IGNORED

Hyperkin Ranger 7800 two button

suspicious_milk

So a funny thing.

On the 2600+ playing 7800 two button games ...

The main fire button (is unfortunately button two until the coming firmware update).

To activate 7800 button one (soon to be 2) just flip to paddle mode & back.

It appears with some very minor creative soldering, the Ranger could end up being the easiest 2600-7800 controller mod around.

Edit: if you dont mind losing paddle function; moving the paddle could activate the secondary fire.  🤔

Edited by suspicious_milk

13 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Yeah. Or you could just, you know, get a retrogameboyz pad.

Is that thumbstick microswitched, membranous, or conductive? Or at the very least does that thumbpad come off? because if it's one of the latter 2 and it doesn't, pass.

Edited by Warboss Gegguz

I mean, I like the positron of the buttons on the Ranger and it's closer to what was intended with the OG 2600/7800 controllers. Just good luck getting one.

That pad looks good, but having a weird thumbstick-thing on top of the D-Pad is something that always bugged me about the original EU 7800 controller.

So it's not really a feature I was looking to be replicated. lol.

Yeah. I understand. I also like the ranger. And own 2. Unfortunately it doesn't support all 7800 games.

I am not going to go get an old euro controller that might conk out on me, and i dont like the pro line controller, never did, so that seemed to be a good alternative so I can play Dark Chambers and one-on-one basketball on my 2600 Plus. Neither one of them is playable with the current firmware of the 2600 plus with its problem with reversed buttons and the Ranger as is.

Time will tell if I like it better than Ranger I guess

Edited by tradyblix

Atari is suppoedly going to drop a brand new 7800 controller on us soon; so the whole Hyperkin Ranger modding will likely soon be a moot point.  But I posted what I found with the Ranger for those interested in modding.  Most other controllers chosen for 7800 surgery have two or more buttons already, but are missing other bits.  The Ranger apparently has the other bits, but no second physical button (this, to me, looks like a fun challenge).  I would rather the Ranger over an SMS or NES pad for playing Atari; so really just pointing at a potential new option.

I'll definitely be buying any new two button Atari puts out ... unless it's a Proline replica 😬💩😭  at which point I've a Ranger a couple Wico Bats that are getting modded.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

Is that thumbstick microswitched, membranous, or conductive? Or at the very least does that thumbpad come off? because if it's one of the latter 2 and it doesn't, pass.

I bought two recently, and while I haven’t cracked the actual controllers open to inspect, the d-pad definitely feels membraned, and it feels great and comfortable.

That joystick thumb pad screws right off, leaving a standard d-pad with a matte finish, so there’s no slipping. For a more NES style experience, the creator did include an interchangeable d-pad that doesn’t have the hole for screwing in the thumb stick, and it has a standard shiny finish. Haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve played NES for 35 years, so I have an idea of what to expect. 😂

Personally, I like the stick attached to the d-pad, because with that membraned feel, it feels natural for 2600 play. It’s also got a soft silicone / rubber feel, so it doesn’t grind thumbs like the 7800 Euro gamepad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ls650 said:

Ben from Plaion has posted pics of the "Europad" 2-button controller.  Pretty sure that's what it'll be if it goes ahead.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 8.41.19 PM.png

I don’t have any two-button 7800 games, but if they sold one of these with a conventional “plus” pad instead of that centre-stick thing I’d get one as an alternative for hand cramping with the CX-40. That goofy buttons on the side design (why the hell did companies keep doing that - especially Atari) is a total non-starter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

I don’t have any two-button 7800 games, but if they sold one of these with a conventional “plus” pad instead of that centre-stick thing I’d get one as an alternative for hand cramping with the CX-40. That goofy buttons on the side design (why the hell did companies keep doing that - especially Atari) is a total non-starter.

The stick is removable, and the resulting hole can be filled if it otherwise hurts your thumb.

• Like 1

I purchased some NOS "europads" from eBay a few years ago.

They felt cheap & the button placement was off - - purely subjective of course.

If Atari replicates these, I'll be cautiously optimistic that the quality will be better than the originals.

I am really hoping to see a 7800 remake of the famous M-Netwwork blue Tron stick.  Slim chance, for sure; but it's certainly an iconic piece, & Atari owns M-Netwwork now (they'd have to lose any Tron branding obviously) --- but two birds one stone ... one can hope.

On 12/9/2023 at 6:40 AM, Sean_1970 said:

These are cool. One of the reasons why I don't want to buy vintage ones is the Vac-metal is always a mess on the logo 30 years later. So getting brand new / fresh ones would be worth it

• Like 2

On 12/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, suspicious_milk said:

I purchased some NOS "europads" from eBay a few years ago.

They felt cheap & the button placement was off - - purely subjective of course.

If Atari replicates these, I'll be cautiously optimistic that the quality will be better than the originals.

I am really hoping to see a 7800 remake of the famous M-Netwwork blue Tron stick.  Slim chance, for sure; but it's certainly an iconic piece, & Atari owns M-Netwwork now (they'd have to lose any Tron branding obviously) --- but two birds one stone ... one can hope.

The CX-40+ teardown and comparison video I saw convinces me that any new controllers they decide to make aren’t going to be cheap rubbish 👍

• Like 3

It has been confirmed we'll be getting (two button) gamepads, not joysticks.

Idk man.  Gamepads just don't scream Atari for me.  I'll buy them second they are available;  as the quality of the plus & it's AMAZING joysticks give me great confidence they'll be good quality controllers.  I'll also be modding a real stick as gamepads just don't cut it for many Atari games.

I understand why they went this route.  They've been making great effort to keep things classic & replicating the Proline sticks would've been a disaster (they suk monkey beans, to be mild).  Had they "fixed" the Proline sticks for a re-release they'd have had to look radically different (hypothetically pissing off purists ... though in this instance I don't think anyone would've cared 😅)  While the pads were euro only, they are still the better 7800 "OG" controller.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, suspicious_milk said:

It has been confirmed we'll be getting (two button) gamepads, not joysticks.

Idk man.  Gamepads just don't scream Atari for me.  I'll buy them second they are available;  as the quality of the plus & it's AMAZING joysticks give me great confidence they'll be good quality controllers.  I'll also be modding a real stick as gamepads just don't cut it for many Atari games.

I understand why they went this route.  They've been making great effort to keep things classic & replicating the Proline sticks would've been a disaster (they suk monkey beans, to be mild).  Had they "fixed" the Proline sticks for a re-release they'd have had to look radically different (hypothetically pissing off purists ... though in this instance I don't think anyone would've cared 😅)  While the pads were euro only, they are still the better 7800 "OG" controller.

I wasn't expecting a gamepad either.  But I guess Atari wants to do this since we never got the euro pad in the US.  Maybe later on Atari will bring out a new 7800 joystick.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I wasn't expecting a gamepad either.  But I guess Atari wants to do this since we never got the euro pad in the US.  Maybe later on Atari will bring out a new 7800 joystick.  Time will tell.

I'm actually disappointed it's a gamepad. I grew up with the Proline joysticks. I don't care if other people don't like them, I do. It's not a truly immersive Atari 7800 experience without them. Unfortunately, many of the ones you can find on Ebay are non working/for parts joysticks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I'm actually disappointed it's a gamepad. I grew up with the Proline joysticks. I don't care if other people don't like them, I do. It's not a truly immersive Atari 7800 experience without them. Unfortunately, many of the ones you can find on Ebay are non working/for parts joysticks.

I recently got a 7800 with an AV mod & the joystick was included.  The buttons don't really work that well.  The joystick works fine.  Holding the controller is awkward.  I can see why people don't like it.  But it's nice to have one since I never had one before.  I use the 7800 gamepad from Retro Game Boyz and it's much easier for me.  Also, I use the Fighter Stick SG-6 too.  I actually prefer the Fighter Stick.  Perhaps if Atari does make a newer 7800 joystick, it can be made to feel more comfortable in the hand.  Not sure if they'll do that.  Anyway, to me the 7800 joystick always reminded me of a door stopper.  Lol.