IGNORED

fd 2000 burning smell

Mr Oni

12 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Sorry thank you for responding Im not a tech I dont have anything like that. to actually test if its working I need the proper power supply I can get the multimeter if you can tell me what to look for.  Any idea where to get a psu for the Fd 2000? https://www.ebay.com/itm/370818869884?hash=item565686ea7c:g:CsoAAOSwxZRalNkw&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8OggEPYvjf6pieD8qfARRHhHN%2BQKG8GfiBWUYnVTzPHy9RLtWQCjbEQORYjDej0py4lThzbUJg7vEyd6uDUBCQlGzVXukpxtIUN7ai74NvFmFFc%2B8OibNglPzKOuzB6uq57T88ISzDufSLMkfg3%2Fm8eKfK2P6uTE1Pfzv6phwSOe4pzp91Hx9Vyfof7%2BSRqE1epKC0OZwTcGpKWqEXkESi%2FGd7vOjdQz%2F7amDzQLHf0XA2%2FyamYjVA3gkjdILJu5Td0l7tRUa4WB2ovVLVpyy1K3b3kB6XBqkpGUW8M5oQip6QVy6VNlhu2RqCx34MoyTQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM-OSznYFj  Would this work?

Edited by Mr Oni

On 11/23/2023 at 4:53 PM, OLD CS1 said:

First step is to identify what you fried.

12 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

As an aside, as someone who wanted an FD-2000 for a very long time, knowing this has happened hurts my feelings.

I am not proud of myself either as I should have payed closer attention. I took the lid off and I cant see anything wrong right behind the power plug is a blue capacitor maybe that was blown?

4 minutes ago, Mr Oni said:

I am not proud of myself either as I should have payed closer attention. I took the lid off and I cant see anything wrong right behind the power plug is a blue capacitor maybe that was blown?

It could be.  It could also be a fusible resistor.  It could also be a diode.  It could be a voltage regulator.  You are going to have to do some basic troubleshooting.  Having a schematic would be helpful, but I have never looked for one for the FD series so I cannot say one even exists.  I would be surprised if a power supply with too high of voltage would fry anything as 7805s and 78012s, if used, have a pretty high input ceiling.  However, if the device uses the input raw, you can really wreak havoc.  AC input could also take out some components even blow out some traces.  A lot of things could have happened here, but with no more information on the context, there is really no telling.

8 minutes ago, Mr Oni said:

I'd seek professional help. It would help to see the plate on the incorrect power supply that you used.

8 hours ago, Mr Oni said:

its the atari 400 one

The barrel or the DIN?  I was expecting the FD to have the same power supply as the HD.  If it is the barrel connector, that is 9VAC.  My guess is you popped the 5V voltage regulator.  It looks like the FDs have a 9V DC 1A PSU.  Not easy to get 12V out of that in that era machine, so the floppy drive mechanism probably only needs 5V.  The bog standard voltage regulator would be a 7805.  They are not very tolerant to AC.

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

The barrel or the DIN?  I was expecting the FD to have the same power supply as the HD.  If it is the barrel connector, that is 9VAC.  My guess is you popped the 5V voltage regulator.  It looks like the FDs have a 9V DC 1A PSU.  Not easy to get 12V out of that in that era machine, so the floppy drive mechanism probably only needs 5V.  The bog standard voltage regulator would be a 7805.  They are not very tolerant to AC.

13 hours ago, bent_pin said:

I'd seek professional help. It would help to see the plate on the incorrect power supply that you used.

ive been trying to find an old school tech here in the baltimore area :(