IGNORED

DIY 2600+ flash cart with a Raspberry Pico

karri

11 hours ago, karri said:

I am currently testing some modern creations on Otaku as well. Like this RType technical demo on a real Atari 7800:

IMG_20240121_210032.thumb.jpg.364cce7beec3799b2a49aff9e72236c8.jpg

And a small video clip from the Atari 2600+ with the latest AtariDumper 1.1.0.9.

I must confess that I am a bit impressed 😁

Starry Eyed Wow GIF by Créu Cat

That's better than NES!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisKewl said:

I finished my cart for the Otaku, I sent it to @karri for review. I hope he likes it!

I LOVE IT! It looks so professional with parts snapping into place.

Perhaps I print the button and the cap on top in white so you can write the title of the current cart on top. The actual cover would be black.

Nyttkuva2024-01-22171132.thumb.png.cba7d4d9b9f630ffef5b823236b93c60.png

Thank you! I will replace my files in Otaku github once I have printed out my copy and verified that the cart fits in.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, karri said:

Perhaps I print the button and the cap on top in white so you can write the title of the current cart on top. The actual cover would be black.

That's a nice way to do it, especially for the cap on top. Then you can use a whiteboard marker to write the current game.

The button may seem a little long, I did that on purpose so you know when you are pressing it. If I made the button near flush then you insert the cart into the console and press the button by mistake it may assume you are wanting to program it instead of play it.

On 1/21/2024 at 7:04 PM, karri said:

I am currently testing some modern creations on Otaku as well. Like this RType technical demo on a real Atari 7800:

IMG_20240121_210032.thumb.jpg.364cce7beec3799b2a49aff9e72236c8.jpg

And a small video clip from the Atari 2600+ with the latest AtariDumper 1.1.0.9.

I must confess that I am a bit impressed 😁

This looks great. Super smooth. I'd love to release play it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This looks great. Super smooth. I'd love to release play it.

Lol! It is actually Bruno testing the capabilities of his new cc7800 compiler. There is several small binaries available that could become a real RType port some day...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, karri said:

Lol! It is actually Bruno testing the capabilities of his new cc7800 compiler. There is several small binaries available that could become a real RType port some day...

There is so much potential here now after the successful launch of the 2600+. Just so damn difficult to actually get product to market that people actually want to buy, but by god I'm in turbo mode trying everything.

• Like 5

The new plastics by @ChrisKewl is really light. It may even fit into 50g. A single envelope might not be sturdy enough to protect the edges...

IMG_20240123_151303.thumb.jpg.69373c3f934405a830de446f90aa8306.jpg

Unfortunately the cart with padding is 118g so posting climbs to the 250g category. Shipping costs much more than the cart. :( 

• Like 1

The final cart snaps together without need for screws.

I also printed the cap in white ABS so I can write the current title on it with a whiteboard marker.

IMG_20240123_175811.thumb.jpg.fd99404b11d01a311f663a90991b4ceb.jpgIMG_20240123_175747.thumb.jpg.2fb33d2cba7eaf93e0241dc7d8b5fc9d.jpg

The white button allows me to re-program the cart without a need to remove it from the console.

• Like 1

The next step could be POKEY emulation.

The two resistors I added was not a great idea. The proper circuit is more like this:

circuit-diagram.thumb.png.e917b5c89b304feb125c4c12a5c19700.png

So I have to figure out how to modify Otaku for audio... It may be easier to work with small components with leads instead of SMD chip components.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karri said:

The final cart snaps together without need for screws.

I also printed the cap in white ABS so I can write the current title on it with a whiteboard marker.

IMG_20240123_175811.thumb.jpg.fd99404b11d01a311f663a90991b4ceb.jpgIMG_20240123_175747.thumb.jpg.2fb33d2cba7eaf93e0241dc7d8b5fc9d.jpg

The white button allows me to re-program the cart without a need to remove it from the console.

I am really glad you like the case, it took me 3 days to develop it. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And playing around with some exciting demos on the Otaku cart...

IMG_20240124_163950_1.thumb.jpg.f5b235340fa4d24377591d07a2354dab.jpg

The image above is on a real 7800.

The image below is on a 2600+.

I do have some problem in my SuperCart Exram emulation as I had to start the console twice for all graphics to appear.

IMG_20240124_170104.thumb.jpg.addf1d68ea08ae64a7a504aceaea3ca5.jpg

I wonder why the 2600+ cuts away half of the text on the bottom line?

PS. If you have an Otaku that still has the LED then you cannot run this. Remove the LED and solder a wire from the RW hole to TP5 on the back side of the Pico board.

PPS. I did find a small, light cardboard box that would allow me to send an assembled Otaku card and 3d printed enclosure in parts as a letter weighing under 100g and the thickness would be just 17mm. This means cheapish postage and fast delivery. :) 

It costs still twice as much as just sending the electronics.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, karri said:

And playing around with some exciting demos on the Otaku cart...

IMG_20240124_163950_1.thumb.jpg.f5b235340fa4d24377591d07a2354dab.jpg

The image above is on a real 7800.

The image below is on a 2600+.

I do have some problem in my SuperCart Exram emulation as I had to start the console twice for all graphics to appear.

IMG_20240124_170104.thumb.jpg.addf1d68ea08ae64a7a504aceaea3ca5.jpg

I wonder why the 2600+ cuts away half of the text on the bottom line?

Looks from a noobs perspective to be overscan on your monitor. But I doubt you'd not of thought about that!

Also it looks a touch more stretched then the 7800 image

I just get so excited to see R-Type running on the 2600+. I played it so much as a kid and that boss is so iconic! Is it just a tech demo with a level, how complete is it? 

I would certainly be interested in approaching the rights holder to enquire about getting a licence for an official release. Chances are low for all the factors involved but it may just be worth a try.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ChrisKewl said:

Thanks, that means a lot! I am also the creator of another cart called Lock-On 2600. I hope @Albert can get these into the store soon!

I was wondering if that thru cart might help some problem Activision carts due to the edge connector not interfacing correctly.

Edited by Bakasama
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 10:33 AM, karri said:

For the people who want to compile stuff for this cart you need to set up the suitable compiler.

There is a nice step-by-step guide in How to Program Raspberry Pi Pico using C/C++ SDK (circuitdigest.com)

Basically use linux and type:

mkdir ~/raspberry-pi-pico
cd ~/raspberry-pi-pico
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raspberrypi/pico-setup/master/pico_setup.sh
chmod +x pico_setup.sh
./pico_setup.sh

This should install everything you need.

You can now compile everything by

cd raspberry-pi-pico/pico/pico-examples
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..

At this point I decided to just add a subdirectory for my pico_rom experiments.

There is a file at pico-examples/CMakeLists.txt

It has several subdirectories. so I just edit the list and add one more subdirectory in the same place where the other subdirectories are mentioned.

#Add pico_rom
add_subdirectory(pico_rom)

The next step is to create the pico_rom subdirectory.

in pico-examples do

mkdir pico_rom

And copy the attached CMakeLists.txt, pin_definitions.h and rom.c to the pico_rom subdirectory.

CMakeLists.txt 680 B · 4 downloads

pin_definitions.h 445 B · 5 downloads

rom.c 139.04 kB · 5 downloads

After this go back to the pico-examples/build directory and type

cmake ..

This will create a new Makefile that has support for pico_rom.

Then just type

make

and the resulting binary is in build/pico_rom/pico_rom.uf2

The next step it to connect your Pico via USB to your PC. Press the white button on the Pico while inserting it into the USB and Pico will pop up a directory showing two files on it. Drag the pico_rom.uf2 file to the folder that Pico popped up and wait a few seconds before removing Pico.

When you insert the flash board with the Pico in your console be sure to put the component part away from you. You should only see the empty PCB board. All components are towards the back of the console.

This is all you need for the 2600+. It you want to run this on a real 7800 I had to keep the cart powered up by a power bank before I switched on the 7800. Once the game starts you can remove the power bank.

The next steps is how to write new versions of rom.c to support other carts. Currently I have a few Python3 scripts that can create rom.c files.

For creating 2600 builds from a single 4k ROM

build26rom4k.py 3.77 kB · 4 downloads

For creating 2600 builds from a 16k ROM

build26rom16k.py 4.15 kB · 5 downloads

For creating 7800 builds from a 16k ROM like Centipede

build78rom16k.py 3.95 kB · 4 downloads

This whole project is just experimental playing with the 2600+. There is no guarantees that things work. Have fun.

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with generating the uf2 file.  I followed the above procedure, however when I run the make command from the build directory it runs successfully but it does not generate a pico_rom.uf2 file, there is and .elf file though.   Am I missing something from my CMakeLists.txt possibly?

1 hour ago, RPV2000 said:

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with generating the uf2 file.  I followed the above procedure, however when I run the make command from the build directory it runs successfully but it does not generate a pico_rom.uf2 file, there is and .elf file though.   Am I missing something from my CMakeLists.txt possibly?

Difficult to say. You could give the commands:

cd ~/raspberry-pi-pico/pico/pico-examples/build/pico_rom

make clean

make VERBOSE=1

and compare the output to my output.

My guess is that there is no call to:

elf2uf2 pico_rom.elf pico_rom.uf2

huu.txt

I don't remember if there was some additional steps for installing the sdk? The first link had some tutorial I just followed as Pico was new for me.