IGNORED

Berzerk II - (Concept , Box cover , map layout)

Riko

SMALL_updated_map_2.thumb.png.df3d501f8c41962ef89897df05ebb224.png

Was tinkering around some more and plotting some things with regards to room states and sound samples, just some of the sounds that i feel should be for certain objects or effects.

Laser should sound the same, loading / death effect, voice samples should be included also (somehow). Boss should have deeper pitch laser sound which is also far bigger. His shield / barrier should sound much akin to the Yars Revenge ambience. Evil otto could have a sound when he is alone on the screen with you / chase at the end.

- Evil Otto cannot spawn in rooms listed
(3F, 2F, 1F, 0F, 3D, 3G,4D, 4H, 5F,6J,8A
8C,8H,8i,10A,10D,10F,9K,11D,11F,11J,13B,
14F,13J)    However will spawn in any room
upon boss defeat after passing room 2F.

This is to prevent softlocks in case you cannot escape him / if he is invincible.

- Loading new room blacks the screen
out as per usual, then loads correct,
background layout + enemies.

- Exit can appear in rooms listed
( 5B,6B,7B,8A,9A,10A,11B,12B,13B,14F,13J
12J,11J,10K,9K,8K,7J,6J,5J)

This occurs after defeating the main boss.

Also audio warning, most are loudly pitched.

Edited by Riko
Layouts

3 hours ago, Riko said:

It was the first one i played and i kind really enjoyed the vibe. I found it kind of scary honestly, just how quiet and minimal it all was.

Yeah, I didn't play it until I was a teenager, but it has a real unique charm to it.

It was also WAY ahead of it's time. And between it inspiring both Roboton and Castle Wolfenstein, it's arguably the origin of 90s FPS game design along with Gauntlet. I'm kinda glad Atari scooped up the rights to it as it needs some love.

In short, it's probably one of my favorite Arcade games. Also, Evil Otto is the most unintentionally adorable villain ever (and I love that Recharged leaned into that).

The internet can come up with whatever creepypasta legends they want, I will never find him scary. I love him.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Yeah, I didn't play it until I was a teenager, but it has a real unique charm to it.

It was also WAY ahead of it's time. And between it inspiring both Roboton and Castle Wolfenstein, it's arguably the origin of 90s FPS game design along with Gauntlet. I'm kinda glad Atari scooped up the rights to it as it needs some love.

In short, it's probably one of my favorite Arcade games. Also, Evil Otto is the most unintentionally adorable villain ever (and I love that Recharged leaned into that).

The internet can come up with whatever creepypasta legends they want, I will never find him scary. I love him.

I only really got into Atari stuff in the late 2000s, Berserk kind of struck a cord with me, i thought evil otto was a spectre or something, he only appeared one day randomly * i hit one of the switches * and it scared the crap out of me cause he was never there before, i had no clue what was going on. I thought the game was beatable though found out later it just went on forever, always wanted some kinda closure of having the game beatable.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 2:19 AM, Shaun David said:

I would definitely would like for Bezerk 2 get finished  looks amazing!!👍👍

I had spent about a week or so tinkering in assembly and by other means and slowly learned this is likely far beyond my ability to do i think. If the tools I had were more straight forward or this was in some modern gsmd building engine could prolly pull it off but as it stands i doubt i can manage. So I guess will just leave what I have up in case something happens with it one day.

• 2 months later...

I can do it on Amiga, I have already played several games on that team

On 12/19/2023 at 3:11 AM, Riko said:

I had spent about a week or so tinkering in assembly and by other means and slowly learned this is likely far beyond my ability to do i think. If the tools I had were more straight forward or this was in some modern gsmd building engine could prolly pull it off but as it stands i doubt i can manage. So I guess will just leave what I have up in case something happens with it one day.