IGNORED

Intellivisionaries Episode 49 is up! (feedback thread)

10 hours ago, nurmix said:

No offense taken, DZ.  Yes to all of the above and more.

I'm really pleased that Chris and Rick are putting in the effort to keep it going.  I'll still contribute interviews occasionally (some recent ones, and some I've had 'in the can' for a few years).  And I will likely participate in a game review every now and then, if it's one I have something to say about (I'm not keeping up with the homebrews at all these days, so I don't really have an opinion to express there).

The point of my reply was that it's interesting (telling?) that several people in the recent episode threads have made similar comments to yours, so it's good that Rick and Chris are doing more of a "just the facts" style show.  I had a lot of fun with the little comedy bits, extended inside jokes, corrections robots, time travel and other interruptions.  In fact, I started to realize I enjoyed putting those things together a lot more than the actual Intellivision content.  Combine that with my waning interest in retro-gaming / Intellivision the past couple years, and it got me thinking that my involvement with the show was maybe for the wrong reasons, and if that was the case, then why keep doing it.

I hear ya'.  That is perfectly understandable.  I have a similar problem with most of my projects:  I basically quit DJ'ing parties and clubs back in the '90s because I just wanted to mix Freestyle Elektro and Italo-Disco, while the crowds clamor mostly House and Techno -- both of which I really disliked.  Eventually I found my niche doing studio editing and remixing.

Even now, I find myself designing games -- theorizing about their implementation on the Intellivision platform, graphics, sounds, core engine stuff, etc. -- more than developing them, because to me that is the fun part. This is also the reason why my games programming framework has been in development for over 10 years:  I sometimes find it more engaging to polish or optimize a bit of that rather than starting a new game from scratch.

Anyway ... enough of that.  I hope you find joy in everything you do, and that Rick and Chris continue to carry the mantle of the Intellivisionaries. :)

dZ.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rick Reynolds said:

... I swear Paul and I have had a discussion along the lines of "should we do a political show?" something like 5 or 6 times because he and I have mildly debated some political/religious ideas.  We definitely knew that it had no business being in the Intellivisionaries.

I also enjoy the "only game talk" aspect of the show. If I wanted politics or current events, I can turn on the TV and watch the news. One reason I listen to podcasts is to escape the drama of the world :) No harm if you start a sperate politics podcast, I just hope it wouldn't take that one precious thing away from the Intellivisonaries...time. 

(I assume there is a merit badge for starting a podcast?)

I also have no issues with Paul's embellishments on the past shows. I have long drives and a long podcast with funny bits helps break up the tedium of the road for me. Lack of them will not stop me from listening though because there is enough tangent conversations between Rick and Chris that kinda replaces the comedy-jokes-robots-time-travel interruptions we've had in the past.

As for ep49 feedback, I enjoyed the PRGE rundown but it does seem you'all needed to explore a bit more of the show rather than being corralled in the rev labor camp...er booth area all weekend. Sorry to hear of the con crude aftermath, but sounds like you had much fun _during_ PRGE. No good deed goes unpunished...

• Like 1

I finally got to hear the episode in its entirety. Great show as always! Not sure how I avoided getting covid at PRGE but I'm glad to hear everyone is ok.

Thank you cmart and Rick for the kind words about the Lock'N'Chase 8K box. I wanted to add that The Box Master, Steve Jones was pivotal in formatting the design for a gatefold template. He and Luc are absolute heroes for producing that design in gatefold form for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another excellent show guys. Thanks!
Just a couple things:

Rick,
Have you been able to run Christmas Carol on your DSi XL? I keep getting an RIP error?
Everything else I've tried works fine and I really like the Overlays on the bottom screen.

I'm enjoying my new (old) DSi XL with Nintellivision.

Thanks again for covering it on the show.

Also,

Hershey's milk chocolate with almonds is my favorite too.

Looking forward to the 50th episode,
Stephen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenJ said:

Have you been able to run Christmas Carol on your DSi XL? I keep getting an RIP error?

It works for me.  Specifically, I'm using the ROM release -- I believe that's the one DZ has for download at his site.  My Inty ROMs are all .bin + .cfg formatted.

The .cfg file I'm using for Christmas Carol looks like this:

[mapping]
$0000 - $0EFF = $2100
$0F00 - $0FFF = $4800
$1000 - $2FFF = $5000
$3000 - $34FF = $7100
$3500 - $51FF = $A000
$5200 - $91FF = $C000
[memattr]
$8000 - $9EFF = RAM 16

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Reynolds said:

It works for me.  Specifically, I'm using the ROM release -- I believe that's the one DZ has for download at his site.  My Inty ROMs are all .bin + .cfg formatted.

The .cfg file I'm using for Christmas Carol looks like this:

[mapping]
$0000 - $0EFF = $2100
$0F00 - $0FFF = $4800
$1000 - $2FFF = $5000
$3000 - $34FF = $7100
$3500 - $51FF = $A000
$5200 - $91FF = $C000
[memattr]
$8000 - $9EFF = RAM 16

Working now!  Thanks Rick

• Like 1

Love the show.

Always listen as soon as it gets released, and for me the length is great. Keep up the amazing work!

Love the PRGE wrap up. I was keen to get to 2023 PRGE (I'm in Australia) - it obviously did not happen due to life - and am determined to get there in 2024. Looking at flights now, I need to take advantage of some early bird prices and save.

Question for me is the accomodation. As I will essentially be a stranger with no friends, it would be important for me to stay at the hotel where I can hang with some likeminded individuals. When would you guys consider booking accomodation? I don't want to leave it too late and I also don't want to book too early and stay at the wrong place.

Thinking at this stage I'll get work clearance, book the flights and possibly the early expo entry prices for the 3 days. I'll be popping over from Thursday afternoon and leaving on the Monday - effectively a long weekend trip for me with 36h of travel.

Anthony

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 10:52 AM, gar0u said:

Great episode (as always).

Had the best of intentions to attend PRGE this year, but it just snuck up on me.

Definitely going next year after hearing your report.  Hope to see you there!

It really is a lot of fun and you get to meet so many like minded nerds like Rick and I. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:56 PM, Sinjinhawke said:

I also enjoyed the silly parts along with the meat and potatoes parts.  I just don’t like politics which you guys avoided.   I stopped listening to Retro Gaming Round-Up because they couldn’t keep the politics out.   

I can guarantee there will be no talk of politics as Canadian politics are relatively boring compared to many other parts of the world. 😬 What I cannot guarantee though is that I won't randomly go off on a tangent about chocolate or TV or movies. I think Rick and I (and Paul) have always had an easy conversational style and honestly at most 5% of what we say is planned. Lol.

For those that have been to PRGE and joined our large group, and for that matter on the forums in general, we tend to have a lot of nerd adjacent shared likes....also I will always talk about snacks. We hope many will find at least something to like in what we are doing. Also, the pay is amazing. 💰 😊

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 6:10 AM, majors said:

I also enjoy the "only game talk" aspect of the show. If I wanted politics or current events, I can turn on the TV and watch the news. One reason I listen to podcasts is to escape the drama of the world :) No harm if you start a sperate politics podcast, I just hope it wouldn't take that one precious thing away from the Intellivisonaries...time. 

(I assume there is a merit badge for starting a podcast?)

I also have no issues with Paul's embellishments on the past shows. I have long drives and a long podcast with funny bits helps break up the tedium of the road for me. Lack of them will not stop me from listening though because there is enough tangent conversations between Rick and Chris that kinda replaces the comedy-jokes-robots-time-travel interruptions we've had in the past.

As for ep49 feedback, I enjoyed the PRGE rundown but it does seem you'all needed to explore a bit more of the show rather than being corralled in the rev labor camp...er booth area all weekend. Sorry to hear of the con crude aftermath, but sounds like you had much fun _during_ PRGE. No good deed goes unpunished...

Yep, no need to worry about politics rearing their head. Not what any of us are here for I would assume. To your point most of us are here to escape the real world and revel in some nostalgia. 

Thanks for the kind words. While we both miss Paul's sarcasm 😂 I genuinely enjoy working with Rick on this, even if he does nothing to up the sexiness of the podcast like I do. 

As for escaping the labour camp, I should stress again that I am there in a management and finance role and don't end up doing much in the way of assembling due to whatever made up injury I come up with each year. I do tend to buy a lot of the snacks for the group and am known to head up the McDonald's lunch runs. I've been going to the shows since 2014 I guess so at this point I mostly enjoy hanging out with all the peeps at the booth and making many ventures out to the vendors area but tend not to attend any of the talks. I really do want to make a conscious effort to spend more time in the arcade though. 

As for walk around videos I would highly recommend watching Pete, Casey and Mike, amongst others, as they all had pretty great video tours of the massive show. 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2023 at 8:50 AM, the1hatman said:

I finally got to hear the episode in its entirety. Great show as always! Not sure how I avoided getting covid at PRGE but I'm glad to hear everyone is ok.

Thank you cmart and Rick for the kind words about the Lock'N'Chase 8K box. I wanted to add that The Box Master, Steve Jones was pivotal in formatting the design for a gatefold template. He and Luc are absolute heroes for producing that design in gatefold form for everyone.

You're most welcome Eric! You and Steve have done such a great job on so many cool boxes over the years and this LNC one might be my favourite. 

Many thanks to Luc for getting this to market, from what I understand Pete is a big fan of his package. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, abeckett said:

Love the show.

Always listen as soon as it gets released, and for me the length is great. Keep up the amazing work!

Love the PRGE wrap up. I was keen to get to 2023 PRGE (I'm in Australia) - it obviously did not happen due to life - and am determined to get there in 2024. Looking at flights now, I need to take advantage of some early bird prices and save.

Question for me is the accomodation. As I will essentially be a stranger with no friends, it would be important for me to stay at the hotel where I can hang with some likeminded individuals. When would you guys consider booking accomodation? I don't want to leave it too late and I also don't want to book too early and stay at the wrong place.

Thinking at this stage I'll get work clearance, book the flights and possibly the early expo entry prices for the 3 days. I'll be popping over from Thursday afternoon and leaving on the Monday - effectively a long weekend trip for me with 36h of travel.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, glad you like it. 

That would be great if you're able to make the journey, and you'll definitely meet lots of like minded people hanging out at the MEGABOOTH. 

As for the hotel, most of us end up staying at the Hotel Eastlund which is right across the street from the Convention Center. There are a few other ones quite close as well. Most of the places allow you to cancel up until a few days before so not really any harm usually in locking something down for now and then watching for better pricing. PRGE will probably be able to get bulk rates at some of the hotels but it might not be available for a while. 

• Like 3

I think they should introduce a video segment around health and exercise.  We 2nd gen console fans are getting up there and need to stay active.

Not all (most) of us have the keyboard component so we will need you two to be our instructors.  

So break out your "Jack LaLanne's Physical Conditioning" and your leg warmers and take us through the routines.

Do it for your fans.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I think they should introduce a video segment around health and exercise.  We 2nd gen console fans are getting up there and need to stay active.

Not all (most) of us have the keyboard component so we will need you two to be our instructors.  

So break out your "Jack LaLanne's Physical Conditioning" and your leg warmers and take us through the routines.

Do it for your fans.

Since Chris claims he brings the sexy and he's the only one of the two of us that has a Keyboard Component, I'm going to leave this to him to champion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:59 AM, Rick Reynolds said:

Since Chris claims he brings the sexy and he's the only one of the two of us that has a Keyboard Component, I'm going to leave this to him to champion.

Besides Cmart, I also tried to bring the sexy but everyone told me to take it back for a refund.  😞

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 7:44 PM, nurmix said:

Rick is doing a really good job producing the show since I left.  It's not an easy task.  I was primarily the one to blame for the silliness and interstitial bits.  That was just my sense of humor and made the show more fun for me to put together.  But now that I've seen a few listeners state they didn't care for that, it seems I made the right choice in stepping away.

I wanted to say I thought that was great! Normally that would annoy me on other pods but you did it so well. I did want you to stop after a while though because I knew how much work that must be. Especially when there were large gaps before a new episode. To keep that up for all those episodes was incredible really. Also I really liked the start and end tunes which I think you wrote 👍

• Thanks 2

I have some feedback :

Enjoying the new Intellvisionaries series guys! Thank you for keeping the podcast going. I thought the first episode was a bit lacking in the usual humour but this was understandable since it was your first episode running everything. The humour definitely came back in the 2nd and 3rd pods though. Otherwise was all very good!

I have heard most of your old episodes but not all of them. Did BurgerTime actually leave? Maybe he could come back and help too? I just remember him having trouble scheduling with his job and then he vanished.

BTW I also picked up on Rick's use of interstitial in the "The Show Must Go On" pod before C-Mart commented on it. It seemed like an unusual word to use!

Please would you get Paul back in to talk about the Amico when his NDA runs out? Seems like it would be missed opportunity not to! We all want to hear about what went on there.

Finally I know C-Mart likes his boxes. I recently got Death Race and Gooninuff from CollectorVision. They are great games and high quality but I hate that piece of polystyrene in the box. I haven't got my games handy to check but I think it holds the cart in place. Feels a bit rough and cheap.  What does he think about this? Can he get on to them and perhaps shame them into replacing that with something more professional like they had in the old days. Thank you.

Keep up the great work 👍

7 hours ago, SpicedUp! said:

I have some feedback :

Enjoying the new Intellvisionaries series guys! Thank you for keeping the podcast going. I thought the first episode was a bit lacking in the usual humour but this was understandable since it was your first episode running everything. The humour definitely came back in the 2nd and 3rd pods though. Otherwise was all very good!

I have heard most of your old episodes but not all of them. Did BurgerTime actually leave? Maybe he could come back and help too? I just remember him having trouble scheduling with his job and then he vanished.

BTW I also picked up on Rick's use of interstitial in the "The Show Must Go On" pod before C-Mart commented on it. It seemed like an unusual word to use!

Please would you get Paul back in to talk about the Amico when his NDA runs out? Seems like it would be missed opportunity not to! We all want to hear about what went on there.

Finally I know C-Mart likes his boxes. I recently got Death Race and Gooninuff from CollectorVision. They are great games and high quality but I hate that piece of polystyrene in the box. I haven't got my games handy to check but I think it holds the cart in place. Feels a bit rough and cheap.  What does he think about this? Can he get on to them and perhaps shame them into replacing that with something more professional like they had in the old days. Thank you.

Keep up the great work 👍

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. 👍🏻 

First off, if an episode is not funny then that is 100% Rick's fault as he is in charge of editing now. 😂 I give him all the material in the world so clearly he has bumbled it. We genuinely do want folks to be informed and entertained and occasionally laugh, although admittedly our sense of humour may be different than some others. 

Rick did confirm off air that he had recently received a "Word of the Day" calendar and "interstitial" had in fact been a recent word. 

Paul is currently working on securing more interviews so he'll definitely be back here and there going forward. We also have a Hockey episode to work on which he'll definitely be on so he can try and explain how he altered the ROM so that I was penalized 14 times in one game which was clearly the only reason he beat me 1-0

Yes I am a big fan of well done boxes and Collectorvision has been making CV and Inty games for a long time and I've been very happy with what they've produced.
They do use polystyrene for cart retention and for keeping the box shape which I must admit I haven't really had an issue with. There are certainly a number of different cart retention solutions out there from all the different producers, some of which work better than others. I think J-F and Toby have always been open to feedback on their products so I might suggest messaging them with your thoughts. 

I can attest to the costs involved with producing these modern homebrews and they're not insignificant so I think it's a bit of a balancing act between wanting to add tons of bells and whistles and keeping costs from getting out of control, however I understand you wanting a different retention system for the cart. Some of the companies from the 125 era had some really good ones, starting with Mattel's original gatefolds to be sure. 

Rick and I are hopefully going to be recording soon and if he'd stop eating Cheezits for 5 minutes maybe we'd be able to get the next episode out in the not too distant future. Thanks again for listening and I hope you enjoy whatever we put out next. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 4:47 AM, cmart604 said:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. 👍🏻 

First off, if an episode is not funny then that is 100% Rick's fault as he is in charge of editing now. 😂 I give him all the material in the world so clearly he has bumbled it. We genuinely do want folks to be informed and entertained and occasionally laugh, although admittedly our sense of humour may be different than some others. 

Rick did confirm off air that he had recently received a "Word of the Day" calendar and "interstitial" had in fact been a recent word. 

Paul is currently working on securing more interviews so he'll definitely be back here and there going forward. We also have a Hockey episode to work on which he'll definitely be on so he can try and explain how he altered the ROM so that I was penalized 14 times in one game which was clearly the only reason he beat me 1-0

Yes I am a big fan of well done boxes and Collectorvision has been making CV and Inty games for a long time and I've been very happy with what they've produced.
They do use polystyrene for cart retention and for keeping the box shape which I must admit I haven't really had an issue with. There are certainly a number of different cart retention solutions out there from all the different producers, some of which work better than others. I think J-F and Toby have always been open to feedback on their products so I might suggest messaging them with your thoughts. 

I can attest to the costs involved with producing these modern homebrews and they're not insignificant so I think it's a bit of a balancing act between wanting to add tons of bells and whistles and keeping costs from getting out of control, however I understand you wanting a different retention system for the cart. Some of the companies from the 125 era had some really good ones, starting with Mattel's original gatefolds to be sure. 

Rick and I are hopefully going to be recording soon and if he'd stop eating Cheezits for 5 minutes maybe we'd be able to get the next episode out in the not too distant future. Thanks again for listening and I hope you enjoy whatever we put out next. 

Thanks for getting back to me Cmart

I did film studies as part of my degree (yes i know - useless!) and that was the only time I have ever used or heard the word "interstitial". But it's good to see the Intellivisionaries are being educational now.

As for clearly cheating against you at hockey - maybe Paul was angry with you? There are rumours that you and Rick forced him out - in order to split the huge profits from the podcast 2 ways instead of 3...

I do like the Collectorvision boxes too - apart from that polystyrene. Plastic or cardboard would be much better. The polystyrene just looks a bit rough and pieces will probably break off it as it wears. Ok yes I will get onto the Collectorvision guys about this. 

Looking forward to the new episode. Thanks again for keeping it going! Sounds like you might have a potential Cheezits sponsorship there :)

On 1/13/2024 at 12:52 PM, SpicedUp! said:

I wanted to say I thought that was great! Normally that would annoy me on other pods but you did it so well. I did want you to stop after a while though because I knew how much work that must be. Especially when there were large gaps before a new episode. To keep that up for all those episodes was incredible really. Also I really liked the start and end tunes which I think you wrote 👍

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.  It would be interesting (maybe scary) to know just how many hours I spent on editing and production over all those episodes.  The primary motivation was making ourselves laugh.

Yes, the intro and outro music was my own, as are many of the other interstitial segment bumpers and transitional bits.  When Rick took over production I gave him some shorter edited versions to use, to differentiate the new format episodes from the traditional ones I did.  I’m glad you liked the music.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:59 PM, SpicedUp! said:

William moved on to another retro gaming YouTube show which better fit his schedule and interests.  And yes, it was always difficult coordinate schedules.

Someone should make a movie called Interstitial.  The main plot line would never get going.  It would just be a series of character tangents.  Since you have that degree, maybe you should get to work on that? ;-)

I’m not sure I have all that much to say about the Amico, and I don’t think the majority of show listeners care to hear about it either.  There’s plenty of “fan fiction” to read here if you’re so inclined.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 3:35 PM, nurmix said:

William moved on to another retro gaming YouTube show which better fit his schedule and interests.  And yes, it was always difficult coordinate schedules.

Someone should make a movie called Interstitial.  The main plot line would never get going.  It would just be a series of character tangents.  Since you have that degree, maybe you should get to work on that? ;-)

I’m not sure I have all that much to say about the Amico, and I don’t think the majority of show listeners care to hear about it either.  There’s plenty of “fan fiction” to read here if you’re so inclined.

Good luck to William on his new show! I was never sure that he had officially left.

haha I mean the name sounds a lot like Interstellar. Maybe it could be a sequel of sorts? Would definitely have to get the Intellivision in there too to represent the peak of Earth's achievements...

I should say that really my degree wasn't in film. I just chose film studies as part of it so I could watch films.

That's a shame about the Amico. I would like to hear about it. Always better to hear the truth than speculation. I hope you talk about it one day.

Have you guys ever thought of recording live now? You can play all the jingles (do you call them that in the US?) live too. That would save so much time. I listen to a couple of pods that are recorded live. I imagine it takes practice to get it tight though.