IGNORED

VOLTAGE~!

Boschloo

Unfortunately, an unusual number of Amigas for sale are in Europe. They are marked for 220V. I sent a message to an European seller and he said that if I bought an Amiga from Europe, all I needed was to buy an American power supply. Is this correct, or just a trick to separate me from money?

I was initially concerned about the PAL thing but apparently you can connect them to US Commodore monitors via RGB.

I have an PAL a1200 and I got a very nice aftermarket 110 power supply and I have no issues. I have used my system for years with no problems. Yes RGB is the correct solution to connect you PAL Amiga I have a US 1084s and it looks great in RGB, I also have a RGB scart to HDMI that works well too. Also keep in mind a ton more games were written for the PAL system as Amigas were more popular in EU so you will have great compatibility with more games. Good luck on getting a nice system. Are you looking for a 500 or a 1200 ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Killjoyy27 said:

I have an PAL a1200 and I got a very nice aftermarket 110 power supply and I have no issues. I have used my system for years with no problems. Yes RGB is the correct solution to connect you PAL Amiga I have a US 1084s and it looks great in RGB, I also have a RGB scart to HDMI that works well too. Also keep in mind a ton more games were written for the PAL system as Amigas were more popular in EU so you will have great compatibility with more games. Good luck on getting a nice system. Are you looking for a 500 or a 1200 ? 

I actually wasn't looking for a 1200, because I had recently ordered a 500. But, I saw a really nice, upgraded 1200 and the tinkerer in me started dreaming. And you're right that they were popular in Europe. Not a lot of my friends know about Amigas, unless they're into retrocomputing like me.

Yup, that's all correct. The "wedge" Amigas (A500, 600, 1200) only take DC voltages from the PSU, so the source of that power doesn't matter so long as the PSU outputs are correct.

In general using RGB is just fine. Composite will be PAL-encoded, but the only difference with RGB is the 50Hz refresh rate instead of 60Hz. This shouldn't be a problem with most displays (all Commodore displays I've ever seen support both 50Hz and 60Hz), but there's always a chance there's a 60Hz-only variant out there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...