IGNORED

DIY 2600+ flash cart with a Raspberry Pico

karri

I had a chance to build both of these flash carts, and they both work awesome.  Thank you both so much for your hard work and willingness to share with everyone here.  

I have one question about the 16 in one multi-cart for 2600 only games.  I had read that you were working on a feature to switch games using an IR remote.  so when I built my boards I soldered on an IR photodiode with a 300ohm resistor.  I recently read in this thread that this wasn't for the IR read to switch games but simply an LED power indicator.  Is this the case?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RPV2000 said:

I have one question about the 16 in one multi-cart for 2600 only games.  I had read that you were working on a feature to switch games using an IR remote.  so when I built my boards I soldered on an IR photodiode with a 300ohm resistor.  I recently read in this thread that this wasn't for the IR read to switch games but simply an LED power indicator.  Is this the case?

I have mine with an IR photodiode as well and a some demo-code that is close to fully working.  I've been having some troubles with stability when trying to run the cart and checking the diode.  I have the ROM part working on 1 CPU and the photodiode on the other, but there still seems to be some hiccups, maybe related to interrupts that will cause the ROM emulation to miss a cycle and mess up the game you are playing.  Hopefully I can get it working. 

Happy springtime!

In order to celebrate spring I wrote a small Easter game. Well, it is just a Solitaire called Klondike. But with some chicks added.

Here is the game for the Otaku card.

Easter.uf2

Enjoy!

Nyttkuva2024-03-20085951.thumb.png.6bc99d2ceae971e3160dd78b6a9a6b46.png

Nyttkuva2024-03-20090011.thumb.png.84050ece804e76bd40c5cb8013e1bfb2.png

IMG_20240318_165914.jpg.5df9e18e1f727818056004de72da71a1.jpg

This soundtrack is my 1st attempt ever to use Furnace Tracker with TIA. I am really surprised in how well it turned out. Thanks to @Dave C for writing the experimental TIAdriver and Furnace Tracker TIA rom export!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, pseudografx said:

Not bad for a first attempt. Perhaps try adding a bass line?

The TIA has just two channels. Percussions or bass line is the choice to make. Or some kind of instrument trickery where you can get two sounds of one note.

39 minutes ago, Gamemoose said:

What's the song? It sounds like Axel Foley's rendition of the "Dating Game" theme from "Beverly Hills Cop 2".

It is a tune called Spanish Flea. Written by Julius Wechter in 1965. I am playing it with my band every now and then. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karri said:

The TIA has just two channels. Percussions or bass line is the choice to make. Or some kind of instrument trickery where you can get two sounds of one note.

You are not limited to a single instrument per channel. Just interleave a bass with a drum in some rhytmical pattern.

12 hours ago, karri said:

Inserting a new sound would cut the current sound. So I don't feel it would make the tune better. But I get the idea.

It is a well-known technique and when done properly, you won't even notice. Commonly used on the POKEY and SID.

16 hours ago, pseudografx said:

It is a well-known technique and when done properly, you won't even notice. Commonly used on the POKEY and SID.

Interesting. I have no idea of how to do it.

The tune I wrote is written in Furnace Tracker.

I wonder if you could take a look and see how to incorporate the bass. I have the bass line in the pdf.

Spanish Flea.pdf

The Furnace Tracker file is here:

TIA_Spanish_Flea_Effects.fur

Edit: I found an article in TIA Tracker talking about "Overlay percussion". The idea seems to be that you play the percussion on the beat and skip the attack phase of the following melody note. So a bit like the forever argument between the drummer and the bass player.

It is more than one once I have seen a drummer trying to sell the bass player after the gig as the bass is always late.

So now we have a "well-known" technique to do this properly ;).

Just kidding. I will spend some time in creating a combined bass-hi-hat instrument to try this technique.

• Like 1

Ladies and gentlemen... (drum roll...)

Springtime greetings! Here is the fixed version of Easter Klondike:

Easter.uf2

Reset: starts a new game

Reset: exits a game and shows the score

Select: allows you to choose the game while in the title page

- 1 (easy, draws 1 card at a time)

- 3 (difficult, draws 3 cards at a time)

Fire: choose cards, drop cards

Fire2: draw a new card from the deck, show the face of a card in a spread

You can also draw a new card from the deck by clicking on the deck.

When the deck is empty you can click on the empty deck to turn over the waste deck to a new deck.

Scoring: number of cards in the 4 foundation decks at top right.

Unless someting catastrophic pops up I declare the game complete for now.

PS. I did create a Hi-hat + bass instrument. But the tune did not sound better imho. So I skipped the idea to improve on the background music.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 8:22 PM, karri said:

Interesting. I have no idea of how to do it.

The tune I wrote is written in Furnace Tracker.

I wonder if you could take a look and see how to incorporate the bass. I have the bass line in the pdf.

Spanish Flea.pdf 90.32 kB · 0 downloads

The Furnace Tracker file is here:

TIA_Spanish_Flea_Effects.fur 1 kB · 0 downloads

Edit: I found an article in TIA Tracker talking about "Overlay percussion". The idea seems to be that you play the percussion on the beat and skip the attack phase of the following melody note. So a bit like the forever argument between the drummer and the bass player.

It is more than one once I have seen a drummer trying to sell the bass player after the gig as the bass is always late.

So now we have a "well-known" technique to do this properly ;).

Just kidding. I will spend some time in creating a combined bass-hi-hat instrument to try this technique.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Furnace as I only use RMT for my POKEY tunes. I tried fiddling a bit with the instrument editor and could not figure out how to set an instrument up it in a way I needed.

Best I can do is send you some examples of what can be done with just two channels in RMT for inspiration.

Edited by pseudografx

I believe that I got the idea. Here is a percussion demo. The Closed Hi-Hat looks like this:

Screenshotfrom2024-03-2409-57-05.thumb.png.31cdef64539c2cf966c3e0f558112f82.png

Now I add a melodic instrument without attack. The sound starts with a Closed Hi-hat:

Screenshotfrom2024-03-2410-04-29.thumb.png.4937028f856e10d8829c716d3241c021.png

The technique appears to work with very short percussion sounds.

But imho less is more. The breaks are more important than filling the space with sound. So this is not always a desired solution.

1 hour ago, Gemintronic said:

Is this strictly 2600+ or did the timings on real hardware get worked out?

The TIA output is predictable. Furnace Tracker uses Stella to generate it.

On real hardware the sound varies a lot. But my guess is that it depends on where I play it. My 7800 is connected to a Philips TV with lousy sound. The 2600+ is connected to a Sony TV with a soundbar. The result is beautiful sounds. My Analogue Pocket experiences really strange sounds when using earphones. And nice sounds when using the built-in loudspeaker.

The timings are ok for 2600+ and 7800 imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pseudografx said:

So I figured some things out with help of some skilled Furnace users and I added a bassline (and a snare drum) to a few patterns. Only about 9 orders are currently updated, the rest will be wrong.

Spanish_Flea_updated.fur 1.17 kB · 1 download

A big thanks to you @pseudografx and your friends. The game sound is so much better now. I am also very happy to be able to study the new Snare and Bass instruments. Very interesting changes in the instrument patterns!!!!

Easter.a78

Easter.uf2

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing  Easter on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Fri Mar 29, 2024 | LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT

WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello old folks :P

I'm a bit late to the party, but happed to recently get hands on an Atari2600 by coincidence.

Kinda got dragged into retro, decided to build a flashcart and stumbled upon the Otaku-flash.
I already built the hardware and will start tinkering with the firmware soon.
I was wondering, did anybody build a 3D printable case for that flashcart yet?
If not, would anyone be willing to make one and share STL files?

I may end up creating a case, but it's not too high on my priority list, as i wanna hack the software a bit first.

Cheers!