IGNORED

Most *Technically* Advanced machine of each generation?

RCmodeler

Also, if you want to give credit for introducing CDs to gaming, then you should point to the Windows PC.  It was first to use CDs and full-motion/pre-recorded movies.

:? I don't recall giving credit to the PSX for introducing CDs to gaming. CD based games were around for some time before the PSX.

I don't recall giving credit to the PSX for introducing CDs to gaming.

Yeah okay. So anyway getting back on topic: The PS1 had CDs which gave it more storage room, but the N64 was more advanced in every other aspect:

- Faster processor (~3 times faster)

- More colors/polygons

- More on-board storage (memory)

- Higher max resolution (640x480 for N64 vs. 320x200 for PS1)

Overall the N64 was the more advanced system.

Hi there!

Think about it like this:

Gen 1: Fairchild, 2600 etc.

Gen 2: Intv, 5200, Colecovision

Gen 3: NES, SMS, 7800

Gen 4: Genesis, TG-16, SNES, Neo Geo

Gen 5: 3DO, Jag, 32X

Gen 6: PSX, Saturn, N64

Gen 7: Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, X-Box

Remove Gen 5 and I agree. Three DOA systems certainly don't make a generation :lolblue:

Greetings,

Manuel

Ok - where would you place them? They were significantly advanced over the Genesis and SNES but not as advanced as the PS, Saturn? They started introducing 3D graphics, texture mapping, 16 million colours, polygons etc.

I don't recall giving credit to the PSX for introducing CDs to gaming.

Yeah okay. So anyway getting back on topic: The PS1 had CDs which gave it more storage room, but the N64 was more advanced in every other aspect:

- More colors/polygons

You started a thread asking for the most 'technically' advanced systems. Using CD technology makes PSX more 'technically' advanced in that it used a more current technology than the N64.

If you just want to reiterate the same specs over and over without presenting an actual arguement as to why you feel the specs make the N64 more advanced in your opinion, why bother asking for anyone's opinion?

Gen 1: Fairchild' date=' 2600 etc.

Gen 7: Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, X-Box[/quote']

Here's how I'd define them:

Pre-crash (77-84): Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision

1985-90: NES, SMS, 7800

1991-95: S-NES, Genesis, Neo Geo

1996-00: PS1, N64, Saturn

2000-05: PS2, Cube, Xbox

The "other" consoles like Jaguar, 3DO, and Dreamcast I'd consider abberations... either too late or too early to make any long-term impact on the world... and therefore not worth remembering or categorizing.

Gen 1: Fairchild, 2600 etc.

Gen 7: Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, X-Box

Here's how I'd define them:

The "other" consoles like Jaguar, 3DO, and Dreamcast I'd consider abberations... either too late or too early to make any long-term impact on the world... and therefore not worth remembering or categorizing.

Ohh man.....you make no sense at all. Are you trying to tell me that the 7800 or the Neo Geo made a long term impact in the videogame industry? Even if a system isn't popular doesn't mean it didn't leave an impact. Take the Jaguar and 3DO as examples. Both these systems crossed the bridge in between 2D and 3D consoles. Is that not important? You can also bet your ass that Sega and Sony made sure that their upcoming systems were more powerful than these.

The PS1 had CDs which gave it more storage room, but the N64 was more advanced in every other aspect:

- More colors/polygons

1. True

2. False. The original PlayStation can actually draw more polygons than N64 can.

3. True

4. False. PlayStation has some games that are in 640x480 resolution.

Ohh man.....you make no sense at all. .....Take the Jaguar and 3DO as examples. Both these systems crossed the bridge in between 2D and 3D consoles. Is that not important?

You are way too sensitive. Calm down. They're just pieces of plastic and metal. For me systems like Jaguar & Dreamcast are examples of poorly-timed releases. They fell right in the middle of a generation, and the result was a total flop.

The PS1 had CDs which gave it more storage room, but the N64 was more advanced in every other aspect:

- More colors/polygons

1. True

2. False. The original PlayStation can actually draw more polygons than N64 can.

3. True

4. False. PlayStation has some games that are in 640x480 resolution.

2. I find that hard to believe, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Have you got stats for N64 vs. PS1 polygon-drawing ability?

4. PS1 games in 640x480 resolution? NOT! The PS1 can't draw greater than 320x200 (240 overscan). You can not name a single game that exceeds that resolution.

How are 6 million+ Dreamcast consoles sold a "total flop"? Also, I don't see the DC as being "between generations". It was significantly better than the PS1 and the PS2, based upon what I've seen, did little to improve upon it.

I like the Jaguar, but at less than half a million sold, I can align to that being a "total flop".

I was able to find a nicely detailed spec sheet for the N64, but only found the bare minimum of specs for the PS. However, maybe you guys can argue better with these things, personally I don't know what alot of that crap means. Sadly I couldn't acquire a polygon count for the PS, someone needs to produce that for us...here ya go:

N64:

Processors:

64-bit MIPS R4300 RISC CPU running at 93.75 Mhz (125 MIPs) with true 64-bit data path and registers

64-bit RISC "Reality Immersion" graphics co-processor running at 62.5 Mhz (100+ MFLOPS) with onboard rendering processor to handle textures, anti-aliasing, z-buffering

Geometry engine provides support for hardware based shading, z-buffering, perspective correct texture mapping, tri-linear mip-mapping, anti-aliasing, 256-level alpha channel, LOD Management. Sprite effects include rotation, scaling, anti-aliasing, 256-level alpha channel effects.

Overall, the Nintendo 64 is capable of rendering about 160,000 polygons with all hardware features enabled.

Outputs:

256 x 224 pixel resolution (low-res); 640 x 480 pixel resolution (high-res) 32-bit RGBA pixel color frame buffer (21-bit color output)

Memory:

4 MB RAM (128K memory data path); Rambus DRAM memory subsystem allows theoretical transfers up to 563 MB/second

Sound:

CD quality 16-bit stereo sound at 44.1 Khz maximum 100 PCM channels

Playstation Tech Specs:

Specification

CPU 32-bit RISC

Clock speed 33.9 MHz

RAM 512 Kb

VRAM 8 Mb

Audio 4 Mb RAM

Hard drive 16 Mb

Resolution 740 x 480 pixels

4. PS1 games in 640x480 resolution?  NOT!  The PS1 can't draw greater than 320x200 (240 overscan).  You can not name a single game that exceeds that resolution.

Check it out. I know of at least one game that ran in 640x480 resolution but I don't remember the name and I don't want to look through my old magazines to find it.

PS1

MODE RESOLUTION

-4- 640x480

Well, I'll be jiggered. I had no idea that PS1 could do this. I always thought only the N64 could do hi-res.

How are 6 million+ Dreamcast consoles sold a "total flop"?

When your competition sells 30 million and 100 million units (N64 & PS1 respectively), then 6 million is a flop. (When the console sells so poorly that Sega abandons the hardware market, that can also be called a flop.)

When your competition sells 30 million and 100 million units (N64 & PS1 respectively), then 6 million is a flop. (When the console sells so poorly that Sega abandons the hardware market, that can also be called a flop.)

Yes, but compared to most of the others on "the list", the Dreamcast was actually quite a strong seller with 10 million consoles sold.

As for "poor selling", there's more to it than that. In the last five years, the industry shifted from a "make marginal profit on consoles, make main profits on games" model to "lose money on consoles extensively and hope to make the money back on games that need to sell like gangbusters in 8 weeks" model.

Sega, after the debacles known as Sega CD, 32X (a true flop), Saturn, Nomad etc., didn't have the cash to compete longterm under a model like this.

The Dreamcast had a good library of games and it sold well. Hardly a FLOP.

Yeah okay.  So anyway getting back on topic:  The PS1 had CDs which gave it more storage room, but the N64 was more advanced in every other aspect:  

- More colors/polygons  

may have had more resolution, but where's the point in that if, by the time it reaches your screen, it's just mud?

I got an N64 fairly late in its life and it was such a shame that the graphics were so damn messy because you could see there was real power going on behind them.

The games were too expensive as well.