have the same question, FYI 1 is the paddle knob, 2 is a thumbstick, 4 is the "fire" button.  And 3 might look like a button in the photo, but it is not a button, just a Hyperkin logo.  So only 1 button.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:44 PM, yorxs said:

On 1/21/2024 at 9:18 AM, Glorkbot said:

KaBoom has more jitter no matter what system you play it on. I tested it on Atari 2600+, an original Atari, and on the Stella emulator on my computer... Kaboom has more jitter than other paddle games. Although on Stella on the computer you can turn down the paddle sensitivity and the jitter then mostly goes away. (However, I would say that I don't get the jitter if I'm not touching the paddles at all. Only if I do touch them.)

I came here specifically to find out if I was alone on this.  I find Kaboom to be very jittery.  Especially when holding the controllers, but they also “twitch” if the controllers are sitting on the floor.  I have both the 2600+ paddles and I also have a refurbished BEST Electronics controller and both exhibit the same exact problems.   I don’t recall it being this way on my original hardware, but of course I could be misremembering.  

• Like 1

I just got the new Atari Paddle Pack with 4-in-1 games cartridge. Yay!

I had a good session on my 2600+ with a few of the paddle games I have.

Now that I found what, for me, I think is a comfortable way to hold (in my left hand) and then where to position and what grip-style (I go with a grip of two-fingers, index and middle, and thumb) with my right-hand on the paddle-part of the controller, I think the new paddle-controller feels great, is smooth and responds well. I haven't really noticed much (if any) 'jitter' with the games I've played with it so far.

So far my favorite game to play with it is Super Breakout.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 1:12 PM, CircusBreakoutKaboom said:

Hi, new here.  Just wanted to see if I summed this up correctly.  

I got a 2600+ with paddles, and tried to play several games on the new 2600+ with the new paddles (Breakout, Circus Atari, Kaboom) and all of the experiences I had were not great.   The paddle is jittery and jumpy.  

Summary, it seems like a lot of people are having the same experience, but not much we can do about it?  Looking like people are hoping for some sort of software update in the future?  If there is anything I can do now to make this experience better, can someone let me know?   (Trying game mode, but I dont think its latency, more just something with the paddle itself?)  Thanks in advance!

We're getting quite a bit of jitter in some of the modes in Video Olympics.  Kind of ruins the enjoyment.  They seem to work better on some of the slower or multi-bumper games like table soccer.  But straight up pong or hockey they jitter quite a bit.

On 11/23/2023 at 3:22 PM, MittyOz said:

Wondering what everyone thinks of the Paddles.  I'm pretty happy with them.  They're a bit stiff, but hopefully this will improve over time.  The build quality is amazing, they seem exactly the same physically as my original paddles (though they work much better, my old ones have a bit of jiggle/drift).  They're also the item that appears to just have sold out online, you can't get them anywhere.  Very glad I pre-ordered just for those.

Which games are you playing with your paddles, how are you finding them?

I just got the new CX30+ Paddles from Amazon today to play on my Raspberry Pi 3B running Stella 6.7 (not lr-stella) and using the 2600-daptor and the Hyperkin Trooper 2 6-button USB joystick.

These paddles are rock solid with virtually no jitter on my roms of Breakout, Super Breakout, Warlords, Street Racer or Video Olympics. I only see the tiniest jitter in Kaboom, but only when the bombs drop - the buckets are stationary between rounds, so maybe the complains about Kaboom's jitter is from the original coding.  (I have my Stella emulator settings to 51% paddle sensitivity and Dejitter to 5).

I'm amazed the potentiometer is so small. Hopefully, it won't be susceptible to grime and constant cleaning like the old style. Also, these are far and away better than the paddles that came with my AtGames Flashback 4, which I have been using for my Raspberry Pi setup.

I haven't bought the Atari 2600+ because (1) based on the comments on Atariage, it doesn't seem like it's fully baked yet and (2) I don't have any carts - beside the 4 in 1 that came with the paddles. But I'm encouraged to pick up the new CX-40+ joystick to run with the 2600-datop for second player because the build of these paddles feel great.

I may eventually get the Atari 2600+ if enough new selections of multi-carts become available, or if someone hacks it to play roms. 

Edited by radiohead

5 hours ago, radiohead said:

But I'm encouraged to pick up the new CX-40+ joystick to run with the 2600-datop for second player because the build of these paddles feel great.

I agree with you on the new paddles. They work amazing and feel great on Stella.

The new joysticks are just as great. I’m waiting for them not to be backordered so I can get another one.

• Like 1