IGNORED

I started a poll under ‘2600+’ about wishing/not wishing Atari to make the 2600+ run Rikki & Vikki and/or license R&V for cart-re-run

Giles N

I started a poll about wishing/not wishing Atari to make the 2600+ run Rikki & Vikki and/or license R&V for cart-re-run.

Please join if you care about this issue.

Just go to 2600 -> 2600+ and find my poll check the options you go with, and also nice if you take time to say what your own, independent opinion is concerning my questions in the opening post + how much you’d be willing to pay for a copy.

Thanks 7800-people.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bikeguychicago said:

R&V wouldn't work on the current 2600+ anyway as it uses a custom sound chip, so the point is moot. 

"Not really, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The game is already supported in Libretro / RetroArch, which is based upon ProSystem. It's also supported by BupSystem, which I wrote with low-end platforms in mind and is available for commercial licensing."

1 hour ago, bikeguychicago said:

R&V wouldn't work on the current 2600+ anyway as it uses a custom sound chip, so the point is moot. 

They’re working on the first firmware-update.

They’ve said they’ll have more info around 7-9 December, perhaps sooner.

There is little reason to believe they’ll stop updating firmware further, as it is much cheaper than producing an entirely new device.

My poll also includes a question whether you want Atari to do licensed run of R&V carts.

(and, no - if it should happen that the 2600+ cannot be made to run it, which isn’t likely either - there are several other good reasons for Atari to license this a sell it as hardware carts over the next 3 years or so… - at least if attracting retro-gamers is on their agenda)

Edited by Giles N

51 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Or you could support it on Steam. One of the few games I've bought in multiple formats. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893690/Rikki__Vikki/

Maybe my 7800 will shoot craps and I will sell my copy. :P

Yes, the steam version id cool to have and cheap.

I have that.

It doesn’t fit or sit naturally in any retrogame-hardware ‘biome’ (everything from things like the Evercades, to the Gamestation to real carts that can be played on original hardware).

Or at least, it doesn’t fill the same demand.

9 hours ago, Giles N said:

(and, no - if it should happen that the 2600+ cannot be made to run it, which isn’t likely either - there are several other good reasons for Atari to license this a sell it

I’ll just clear up what I mean here, as the sentence was poorly written on a rushed note.

It said that if the 2600+ had used another 7800-emulator software, it could’ve emulated Rikke & Vikki.

So, it’s unlikely that it isn’t possible to program emulation to run it.

If they get the dumper to work properly with well-coded emulation software, it should be possible.

But, independent of this, Atari (SA) needs to in the upcoming years to create e renewed interest, not only in the 2600, but also the 7800.

A natural course to take here, is to start with, those who already have some interest in extended retro-gaming, because its people of that kind that keeps Atari retro-gaming warm over longer periods. (All the YouTubers, all the Atari-net pages, dedicated social media groups etc).

They used Mr.Run and Jump and Berzerk to promote the 2600- capabilities of the 2600+.

They need something of interest, domething that shines and sparkles, to get a renewed interest in the 7800’s capabilites.

Rikki & Vikki would fill that space very well, and give retro-gamers of the kind mostly familiar with NES and SMS-games, feel that the 7800 is really worth checking out.

The 2600+ poll/thread has gotten 30 votes pro R&V compatibility and hardware-cart re-run.

I actually thougth the interest would be greater, given what I’ve seen written about this before here under the 7800-category.

You can in the text write any opinion about pricing you want… my suggestions were the ones I felt most realistic (as mentioned somewhere compared to Atari’s own collector-editions vs standard cart, and editions of Circus Convoy.

You can argue for anything you like in the text-section.

Would like to see more people here clicking the poll-options.

It’s much more likely that the everything 7800 (homebrews, hardware-stuff, better emulation, d-pads and what-not) will grow and expand on a general trend, if it becaomes more featured, more frequently in better ways on the retro-gamers scenes.

A re-run of hardware carts and 2600+ compatibility may help that a great deal.

Increased interest in these things happen through quite un-surprising channels:

- memories/nostalgia

- sheer quality of production

I would think from a business standpoint that 2600 games could be Atari, and maybe a a 7800 game like Rikki & Vikki with Atari XP/Limited Run Games.

Frankly there's a ton of amazing 7800 content that could be a candidate for a limited Atari XP run.

I bet they have a nice 2600 cartridge PCB but may not have spent the money to make a 7800 one.

4 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I bet they have a nice 2600 cartridge PCB but may not have spent the money to make a 7800 one.

They spent the money to buy AtariAge. And I would bet that the former owner knows a guy - or two or three or a dozen guys - who can provide any 7800 PCB they might want.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@MrZarniwoop and @DrVenkman

I find it either unlikely (or, - for what’s it would be worth to Atari’s ears, not adviceable) that obtaining equipment for 7800-carts shouldn’t happen quite soon in the sense of production-time.

- - -
So, if any of you haven’t voted yet, - and everyone else here who haven’t voted: take the 10-60 seconds it would take to pop by the poll and give your personal, independently-arrived-at-opinion, I’d appeciacte that! (Unless, of course you vote ‘no’)

Edited by Giles N

18 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

For a better interpretation of this poll, for example I wonder how many people would have voted for an XP edition of OUTLAW.

If Outlaw used the menu hack that’s available, I think people would more willing buy the XP version.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

For a better interpretation of this poll, for example I wonder how many people would have voted for an XP edition of OUTLAW.

The pricing people are willing to pay for any version can be described in ones own words, everything from ‘Yes, Atari do a re-run, I’ll gladly pay $4.99’ to - in my estimate more realistic ideas like three versions from $59.99 - $179.99.

- - -

It would of course also be a general advantage for all 7800-enthusiasts that, at least the 2600+ got as updated as to firmware as possible, since it may become a thing retrogamers want to use to play more advanced hombrews.

29 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

However, I think it would ruin the fascinating ritual of the original selection.

With games like Berzerk, ET, or Pac-man I suppose it isn’t big deal. Then again with games like Asteroids or Space Invaders, that’s a lot choices.