And I think what @Austin said there is not only a point of fact now, but it was also back in the earlier mid-90s.  The game was a period SNES game, so technically it's not even a new one.  Sony was the only company the developers from Europe could find to pay up to publish this, and when they got caught by Nintendo trying to pull one with the CD story of events, they terminated their business ties to start work on their own system and as such buried this game.  No other developer wanted it, it just happened to be that local boy(to me then) owner of SFT caught wind of the game, then a ROM of the SNES game leaked online, and well the rest is history.  It was a popular sell into the hundreds, hundreds...a run for old SNES games was 10000 and no one wanted that liability as it's a mediocre game that would have been super buried under what came out around 1994 forward on SNES.  Do you want Nightmare Busters or SUper Metroid, or DKC trilogy by the year, etc.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Pocky & Rocky games are stone-cold classic run & guns (run & ...cards, I guess?), with the second one being kind of a hidden gem, I think. I just don't see a lot of talk around 2, I wonder if it didn't sell well.

Gunman's Proof could maybe squeak in here as a run & gun adventure game, and it's pretty good on that front.

• Like 3

Even the first one? I thought that one was fairly common. A couple of people in the small town I grew up in had copies, but maybe that was an anomaly. Never seen the 2nd one in person, though, and didn't even know it existed until sometime in the 2000s.

4 hours ago, WavyGravy said:

The Pocky & Rocky games are stone-cold classic run & guns (run & ...cards, I guess?), with the second one being kind of a hidden gem, I think. I just don't see a lot of talk around 2, I wonder if it didn't sell well.

Gunman's Proof could maybe squeak in here as a run & gun adventure game, and it's pretty good on that front.

Having played both, and was a big fan of the first one, I thought the 2 game's pixel art wasn't exactly on par with the first game. Weird, considering it's a sequel.

8 hours ago, WavyGravy said:

Even the first one? I thought that one was fairly common. A couple of people in the small town I grew up in had copies, but maybe that was an anomaly. Never seen the 2nd one in person, though, and didn't even know it existed until sometime in the 2000s.

In my years buying retro games locally, I have NEVER run into a copy of Pocky and Rocky 1, I have run into the second game, the game I got extremely lucky on. The shop I went to had it tucked away where customers wouldn't see it, and they had it priced for $25. Their bathroom was behind one of the glass counters they had, and since the owner knew me, he let me go do my business. On my way out, I just happened to be looking at the case, and spotted that little bastard, and since it was marked $25, they didn't have much choice, and nicely sold it to me for $25. Since they did that, and I was extremely thankful that they did, I spent about another $175 on retro games in that shop that day. I know for sure, I'll never be lucky with the first game, and no way am I paying that high for a copy if I ever see one. I made sure to visit their shop weekly instead of every couple weeks, but eventually the stock dried up, and the guy shut down. I did jokingly tell him if he ever got a Little Samson, he could make a fortune, joke was on me, 2 weeks later, someone brought in a copy, but he only sold it on Ebay for $200.

Edited by Bloodreign

On 12/6/2023 at 11:25 PM, Austin said:

Judge Dredd is actually pretty good if you’re into that more exploratory gameplay style. I enjoyed it for what it was (owned it as a kid). That said, I don’t revisit it often because I prefer more straightforward, arcade-style titles.

Oh, speaking of arcade-style, there’s also Gunforce. The SNES version is average at best, but I still played it a lot when I was younger.

I never played Judge Dredd on either SNES or Genesis so, i might take your recomendation and play it in the future :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be honest on the Super NES port of Gunforce: it was weak, and not helped by the fact that IREM outsourced it. Having the Y button to jump and B button to fire is in all honesty, awkward. Combine that with the soundtrack that sounds like someone sampled SoundImages and you have something that is a black mark on IREM's otherwise great track record.