IGNORED

Module 1 NTSC with PAL console

Cisano

3 hours ago, Cisano said:

Hi, someone knows what happen if I plug the module 1 NTSC on a PAL console?

Does it work? And with which standard?

Thanks.

Module 1 will send NTSC-encoded composite video.  The PAL RF modulator will place this on whatever frequency the PAL system uses (I think some use channel 3, others use something up in the 60's or 80's or something).  It will add the audio subcarrier according to its PAL spec.  So a PAL TV will fail to sync with it due to different timing requirements, but will have sound.  If you manage to find the channel with an NTSC TV, it will have video but the audio will likely be missing or static.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:14 PM, ChildOfCv said:

Module 1 will send NTSC-encoded composite video.  The PAL RF modulator will place this on whatever frequency the PAL system uses (I think some use channel 3, others use something up in the 60's or 80's or something).  It will add the audio subcarrier according to its PAL spec.  So a PAL TV will fail to sync with it due to different timing requirements, but will have sound.  If you manage to find the channel with an NTSC TV, it will have video but the audio will likely be missing or static.

AV modding the PAL console would fix that right?  (I'm just learning PAL stuff for repairs).

On 11/30/2023 at 11:50 PM, Ruggers Customs said:

AV modding the PAL console would fix that right?  (I'm just learning PAL stuff for repairs).

Yeah the easiest thing to do is to make an edge connector to plug in to the Module 1 that provides power and ground (needs +12 and +5 I believe, I don't think it needs -5).  The connector can then tap the composite output and the audio output.  Composite should have a capacitor and 68 ohm resistor to couple with the TV.  Of course the result is NTSC composite video :)

On 12/2/2023 at 5:59 PM, ChildOfCv said:

Yeah the easiest thing to do is to make an edge connector to plug in to the Module 1 that provides power and ground (needs +12 and +5 I believe, I don't think it needs -5).  The connector can then tap the composite output and the audio output.  Composite should have a capacitor and 68 ohm resistor to couple with the TV.  Of course the result is NTSC composite video :)

Also, the module uses the crystal oscillator within the CV console and doesn't have one within the module itself.  So one would also need to provide an appropriate clock signal to the module through the connector.

5 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Also, the module uses the crystal oscillator within the CV console and doesn't have one within the module itself.  So one would also need to provide an appropriate clock signal to the module through the connector.

Oh yeah that too.  The PAL version has an onboard clock due to its different clock speed.  You could fill in the blank components of the oscillator circuit and move a jumper to skip that step on the interface board though.