IGNORED

Champ Games

Intellivision Master

23 minutes ago, tkarner said:

I'd check your display settings because their webpage looks crystal clear to me.

Actually looks good in Chrome, but the screenshots are from Firefox. I don't see anything I can change.

edit: I have allow sites to decide what fonts to use checked.

Edited by JasperAK

On 12/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, scifidude79 said:

Nice, thanks for the link. Man, they have Qix. They spelled it differently, likely to avoid a legal issue, but I know what it is. That's one of my favorite games from when I was a kid. We had it for the 5200.

I have it and it's incredible. I highly recommend ordering it if you're a Qix fan. 

My 17 year old, who isn't a huge Atari fan, had 2 friends spend the night shortly after I got Qyx. The Atari was hooked up in our family room. One of the boys had never even seen an Atari and wanted to try it. They ended up staying up practically all night playing it. I still haven't beaten my son's high score *sigh*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, remowilliams said:

Very talented developer using advanced hardware contained in the cart that is several orders of magnitude more powerful than the system it is plugged into.

Yeah, I adore their work... BUT it does feel a bit like cheating at times, lol.

Not that I care, since I just want solid arcade conversions for Atari that never were (or were terrible) especially since I now have an actual atari console, and I admire the effort put in to get them working right. They're also good if there are no other decent conversions to anything other than MAME. I have Wizard of Wor Arcade on my 3DS to play in Stella since there's no other decent port of it. (and the same can be said for a few other unrelated homebrews like Draconian).

Hell some of their conversions are imo better than the actual official conversions for later hardware (eg RobotWars 2684 vs Robotron on the 7800). I love seeing what people can do with limited hardware/controls.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Redrum237 said:

would love to see Donkey Kong from Champ Games !!!

I would say that DK VCS and Pac-Man 4/8K are absolutely on par with any of Champs' conversions.

If they were to work on any butchered Nintendo 2600 game, I would say DK Jr. is in need of a serious overhaul, but at the same time you don't want to have the Big N sic their lawyers on you for selling a DK game, so it would have to be "legally distinct".

The best kind of distinct.

19 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Not that I care, since I just want solid arcade conversions for Atari that never were (or were terrible) especially since I now have an actual atari console, and I admire the effort put in to get them working right. They're also good if there are no other decent conversions to anything other than MAME. I have Wizard of Wor Arcade on my 3DS to play in Stella since there's no other decent port of it. (and the same can be said for a few other unrelated homebrews like Draconian).

Hell some of their conversions are imo better than the actual official conversions for later hardware (eg RobotWars 2684 vs Robotron on the 7800). I love seeing what people can do with limited hardware/controls.

As a 5200 owner I cannot disagree with that statement, in fact, even though I own both Big Sexy and Lil’ Sexy (7800) and an XEGS and a ColecoVision that are stationed in my home arcade in my gaming area of my 1-bed/1-bath apartment it seems more and more (thanks to the advances in both knowledge over the past 40 years and also due to one @johnnywc John Champeau and Champ Games’ fantastic work) that it has been “Mini Sexy” (my newly-penned up nickname for my 2600 Jr. Short Rainbow) has been taking up most of my gaming time over the past year or two.

Games like RobotWar: 2684, Qyx, Galagon, and Gorf Arcade are sights to behold and regardless of whether you want the cartridge or the ROM or both they are absolute MUST HAVES for ANY 2600 owner’s library of titles.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

This was a good interview.  I just wanted to share it. 

Thanks for sharing. This really was a good interview. They covered several topics that should be informative for all, especially folks that may be new to the homebrew scene. 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 10:32 AM, Warboss Gegguz said:

Extra Hardware in the cart isn't anything new. Pokey chips, pitfall II, lots of NES games come to mind.

As for Console games being better than arcade, 2600 Space Invaders was better.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, Warboss Gegguz said:

I would say that DK VCS and Pac-Man 4/8K are absolutely on par with any of Champs' conversions.

If they were to work on any butchered Nintendo 2600 game, I would say DK Jr. is in need of a serious overhaul, but at the same time you don't want to have the Big N sic their lawyers on you for selling a DK game, so it would have to be "legally distinct".

The best kind of distinct.

Que "Krazy Kong"

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, Redrum237 said:

what does champ games do with their games to make them look and sound so good? what sorcery is this?

John Champeau is David Blaine    "wtf   how did he do that?"   level sheet.  

Edited by BillDMatt

On 12/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, Redrum237 said:

would love to see Donkey Kong from Champ Games !!!

They used to have one for PC in the 90s.  They were called ChamProgramming then.  I bought it and I think I still have the floppy it came on.  It was called Champ Kong.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=champ+kong

Edited by Rockymin
  • Like 1