IGNORED

When will there be a scheduled firmware update for the 2600+?

swlovinist

Does anyone know roughly how the process for updating the firmware will work?

I've seen some suggestions that you need a PC to do the update, which I don't have (we only have Mac devices in the family).

It's possibly a bit premature, but I was just wondering in case I need get something lined up if the process only works with Windows?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

Does anyone know roughly how the process for updating the firmware will work?

I've seen some suggestions that you need a PC to do the update, which I don't have (we only have Mac devices in the family).

It's possibly a bit premature, but I was just wondering in case I need get something lined up if the process only works with Windows?

Generally with stuff like this, it's either you plug the device's USB-C connector into the PC, and run a windows executable to update it, or you copy a file over the usb connection and the system reboots and installs it.

As to the windows PC, it depends: if it's copying a file over to the 2600+, the USB connection should work fine on a mac. If it's a windows executable, then you will need a windows PC unless they supply Mac/Linux executables as well (unlikely, at least at first).

There are some options though. You could buy a cheap 'windows pc on a stick' for $60 on amazon and use that (they make nice emulation devices for a spare tv). The Nucbox 5 is like $150 and makes a fantastic media center device if you want to spend a bit more. Alternately, you could install windows to a Mac virtual machine (run windows under MacOS) and give it USB access, and that may work. Lastly, it's theoretically possible that you could run the executable with something like wine and get it to work, depending on what it requires to run, but I don't think Wine allows USB access if memory serves, so that's probably out.

Lastly, depending on your physical location, you might be able to meet up with someone or send the unit to someone to update for you. Atariage folks are often nice like that I have found.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the stick PCs are quite a bit more expensive in my country (the shipping cost alone can almost double the cost), so that's not really a good option for me.  I can buy Parallels and set up Windows on a VM, but it would be the Arm version of Windows, so there's no guarantee that would work.

I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the update details to be released!

16 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

I can buy Parallels and set up Windows on a VM, but it would be the Arm version of Windows, so there's no guarantee that would work.

Have an ARM based Surface Pro X myself so rather hoping this won't be a factor. They're generally pretty good though. There's been very few compatibility problems, and I've used things like disk images for Raspberry Pis and the like on it. Also did a firmware update for a Mayflash MF104 joystick to USB adapter, so I imagine that would be broadly similar in a technical sense. I would imagine the Parallels virtualisation layer would be more problematic than the ARM-based Windows. 

PS: first post on AtariAge since 2007! All thanks to the 2600+! Did you miss me? 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Some of the discussion here about ARM Windows kinda proves my point about how ARM is the future. So, with that said, I hope more dev tools will be available for ARM Linux. Especially for my Raspberry Pi 400 (though speculation says that there will be a Pi 500 based on the recently released Raspberry Pi 5).

As for the main topic at hand, I'd still say they'll figure out some tools to upgrade the 2600+ firmware and stuff like that.

7 hours ago, Loccy said:

Have an ARM based Surface Pro X myself so rather hoping this won't be a factor. They're generally pretty good though. There's been very few compatibility problems, and I've used things like disk images for Raspberry Pis and the like on it. Also did a firmware update for a Mayflash MF104 joystick to USB adapter, so I imagine that would be broadly similar in a technical sense. I would imagine the Parallels virtualisation layer would be more problematic than the ARM-based Windows. 

PS: first post on AtariAge since 2007! All thanks to the 2600+! Did you miss me? 😁

Windows 11 ARM edition has some x86 emulator on it does it not?

6 minutes ago, ForceInfinity said:

Windows 11 ARM edition has some x86 emulator on it does it not?

Yep. It's pretty seamless. In regular use you don't need to know whether what you're running is x86, x64, ARM32 or ARM64. I've had one compatibility issue, with a VPN client app, but otherwise you generally wouldn't know the difference between it and a "regular" Windows Surface other than it's much lighter and the battery lasts forever. 

My sole desire would be some sort of update to make the 2600+ compatible with Flash Carts. I know that update would have to be substantial, but unless Atari actually starts selling carts/roms beyond limited edition releases AND irons out all the convoluted licensing with big 80s classics on the Atari (eg Activision titles and Atari-made ports of 3rd party titles, among others) there's not much incentive to get a 2600+ over just getting Atari 50 and the Switch Flashback Collection. Or, ya know, just using the same software to emulate games on a PC.

I like the aesthetics of the 2600+ substantially over the R77 and obviously the emulation and build quality are better than any of AtGames' offerings (not that that's a high bar), but as someone who lacks a giant library of carts it's very difficult to deal with. 

I don't think I should have to spend several hundred dollars on collecting all of the carts that haven't been reissued just to make this more user-friendly for my 60 year old parents.

I've seen people talk about it cynically as "they wanna sell carts!" but that doesn't even make sense since again, they have a pretty limited library of hot titles (at least as far as I'm concerned when it comes to 2600 games). The whole reason I got a harmony cart was exclusively because my folks wanted to play Asteroids and Space Invaders and I figured it would be smarter to let them play ANY games they wanted rather than buy those 2 specific games, but the state of things sort of invalidates that.

I don't have buyer's remorse for either Harmony or the 2600+, but I absolutely have things I wish would be improved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

I've seen people talk about it cynically as "they wanna sell carts!" but that doesn't even make sense

They definitely want to sell carts... both re-issue and new games, like Mr Run & Jump.  

And that makes perfect sense- nothing wrong with it.  There is a market- and they are a business.

Anyone cynical about that... probably want's free college, loan forgiveness, etc.

• Confused 3

13 minutes ago, PowerDubs said:

They definitely want to sell carts... both re-issue and new games, like Mr Run & Jump.  

And that makes perfect sense- nothing wrong with it.  There is a market- and they are a business.

Anyone cynical about that... probably want's free college, loan forgiveness, etc.

They are already selling new carts, they just came out with a new version of fatal Run for the 2600 in the XP line

Edited by tradyblix

2 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Bro... why did this randomly become political at the end?

Also, I addressed this. But that's a collectors market, who will eat up literally anything as long as it has the right branding and label. That's the whole reason Infogrames rebranded to Atari to begin with. You literally cannot find anything in the XP library that hasn't been sold-out for months outside of Berzerk enhanced and Mr. Run & Jump, and people that are collectors aren't even gonna play any of the crap they end up buying so it's pointless. This whole thing is a huge waste of money on EVERYONE'S part if they don't offer some sort of solid support (at least until modders get in) so if that's they're plan it's beyond stupid.

You think people buy Analog's devices because they actually care about playing carts they own? If you bought this specifically to play carts you already own when you already have a functional Atari... you need to reevaluate your life.

Speaking as someone with an MBA and into the retro console/emulation scene, this entire market (much like people who hack consoles for "homebrew development") is basically just a facade for piracy and emulation. Hell, even the VCS in its current state is basically that. Because you're gonna make a lot more money appealing to broader audiences than JUST collectors looking for a vaguely functional decoration. The ideal would be to appeal to people who don't want to have to fart around with Stella solo, but still want to play Atari.

In other words, if that is their plan they're gonna be undermined and crowded out by Hyperkin and 500 other companies that offer that ability. Am I saying I expect INFOGRAMES to do this? Given their track record over the last 5 years, 50/50. But regardless I absolutely expect the community to.

So, I guess it's more me being cynical in a different way than not cynical at all: they'd be BRAINDEAD to do otherwise and expect to turn a fraction of a profit, but then again they've been braindead before. I'm just hoping the same minds that told them to acquire NighDive and DE are still there to tell them this much. 

• Like 1

I really hope we get a flatpak firmware updater for Linux.  Or do like Google Stadia flasher which is 100% thru the web browser.  Windows only sucks; at the very least a firmware updater app on the VCS.

------

It'd be slightly against theme, but the loading screen should look like the crazy lines & colors of the Atari 8bit line. 🤔😎🤩

6 minutes ago, suspicious_milk said:

It'd be slightly against theme, but the loading screen should look like the crazy lines & colors of the Atari 8bit line. 🤔😎🤩

I thought the same thing.  The animated/strobing color logo of the early 80s.  The all-white is like some sort of trendy Apple thing or whatever.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ls650 said:

😕

OK, I admit that's a bit harsh 😅 Sorry.

I was in a rough mood because something I got for my Dad (whom I've always bonded with over vidya) as a gift for his 61st Birthday is so limited ATM is frustrating. Especially when I also bought a harmony cart to go with it, which I now have to flash every time my Dad wants to play anything other than the 10 pack-in titles -_-

I'm a youngun and I adore retro atari, but I usually got my fix for Atari via the Code Mystics/Digital Eclipse compilations of Atari and Activision games or through PC emulation. The former especially so since MAME is a nightmare (REALLY wish they didn't delist Atari Vault since it and Atari 50's libraries don't 100% overlap) so I've never had the need to get an actual retro console outside of a display piece.

So with that, and I think having this be limited to original carts is just kind of a waste. Especially when the specs are already well above an original 2600, yet in its current state both an original Atari and the actual public releases of Stella are capable of more. The ease of use and aesthetics are beautiful and I'm looking forward to see what Atari does in terms of long-term support (especially since imo the market for this is much bigger than the VCS) but atm I'm sort of just waiting on bated breath for an update.

Hell I'd be more than down to buy new Roms or even old ones from Atari, but between the amount of expired licenses and the vast majority of the library being 3rd party you basically need a stockpile of carts or the patience of a saint to use the 2600+ to its full potential.

7 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

OK, I admit that's a bit harsh 😅 Sorry.

I was in a rough mood because something I got for my Dad (whom I've always bonded with over vidya) as a gift for his 61st Birthday is so limited ATM is frustrating. Especially when I also bought a harmony cart to go with it, which I now have to flash every time my Dad wants to play anything other than the 10 pack-in titles -_-

I'm a youngun and I adore retro atari, but I usually got my fix for Atari via the Code Mystics/Digital Eclipse compilations of Atari and Activision games or through PC emulation. The former especially so since MAME is a nightmare (REALLY wish they didn't delist Atari Vault since it and Atari 50's libraries don't 100% overlap) so I've never had the need to get an actual retro console outside of a display piece.

So with that, and I think having this be limited to original carts is just kind of a waste. Especially when the specs are already well above an original 2600, yet in its current state both an original Atari and the actual public releases of Stella are capable of more. The ease of use and aesthetics are beautiful and I'm looking forward to see what Atari does in terms of long-term support (especially since imo the market for this is much bigger than the VCS) but atm I'm sort of just waiting on bated breath for an update.

Hell I'd be more than down to buy new Roms or even old ones from Atari, but between the amount of expired licenses and the vast majority of the library being 3rd party you basically need a stockpile of carts or the patience of a saint to use the 2600+ to its full potential.

I know we all like selection and choice, but if your Dad mainly likes a few particular titles maybe a "middle" way would just be to spring for those as loose carts.  A couple copies of Pac-Man and Space Invaders are not going to cost very much at all especially if it makes your life easier.

2 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I know we all like selection and choice, but if your Dad mainly likes a few particular titles maybe a "middle" way would just be to spring for those as loose carts.  A couple copies of Pac-Man and Space Invaders are not going to cost very much at all especially if it makes your life easier.

I've looked, but most of the big names are sold out on Ebay and etsy when I check, or come in grungy untested lots. Was gonna get one of those rare Bootleg 128 in 1 dip-switch carts, but it sold out before I could.

I've got a whole library of over 300 titles that I went through, tried, and curated + homebrew and ports, assuming I could play them on the 2600+. I could obviously just bring my laptop down and hook it up to the TV, but that would imply I spent $170 on a display piece.

Again, I'm ok at the moment to just flash the cart whenever, but it'd just a bummer to have spent almost $200 for something so limited atm. Al talks about a firmware update, and Batari is working on some stuff so I'm ok to wait for the time being.

3 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

I've looked, but most of the big names are sold out on Ebay and etsy when I check, or come in grungy untested lots.

I'll just say, carts from lots and bins have high odds of being perfectly fine.  I've gathered a few, cleanup is quick and easy, maybe re-glue a label and up and running.  I even like the "patina" on most of them.  I might prefer tested, but if it's cheap and common enough (or just a bargain on something rarer) then I'll take a chance.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I'll just say, carts from lots and bins have high odds of being perfectly fine.  I've gathered a few, cleanup is quick and easy, maybe re-glue a label and up and running.  I even like the "patina" on most of them.  I might prefer tested, but if it's cheap and common enough (or just a bargain on something rarer) then I'll take a chance.

I've been told Atari carts are basically indestructible since (in short) they're essentially so basic it's genuinely hard for them to fail, but I've already sunk $50 into a Harmony cart and I'm pretty tapped. Plus, by the time they get here in a few weeks there could be updates already. I'm content to wait, I'm just venting a bit and hoping Atari is listening and sympathetic, lol. 

4 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Work that nobody has been contracted or agreed to do, to be fair. I would not hold my breath it will happen soon. 

Nobody was contracted to develop or make the Harmony cart. 

As most things around here, they are a labor of love by fans in the community. 

So if the developer of it can find a workaround then we will all cheer him mightily at that achievement. 

• Like 1